Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which rack do you use or would use?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which rack do you use or would use?

I've got a completely different take on using a rack. For a while now, one group I've been involved in my role is as a percussionist. When we had first got together, all I was playing was acoustic percussion.....congas, bongos, timbales, a bit of exotic stuff like doumbek, etc. Stuff that wouldn't take that long to set up, minimal stands for stuff like the congas, timbales, a stand for windchimes and a small traps table to hold shakers and toys.

Not anymore. As I started adding foot operated cowbells, tambourine on a foot bracket and doing a bit more multi tasking, the percussion rig has started to morph and take a life of it's own. Then all of a sudden I started adding some electronic sounds courtesy of a Roland Octapad, then much later a Roland Handsonic. So away with the acoustic congas. Then the mini-timbales were ditched, replaced by two compact old Alesis pads attached to the Octapd. The foot-pedal operated cowbell and jam block now replaced by two Roland pads attached to the cowbell brackets (I kept the acoustic tamborine with the left foot) for their versatility....changing sounds at a moment's notice depending on the tune. Yep, my kit became more and more of a cyborg with a world of percussion sounds and textures at my fingertips....although a few elements are still acoustic. So it also meant I had to find a way to cut down a bit of set up time and not have to fuss too much on getting the set up right. So I resorted to looking at the big stock of parts and clamps I had around the place. I've a small, basic Gibraltar rack, which ages ago I used to use for a few drum kit set ups, but what I was looking for was to lighten the load. The fortunate thing is that I've also a spare rack from an old Alesis e-kit (which I cannibalised for it's DM5 module to add to another e-kit to expand on it, and had a bunch of pipes, clamps and attachments left over). The great thing about it is that the basic rack itself is incredibly light....you could lift it with two or three fingers, no kidding. So, I started with that as my basis.

Okay, so why one short vertical post and one long one? Well, that allows my Roland Octapad (with the traps table attached) to easily move a bit to the right without banging into any pipe. Thus:

MORE COMING UP FOLKS......
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

CONTINUED!!

So, as I kept morphing and refining the electronic set up, I got thinking about my role within the band. We had a bit of a line up change....a change of guitarist wasn't the only thing....a while back Tom, our keyboardist who had been with us from the start, decided to up and go for various reasons. The good thing with Anthony, our newest member, is that as a guitarist he also has some cool MIDI gear which allows him to play a few keyboard sounds via his guitar. But really, we had to relook at our overall band sound, as the keys added a pretty nice texture, but the main reason we got a guitarist was we needed, well, a guitar sound. We also looked at what songs where keys could be cut out, and some of those worked. But a few of us felt some songs did need something, and it wasn't enough to have just ordinary percussion sounds helping to fill the gap, together with saxophone and the other instruments. So a short while back, I suggested I could do some tuned percussion, which was cool for songwriting, but would be pretty impractical for gigging (not just for the extra set up time, but the headache of miking vibraphones up live). So, when I got my hands on my two micro Korg keyboards, I already had looked at setting up a rack for them, using spare rack parts. But.....what if I could double up as a percussionist and keyboardist/tuned percussionist/now additional noisemaker....whatever....seeing that I was already having a hand in songwriting? The rest said to go for it, if I was willing. The thing is.....once again gigging practicality.

So, after coming up with the rack for the percussion set up, I looked a bit hard at things, and then it dawned on me.....why not have a rack where you could have an attached side rack for the keyboards? And thus:

Happy to say that everyone thought it was the coolest thing we could have happening for the band. Totally freaked them out when I played percussion with two feet whilst playing simple chords with my hands for a couple of tunes. They loved it!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 06-09-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I don't see a place to set a guitar or the kitchen sink.

Other than that, you've got everything but a drink holder in place.

Nicely done!!!!

User Info Menu

I have 3 racks. A Gibralter that I don't use anymore. I have a curved Pearl Icon on my Beech Customs that I us for gigging. Its a workhorse. I have a Yamaha Hex Rack on my Oak Customs that I leave at home. The Hex rack is by far the best rack I have ever used.....unfortunately also the most expensive.

User Info Menu

There's someone selling a Gibraltar rack near me with a ton of extra clamps and stuff for $500. It looks like it's got a lot of extra stuff with it, it's not the prettiest rack but I think the amount of stuff it comes with would be well worth it. Then again it might not be the prettiest because it doesn't have any gear on it.

Here's a pic of it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    Can you post a different thread on making a rack
    hi brother i will this week end

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY