Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordered some new heads..

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ordered some new heads..

Quote Originally Posted by tadly View Post
    Wow, that's really a leap to try new heads on such a big kit! If you normally do that, do you keep using them even if you don't like them? I'll usually try a new type of head on a 4pc setup, typically on just the 12" & 16" toms, and even then I'll "suffer" with them, even if I don't like 'em. I've been kicking around trying Aquarian, so be sure to let us know what you think!
    That's what I would do if I was outfitting a large kit with unknown heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Thanks, yeah man definitely i'll have to let you know a little something about it when I get some sessions in with these bad boys. While we're on the subject of heads and since you appear to be an Aquarian guy like me, do you know of a good reso head I could use with real small sustain? I'm looking to stick something on the bottom of them that behaves like an Evans Genera Resonant(i'm thinking less mass for less of everything like sustain and resonance).
    Yes I really like Aquarians but I also own some Evans and Remo heads that I like for different sounds.

For reso's I just use Aquarian classic clears as I like a bit of sustain on my toms however my 14" floor can go on forever if I tune the same top and bottom so I normally tune the reso higher than batter and use gaff tape or folded tissue on the reso.

I did some experiments with single ply coated heads (ambassadors) as a reso and that worked fairly well. Nice punchy warm tone with less sustain. Even tried 2 ply coated heads like the Super 2 and Evans EC2 SST as reso with similar results.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Yeah I got those classic clears on right now, they're pretty good but there's still a lot of sustain and buzzyness i'm fighting against. See when I got my last head change I was real into John Coltrane, Freddie King, Hendrix, and a little ZZtop. My neighbor was on guitar and I was basically trying to play the songs he wanted to do, cause he didn't know many of mine. Great guy it's just to work together we had to do his stuff, so I was trying to get my drums sounding real open and rich. The guy passed away unfortunately so now i'm on my own again, so now i'm getting back a little bit more into rock and metal sounds because that's what's on the setlist. I'm not just wanting to do the songs, but I also want to capture the sound too, really get inside it. I feel like something deep with short sustain might get me there - which is what i'm told using something like a Performance 2 would get me. I especially wanna avoid that proximity thing where the tom nearest to your snare sets it off and makes it buzz like crazy you know? So I mean classic clears might not work, i'm thinking thinner would clean it up a bit - but I also hear you have to tune thin heads often. Thinking of picking up Hi-Frequency for tom resos whenever I get the money, just can't right now. What do you think of that idea?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Update: Well this is certainly annoying. Called to check the status and a guy who sounded like he hates his life told me they're on backorder. He apparently doesn't know when they're coming in, maybe as long as weeks. Instead of leaving my money in the wind, he did let me refund/store credit because they were out, so now I either have to wait or else get different heads. Must be a hotter item than I thought!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

that sucks bro, I go through the same thing here. I'm east of Toronto, Canada and Aquarians are hard to come by in my area. When I ordered the Performance and Super II's the came in at different times about 4 weeks total waiting time.

There are plenty of Super Kick bass drum heads available but tom heads are scarce.

Makes me tempted to try the Evans 360 heads on my next purchase.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

As has been my experience with Aquarian, more disappointment. Go for something else.

User Info Menu

I think it's the retailer, they've pulled this on me before. I get it bad when I order drumheads because I usually do it individually, and sometimes a few of them aren't ready or out of stock. Sometimes I can't even complete the order.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I think it's the retailer, they've pulled this on me before. I get it bad when I order drumheads because I usually do it individually, and sometimes a few of them aren't ready or out of stock. Sometimes I can't even complete the order.
    This is why more & more people order online & get them delivered. Some stores are just cutting out their own business by their poor service.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

oopppss

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tadly View Post
    Wow, that's really a leap to try new heads on such a big kit! If you normally do that, do you keep using them even if you don't like them? I'll usually try a new type of head on a 4pc setup, typically on just the 12" & 16" toms, and even then I'll "suffer" with them, even if I don't like 'em. I've been kicking around trying Aquarian, so be sure to let us know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's what I would do if I was outfitting a large kit with unknown heads.
    +1 here

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY