Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    but Sabian rides and hihats are the best

How do ya say that?..based on your ear?
    TO ME there the best of the two.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian vs. zildjian

Originated in Turkey...why does that matter? just curious?
    Because they're made from pure FREEDOM of course!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nedgarallanpoe View Post
    because they're made from pure freedom of course!
    Murika!!
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

I'd say Sabian mostly because a lot of the people that influenced me to play drums played Sabian so I gravitated towards the Sabians in the store and i've stuck with them since. They're made in Canada which brings down the price a little since I live here. I haven't given zildjian a real try though, i've heard a few and I have the stupid pitch blacks which was a beginners mistake, although I still think the hats are pretty good for what they are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I prefer to choose cymbals by sound rather than manufacturer. I have both Zildjians and Sabians on my kits. I like Zildjian A Custom crashes & hi-hats, and my ride is a Sabian AAX Studio. I also keep a Zildjian K crash/ride on my kit.
    I like that way close your eyes and hit away.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Zildjian. Made in America. Which is important to me.
    I agree made in America is important to me but Canada is my one exception. that and Europe but anything Asia or mexico are just a no go for me.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NedgarAllanPoe View Post
    I'd say Sabian mostly because a lot of the people that influenced me to play drums played Sabian so I gravitated towards the Sabians in the store and i've stuck with them since. They're made in Canada which brings down the price a little since I live here. I haven't given zildjian a real try though, i've heard a few and I have the stupid pitch blacks which was a beginners mistake, although I still think the hats are pretty good for what they are.
    How much cheaper? When i think about it i have the same story to all my instructers are sabian players, my favorite drummer plays them (ray luzier). I think if i ever get a vintage kit i'll find vintage zildjians ohh wait they where made at sabian factory.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Yep Sabians are made in the original Canadian Zildjian factory, thats also why Zildjian has no hand hammered cymbals and Sabian does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yep Sabians are made in the original Canadian Zildjian factory, thats also why Zildjian has no hand hammered cymbals and Sabian does.
    I didn't know that zildjian cymbals had no hand hammered. I just am not attracted to them as much. Why is that if anyone knows?
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    I didn't know that zildjian cymbals had no hand hammered. I just am not attracted to them as much. Why is that if anyone knows?
    Yup, it's true. Zildjian has no true hand hammered line any longer.

One of the reasons I've read about for the Zildjian/Sabian split was because of consistency. Robert Zildjian was unhappy about the lack of it, and set out to fix the problem.

User Info Menu

Why do they have no hand hammered? It goes back to the big split, When the company split, Armand took the more modern factory in the states, Robert took the old factory with all the artisens and things havent changed much lol

User Info Menu

Whatever sounds good when I hit it with a stick. I dunno. Sabian HHX Evolution hats are to date my personal favorite hats, so if I had to pick I'd go with Sabian, but other than that... The ink on a cymbal really doesn't bother me.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Zildjian. Made in America. Which is important to me.
    Like!
    Quote Originally Posted by NedgarAllanPoe View Post
    Because they're made from pure FREEDOM of course!
    Right on!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I have to say both companies make great cymbals and it really just comes down to what sounds good to your ears.Myself I am a Sabian person and have been since I started.Not to say I haven't owned any Zildjian cymbals,I have because I got them cheap and used them until I was able to get Sabians.
    I have not found a Zildjian China I like the sound of,but I have found about 6 different Sabian China's I do like the sound of and I own 4 of them.I never cared much for Zildjian crashes especially now that I have been using a few Evolution crashes on my kit.
    I don't like replying to these types of post because some people take it to personal.Use and buy what sounds good to you is the only advice a drummer should take when buying new cymbals.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I agree made in America is important to me but Canada is my one exception. that and Europe but anything Asia or mexico are just a no go for me.
    Whoa! Mexico is part of North America as well.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Actually the K Constinoples are hand hammered.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm lovin the sudden patraism.

Good old Made in America cymbals hovering over those Taiwanese and Chinese drums!

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

All my shells are American made (DW, Peavey), with Canadian cymbals. I simply grew up with Sabian and had no real reason to look elsewhere when I bought this current set. I'm not disappointed in the sound at all. I love all of them. Also helps that the Sabian factory is in my home province. Made me want to support a local company.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Hi Digital. I missed the fact that you are Canadian as well. I've done a lot of hanging in Ottawa myself. Met my wife there. I own some made in Canada Zildjians. They were made at the same factory in NB as the Sabians presently.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think zildjian is my choice if i had a vintage kit and sabian for modern day.
    I use both Zildjian and Sabian cymbals separately or together depending on the mood of the day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Actually the K Constinoples are hand hammered.

all the best...
    Sorry, but they are machined hammered. Its a person using a machine that does each stike individually instead of one big stamp, but its not true hand hammering.

User Info Menu

Sorry, but they are machined hammered. Its a person using a machine that does each stike individually instead of one big stamp, but its not true hand hammering.
    OK

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've been playing Zildjian's since I bought my first 18" Zildjian A med crash back in 1977. I play their A Custom line mostly now. My hats are K Custom Hybrid's.
    I've always liked the sound of Zildjian's so I've stayed with them.

There are several cymbal makers out there now that all offer great sounding cymbals. Sabian is definitely one of them.

User Info Menu

How much cheaper? When i think about it i have the same story to all my instructers are sabian players, my favorite drummer plays them (ray luzier). I think if i ever get a vintage kit i'll find vintage zildjians ohh wait they where made at sabian factory.
    I'm not exactly sure how much cheaper but I know that an 18" Sabian AAXplosion crash at my local store is like $180 and when I went to Florida I went to multiple stores and the same cymbal was $230 or something like that, I expected things to be cheaper in America because prices of stuff are usually ridiculously high here, and the tax rate is double what it is in Florida. (or at least at the time)

User Info Menu

Originated in Turkey...why does that matter? just curious?
    Just does bro. And yeah, Zildjian doesn't hand hammer, and they charge an unjustified premium on their K's and K customs, but, they still sound really good to me.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi