Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which rack do you use or would use?

User Info Menu

Default Which rack do you use or would use?

Curious to see what other drummers here like as far as drum racks go.
    I have a Pearl Icon Curved Rack and really like it.The thing I really like about this rack besides it being very sturdy is that the bars can be adjusted to whatever height you want. I also like that the curved one kind of wraps around my kit and makes it look better. I had the black one that had the straight bars and not adjustable and when I got the Pearl rack and switched them out,I'll never use another rack for as long as I can play. Plus the clamps seem to be much better in quality. On the black rack,the clamps were falling apart and they were getting to the point that they would loosen up on me.The ones for the Icon rack are made differently and don't slip or loosen up on me.
    I don't like the round drum racks.I'd be afraid they would loosen up and fall over with my cymbal on it.Not a problem with the square racks.

Last edited by Shawn76; 05-24-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which rack do you use or would use?

I have a straight Gibraltor rack, that came with a drumset that I bought used. Still not sure if I like it. I'm giving serious thought to ditching it.

Tex

User Info Menu

I've been using Gibraltar for years. I'm just the opposite of you, I don't like the square tube racks because the seem to restricting. With the round tube you can mount the clamp at any angle you want. I've never tried the square tube racks but it seems the clamps can only be mounted one way.

Also I've never had any slippage issues. I even once had a 20" kick drum mounted on my like a gong drum using one clapm and it never moved.

Here's a shot of it: My old Premier it I used for a Rush Tribute band. I mounted it using the tom mount on the kick. I got a pice of metal tube that fit the mount hole and put it in a clamp, never moved.

My current rack.

Last edited by NPYYZ; 05-24-2013 at 05:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar for me .. I really dig there hat stands and cymbal stands too

User Info Menu

Probably a gun rack!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I use 3 Gibraltar v-racks together to make one big rack set up . The v-bars allows me to put at least 2 bars together to form one long straight run with 45 degree sweeps at both the ends of the rack.

Last edited by late8; 05-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I use a Pearl icon. Brilliant design, strong, light, stable, inexpensive and great add ons available with full warranty and support. Loved getting my toms and cymbals off stands so I could move kick around seperately. Don't see the point in keeping anything on stands while using one. Why use a rack if you're gonna rock stands and bass mounts?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have both...a Gibralter (round tube) and a Pearl Icon (Square).

I prefer the round tube all the way. It has much more flexibility when positioning things. It's quicker and easier to do.

Tube rack is also lighter to lug around....a rack that's round tubes can easily be moved in and out by one person and folded up tighter when transporting. Where as the Pearl Icon is much heavier and bulkier, and takes up more space. I have to be very careful to balance it properly when I move it because I can hear the hinges on the corners creek under the stress load from it's own weight and bulkiness.

For me....it's not even close. Round Tube (Gibralter) all the way.

Also....I'd have to research it to be sure, but I think it's cheaper for Gibralter rack accessories like clamps, connectors and such.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I have a PDP rack that I bought second hand about 5 years ago. It has memory locks that integrate with the clamps, making everything very secure. It's 2-sided, and some day I may make it a full 3, but for now I love it when I'm playing the 6 piece kit with all the cymbals. Like you, Shawn, I like the fact that the front bar is curved. When I offset the ride toms, the 10" tom stays with me because of the curve. I also like that the PDP logo piece has an integrated level. The perfectionist in me likes that feature.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Gibraltar Road Series rack.

Last edited by Digital; 05-24-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I think racks do serve a purpose and can be beneficial at times. Certainly makes things cleaner- less stand legs in the way and can offer more areas to attach things, however I have never found the need for one. Tom stands, floor tom stands (for floor toms with iso mounts), cymbal stands and multi-clamps function well and do the job. Also, unless I'm playing a concert and have a Neil Pert or Mike Portnoy kit there is no need to lug a rack around, and my kits aren't exactly small... two are 7 piece with 8 cymbals and an aux snare.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 05-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I have both...a Gibralter (round tube) and a Pearl Icon (Square).

I prefer the round tube all the way. It has much more flexibility when positioning things. It's quicker and easier to do.

Tube rack is also lighter to lug around....a rack that's round tubes can easily be moved in and out by one person and folded up tighter when transporting. Where as the Pearl Icon is much heavier and bulkier, and takes up more space. I have to be very careful to balance it properly when I move it because I can hear the hinges on the corners creek under the stress load from it's own weight and bulkiness.

For me....it's not even close. Round Tube (Gibralter) all the way.

Also....I'd have to research it to be sure, but I think it's cheaper for Gibralter rack accessories like clamps, connectors and such.
    Heavier? The atomic mass of aluminum is like 26.9 and chrome is 51.9. The icon can adjust side to side and forward and back just like round bars with the right clamps. Aside from parts selection I don't see how the Gibraltar is better?
    Last edited by Russ; 05-24-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Heavier? How is aluminum heavier? The icon can adjust side to side and forward and back just like round bars, I don't see how they're better?
    I understand what you are saying Russ. However I also understand and agree with EddieV. It all depends on the thickness (density) of the metal being used regardless of the type of metal. A thin walled, steel tube can weigh less then a thick walled aluminum tube.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Also, unless I'm playing a concert and have a Neil Pert or Mike Portnoy kit there is no need to lug a rack around, and my kits aren't exactly small... two are 7 piece with 8 cymbals and an aux snare.
    I totally agree with this too so if I'm not to sure about some details about a gig such as distance from car to 'stage', I'll bring horizontal rack pieces to lock down my cymbal stands so they won't be knocked over by the clumsy guitar players. Less weight to lug around and I get to use the rack pieces to hold stuff up:

User Info Menu

I think Late8 stole a building and took off the exterior. That's not a rack, it's a racket.

User Info Menu

home made rack
    aluminium tubing 1.5 inch
    gibraltar clamp

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Heavier? The atomic mass of aluminum is like 26.9 and chrome is 51.9. The icon can adjust side to side and forward and back just like round bars with the right clamps. Aside from parts selection I don't see how the Gibraltar is better?
    Atomic mass?

Really?

lol

My Pearl Icon Rack is much heavier and more cumbersome when moving around when compared to my Gibralter. And as mentioned....I can fold the Gibralter one up more tightly and transport it.

For the record...I don't use either of them (for gigging) anymore. Racks are a pain to ### to me.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I played with a Pearl rack once..left it there or tossed it ( dont remember)..Gibraltar on all my kits. Takes 2 mins to set up and everything is exactly in the same spot...set up on the side and carry it up...stands to me are a pain in the back side..Haven't used/owned 1 in 20 yrs

User Info Menu

I've got a Gib Stealth rack, side rack for the right and VMS for the snare and left-side toms. I don't have a good picture, unfortunately. Gotta rectify that! But I have snare and 10" and 12" toms offset on the left side with a 17" crash, right side holding a 21" ride, 18" and 16" crashes, and sometimes a 16" O-Zone.

For the record, the Stealth rack is made of the same parts as the Road series racks. Nice beefy hardware. I haven't had any problems with slippage; it's been quite stable.

And Russ, why are you comparing aluminum to chrome, anyway? It's not as if they're making solid chrome racks.
    Last edited by spartax; 05-24-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: clarity

User Info Menu

From my own experience, the icon rack is no more difficult to haul around than the tube rack. I've done both. I can fold up the icon rack and it'll fit in the back seat of my hauling vehicle. It sits on the floor where your feet go and hugs the back of the front seats. I can take it out and carry it in and out of gigs by myself. That's also with all the clamps and cymbal booms attached. Plus I can then put the toms in the back seat of I needed to. Since I own an SUV I usually put the drums in the back end for better protection and tighter fit to eliminate any movement during motion.

The tube rack I had was the PDP and it didn't even have the side support legs. Just the "wings" if I remember correctly.

As far as weight ratio between the same amount of stands to support an equal number of cymbals in comparison to stands versus racks, racks win out in every category and you can continue to add more cymbal arms up to and exceeding your actual budget.

Not only that but it will hold your tom arms and mic clamps.

There's no way you can convince me that stands are in any way more convenient than a rack if you gig. The only concession/conclusion that stands are easier than a rack is if you only use 2 or 3 cymbals.

Other than that, take the equal amount of gear (Cymbal/tom/mic) supporting hardware anywhere to have it weighed you'll agree, racks for the win.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spartax View Post

And Russ, why are you comparing aluminum to chrome, anyway? It's not as if they're making solid chrome racks.
    I can't speak for him directly but I would surmise he is comparing the aluminum icon rack to the Gibby/PDP/DW rack which are chrome plated. He's probably including the finish where as the icon rack is just all aluminum.

User Info Menu

I dont get the slippage worry..never had a clamp move on my Gibraltar racks, and I hang a 18" FT at times

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I dont get the slippage worry..never had a clamp move on my Gibraltar racks, and I hang a 18" FT at times
    Yeah, having both, I've never had slippage with a tube rack and I don't have any problems with any angle or position using the icon racks either. I think we've beaten that argument to death in more than one thread over the past few years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    From my own experience, the icon rack is no more difficult to haul around than the tube rack. I've done both. I can fold up the icon rack and it'll fit in the back seat of my hauling vehicle. It sits on the floor where your feet go and hugs the back of the front seats. I can take it out and carry it in and out of gigs by myself. That's also with all the clamps and cymbal booms attached. Plus I can then put the toms in the back seat of I needed to. Since I own an SUV I usually put the drums in the back end for better protection and tighter fit to eliminate any movement during motion.

The tube rack I had was the PDP and it didn't even have the side support legs. Just the "wings" if I remember correctly.

As far as weight ratio between the same amount of stands to support an equal number of cymbals in comparison to stands versus racks, racks win out in every category and you can continue to add more cymbal arms up to and exceeding your actual budget.

Not only that but it will hold your tom arms and mic clamps.

There's no way you can convince me that stands are in any way more convenient than a rack if you gig. The only concession/conclusion that stands are easier than a rack is if you only use 2 or 3 cymbals.

Other than that, take the equal amount of gear (Cymbal/tom/mic) supporting hardware anywhere to have it weighed you'll agree, racks for the win.
    Exactly..for gigs..rack..faster,lighter,etc. Great post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Exactly..for gigs..rack..faster,lighter,etc. Great post
    Thank you, sir. Here's some of my rack configs over the years.

Same kit with my electronic drum rack, not the PDP.