Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabian vs. zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Sabian vs. zildjian

What one do you prefer
    Last edited by HolyChina; 05-21-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: I want to delete it

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian vs. zildjian

I Like the sound of both, but I'm a Zildjian owner. Mostly A's and Custom A's. Both companies make great sounding cymbals
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Either or.

User Info Menu

I like Zildjians. I have used Sabians, but prefer Zildjians. I have a couple of A's (rides) and the rest are K Dark and K Custom Dark.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

As far as I'm concerned, Sabian is just Zildjian but made in Canada. The founder of Sabian is a Zildjian. I'll never believe that the formulas are all that different.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, Sabian is just Zildjian but made in Canada. The founder of Sabian is a Zildjian. I'll never believe that the formulas are all that different.

all the best...
    I think zildjian is my choice if i had a vintage kit and sabian for modern day.

User Info Menu

I don't think you can go wrong with either, and the classic AA Sabians and A Zildjians are very similar. I prefer the AAX line, and most of the HH and HHX lines from Sabian, but the Zildjian K's are still very nice.

As stated, it's the same family and I don't think the formulas are all that different.

User Info Menu

I prefer Sabian over Zildjians most of the time. I do like the sound of A Customs, and a few others here and there. When it comes to sound consistency, Sabian's Quality control blows Zildjian away. When I first got into buying higher end cymbals I was going with Zildjian's. I fell in love with the sound of my 16" A Medium Crash, but cracked it. Every one I tried after that to replace it, didn't have the sound i was looking for and each on sounded different.

Sabian has always impressed me with their cymbals sounding extremely similar from one to another, in the same series and model.

I may have had a bad experience that turned me off to Zildjians, but Sabian's have kept me happy so never really looked back.
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

I prefer to choose cymbals by sound rather than manufacturer. I have both Zildjians and Sabians on my kits. I like Zildjian A Custom crashes & hi-hats, and my ride is a Sabian AAX Studio. I also keep a Zildjian K crash/ride on my kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I had the fish.
    \
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I had the fish.
    \

User Info Menu

i know people say zildjian and sabian are the same company, in a way they are I agree, but I think their overall sound profiles are different.

that being said, I prefer sabian, hh/x and aax
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I'm partial to the Sabian line of cymbals. With a few exceptions I feel as if Sabian cymbals have a longer sustain generally. With Zildjian cymbals, to me, they sound warmer and more mellow sounding. I prefer the Paragon line due to the fact that they are a mix of three different elements, the AA, HH, and AAX line of cymbals. Very musical and go good with many different rock genres.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

The zildjian family has been producing cymbals for over 300 years. That's longer than many countries have been around. Can't imagine there's much they don't know about cymbals.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Either company makes excellent cymbals. Two brothers making similar products. Robert Zildjian started Sabian, which is named after the first two letters of his 3 children. Both companies share the same amount of knowledge and experience over that 300 year period.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

ive played and heard both played by pros and ive always had the opinion that soundwise zildjians were the more aggressive, raw sounding cymbals and sabians were the more mellow but musical cymbals

User Info Menu

I always found that you gotta get lucky with Zils .Especially As. Very inconsistent. Had three 18" rock crashes lined up and all were significantly different. But for me its gotta be Zildjians. Ya gotta pick thru em but when you find it...man you found IT. Took me a year to find my rock crash....but then again I'm crazy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I'm partial to the Sabian line of cymbals. With a few exceptions I feel as if Sabian cymbals have a longer sustain generally. With Zildjian cymbals, to me, they sound warmer and more mellow sounding. I prefer the Paragon line due to the fact that they are a mix of three different elements, the AA, HH, and AAX line of cymbals. Very musical and go good with many different rock genres.
    Today I heard a 19" Paragon China for the first time and oh wow... that is a sweet China!! I may have to acquire one of those for my collection, very soon.
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

I personally prefer Sabian cymbals, but Zildjian certainly make nice stuff too.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Both are great. I tend to be partial to Sabian's HHX series though.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Game over...I've walked thru Zildjian factory 100's of times, and I'd bet my ummm..yeah, that you could match any cymbal in there to any Sabian, and vice-versa....

User Info Menu

Honestly it depends. Zildjian crashes and splashes sound great, but Sabian rides and hihats are the best.

But honestly it depends on the style of playing and the sound your looking for in cymbals. Honestly you can't compare them neither maker is better cuz it all comes down to what the person likes.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

but Sabian rides and hihats are the best

How do ya say that?..based on your ear?

User Info Menu

Zildjian. Made in America. Which is important to me.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Zildjian. Made in America. Which is important to me.
    Originated in Turkey...why does that matter? just curious?