Thread: All I got is a condenser mic?

User Info Menu

Default All I got is a condenser mic?

I'm recording in a home studio with a just a condenser mic...since I'm not paying for a studio I have all the time in the world. What are your suggestions for the highest quality sound???

User Info Menu

Default Re: All I got is a condenser mic?

Place as an overhead, adjust position and settings as needed. Hit record button. Post here for us to enjoy.

Tex

User Info Menu

Luke, with one condenser mic, the ideal sound has a lot to do with the room, and whether you can get a good "room sound." If not, then you will have to position the mic to get the best sound that you can get from the kit. That's probably going to be centered out front of the kit (distance can depend on the sensitivity of the mic, and how much "room" you want), and then you can adjust the height to capture the mix of sound that you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the great advice, Can you a good room? should i try to carpet the walls or something?

User Info Menu

The drums for When The Levee Breaks were recorded with two condensors in a stairwell.

User Info Menu

You could consider putting something between your kit and the mic. I recorded my kit with just one mic set up behind the couch in my basement and it didn't sound too bad.

User Info Menu

I have a ton of youtube videos that were recorded with just a small condenser pair and they sound great. There is not as much kick as I'd like, but it definitely works. As Pastor Bob mentioned, the room has a lot to do with it. You need a balance of hard and soft surfaces so it's not too dead, but still doesn't echo too much. I would try the mic 6 feet in front of the kit about head high and point it down at the bass drum. Your rack toms will come across a bit loud in the balance, but lay off them a tad and you are set.

User Info Menu

Hey I have had a ton of experience with home studio condenser stuff like that and even though the first thing that comes to most peoples minds is to use it as an overhead mic, I found through my own trials and errors that the best results come from more of a room mic set up. I believe that this works better because you get more of the body from the snare and kick, than if you have the mic above the kit. So I'd say for a sound with more body- put the mic about 10ft in front of the kit at about hip height!

Hope that helps!
    Skyler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The drums for When The Levee Breaks were recorded with two condensors in a stairwell.
    Didn't know that.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I don't think my drums would fit in a stairwell and be playable. Maybe a bop kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I don't think my drums would fit in a stairwell and be playable. Maybe a bop kit.
    IMAGINE if When The Levee Breaks had been played on a bop kit

But I think I'm going to have to try some of the placements mentioned here. I just have 1 condenser too, so there's some pretty cool ideas been mentioned that might help me get a better sound
    Last edited by Grace :); 06-09-2013 at 02:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    While recording 4 John recieved a new kit that was setup at the bottom of the stairs at Hedly. Jimmy happened to be walking down the stairs and when he got to a certain point he said "thats the sound!" They ran two condensers upp to that point in the stairwell and the rest is history!