Thread: Absolute Newbie - Cymbals: How many/type?

User Info Menu

Default Absolute Newbie - Cymbals: How many/type?

Hi All,

I am brand new to drumming, and am waiting on my first drum to be delivered, a snare drum.

While it's a long way off, I'm curious how a newbie would go about deciding about cymbals for a kit. I'm an old guy and have money available, and won't be starting with a beginner's kit...will probably end up doing something in the Drum Workshop line for drums. But what do you experts suggest as far as how many cymbals that someone like me should start with? How many, what type (hi hats, ride, crash, etc.) and what sizes? Of course, I'll start out by learning rudiments, but I would expect that I'd be leaning toward rock type drumming if I ever get any good.

So...what would all of you smart, knowledgeable guys suggest in terms of cymbals to start with? Again, I"m not planning to start with beginner stuff...as far as quality, it will be toward the pro end of the spectrum, but I'm not so much worried about brand and specific lines of cymbals, as much as how many and type. Thanks for any help
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Absolute Newbie - Cymbals: How many/type?

cabasner, if I were you, I'd start checking in all the music stores I could find in my area. I'd borrow a stick and I'd tap every cymbal I could find to find out what sound exited my ears. The selection of cymbals is a personal thing. It has to be a sound that you like (unless you are shopping for cymbals for a specific style of music).

Zildjian A's are always good chooses, as are Zildjian A Customs. Sabian has equivalents in their AA series, and AAX series.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

All major cymbal makers make "boxed" sets. which are matched to enhance each other and are a great way to get started with a family or brand of cymbal. Like stated earlier, go to a music store and ask to have a few cymbals setup with a kit. Sit down and start trying out the cymbals, and see which type, brand rings right to your ears. Once you find the model and brand, buy a matched box set and your on your way to spending lots of money!
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Well for starters you should get high hats and a ride and at least one crash better yet two, and make sure there is enough contrast between two crashes, you don't want them to sound too much alike, maybe a 16" and 18".

You will use your hats and ride to keep the beat going so to speak and crashes, splashes, china's, bells and other effects cymbals are for fills, you can "ride" on any of those as well.

Its all about personal preference and your tastes will probably change with time and experience. I used to like thick heavy cymbals as I was a heavy hitter but now lean more towards medium to thinner cymbals and don't hit as hard and learned some dynamics.
    Like stated go to a music store and write down everything that sounds good to you, have someone else hit it and stand back and listen it will sound different. There are to many great sounding symbols to list, If you like Neil Peart from Rush you might check out the Paragon line from Sabian, I have the 22" ride and its the best I have ever had for my tastes. good luck on your journey.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the site, cabasner. Everything said here so far is great advice. Like zarrdoss mentioned, and to make your decision, if you like how a particular artist's cymbals sound, go that way. Realizing that sounds can be enhanced and mixed though. I happen to love how Neil Pearts cymbals sound. So that's actually what I did. I now play on all Paragon cymbals. Going to music stores in your area if you have them is a good idea as well. The closest well stocked store for me is 400 miles away, so I had to make an educated guess. As far as what you should start with regarding cymbal types is as what has been said. Hi-hats, a ride, and 2 crashes would be a solid start. Although many have them, I am not a fan of the crash/ride cymbal. To me it's like buying a vcr/cd player. You have both options that aren't the best quality of either option. Adding a splash and a china cymbal later would be in order after that. Keep up up to date with your journey, man. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It depends on style. Look at drummers in that style and see what they have. If your wanting to cover all just get general cymbals like explosions but i personally would suggest a omni for a ride and a crash

User Info Menu

Personally i'd go with these to start..

14" hi hats
    16" and 18" crash
    20" ride(easier setup)
    8" or 10" splash
    18" china

This is just for a basic set up, you may decide you want more later but this will cover most any needs you have. The china and splash are optional, but they round out your array so you can play whatever you want. I do not recommend starting with high end gear though, mid is fine and doesn't put you too far in the hole in case you don't stick to it. There's also skills you develop on cheaper kits that you won't higher up like tuning, cleaning the kit, how to set it up, etc. One false move and that expensive lacquer finish is wrecked! Regardless, welcome to drumchat, can't wait to see the kit and cymbals you end up with!
    Last edited by Russ; 05-22-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks to all of you who answered! You've given me exactly the kind of responses I was hoping for!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Here's my cymbal layout. It's pretty much what Russ mentioned in his post.
    1. 14" - AAX Fast Hats
    2. 13" - HHX Evolution Hats (X-hat boom arm)
    3. 16" - AAX Studio Crash
    4. 8" - AAX Splash
    5. 10" - AAX Splash
    6. 18" - AAX Dark Crash
    7. 17" - AAXtreme Chinese
    8. 20" - AAX Stage Ride
    9. 16" - Zildjian A Custom Crash

Crash cymbals #3,#4 favors the hihat position
    Crash cymbals #5,#6, #7 favors the ride position
    Crash cymbal #9 favors 16x16 Floor tom, and 16" roto tom

User Info Menu

A beginner does not need a china or a splash. Especially someone starting with only a snare drum

Only three needed. Hats, ride, crash, and I'd go so far as to say, a hat and ride until the funamentals are down.

Welcome Cabasner

all the best...