Thread: Technique - Foot and Hand Coordination

User Info Menu

Default Technique - Foot and Hand Coordination

It's been quite a while since I've played, and I'm having the problem with my right hand and foot. My right hand wants to do the same thing my right foot does. I'm hoping this is a common problem, and I know it will take a lot of practice, but anybody have any tips?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Technique - Foot and Hand Coordination

It's a common thing: leading with your rt. hand your foot keeping the beat the two will sometimes hit something simultaneously but not all the time. Do a really fast roll and your foot should just be keeping the count for your rt. hand...otherwise you have to just practice your independence a bit. Both shouldn't always follow each other. Alternate with rt. hand on FT then kick, back and forth, like a single stroke roll. It at first seems difficult, until it sounds cool and develops your independence.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Practice! In anything to do with the actual playing of drums, practice is almost always the answer.

The only other answer is..............more practice.

User Info Menu

This is what I did when I first started playing drums and was trying to cut the "string" between my right hand and foot.

Start by just playing 1/8th notes on the hihat, and alternate between hihat and kick, but when you play kick, lift your right hand up really high, like point the stick at the ceiling. Really over exaggerate your movements. Once you get the feel, your movements will get smaller and smaller. Make sense?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Thanks I appreciate the tips. I'm just glad it didn't involve a cattle prod or taser....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Thanks I appreciate the tips. I'm just glad it didn't involve a cattle prod or taser....

They come in when you get to paradiddles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    they come in when you get to paradiddles.
    +1
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Four things that I do when I am practicing that might help you (but only with lots of practice).

1. Reverse your hands, so that your feet are doing what ever patterns you have been practicing but your hands are reversed). Latin patterns (there are dozens and dozens of basic Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, and other Latin patterns) are great for working on limb independence, especially when you switch between limbs.
    2. Practice everything at different tempos. But do lots of very slow and controlled patterns. Use a metronome or click track, and work at maintaining strict tempo for four minutes at a time without stopping or being tempted to fill. When you can do that (it'll take time), then you can work on 'the groove'.
    3. Practice rudiments to backing tracks. It makes them much more palatable.
    4. Work on the things you cannot do (properly), and less of the things that you can.

I try to do lots of the above. Even after years of playing I am always finding quite simple things that I am not happy with the way I play. So it's a continuous, lifetime, thing.
    Mapex Meridian Maple Kit
    Pearl Masters Premium Legend Snare + Piccolo Snare
    Zildjian K, Instanbul Agop Cymbals + Sabian AAX HH + Toca Traditional Conga/Tumba

User Info Menu

You are going to get a LOT of suggestions from drummers wanting to help and offer advice. Take some and leave some. But the best advice you can get and should adhere to... PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. And when you are tired of practicing, tae a break for a little while then PRACTICE some more.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Along with what everyone else has said, I recommend "The New Breed Of Studio Drummer" by Gary Chester and "The Language Of Drumming" by Benny Greb. The exercises in those books really work this issue out pronto.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove