Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: big drumkit or simple??? what's your pick...

User Info Menu

Default Re: big drumkit or simple??? what's your pick...

My kit just keeps getting smaller over the years. Big kits are fun but not so fun to carry.

User Info Menu

The biggest for me is a 6 piece, but usually I play a 5 piece. Either 1 up 2 down, or 2 up 1 down. For quicker and/or smaller gigs I use 1 up 1 down. Every now and then I'll gig a 6 piece with a side snare. I usually only use 2 crashes and a ride. Sometimes I use 3 crashes and a ride.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't see many two kick sets at the clubs anymore. When i do it looks like so much work especially if they have a rack! to go with it. But it does look cool. I've toyed with the idea of getting a second kick just to have in case we get a big stage to play on.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

2 up 1 down has been my set up for years and I'm very comfortable playing either big or small kits.

User Info Menu

I'm now using the smallest set-up I've ever played.............one up & two down...............but I use anywhere from 8 to 11 cymbals............I love the brass !

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Smaller kits require more imagination
    you can pull so many sounds out of
    the surface of one drum....
    If you are one with the drum,,,
    yer imangination can take you anywhere,,,
    enjoy da journey my phriends,,,
    This is exactly how i see smaller kits and why i love them. Brilliant way of putting it, Phrogge!
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Depends on my mood really. But, if you're on a smaller kit and need more, there's not anything you can do about it, whereas if you're on a bigger kit, you don't have an obligation to play it all. Generally I prefer bigger. I don't think there's really a better or worse.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    My kit just keeps getting smaller over the years. Big kits are fun but not so fun to carry.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Once in a while I get the urge to take a bigger kit out for a gig. Lately, I've been taking my Rogers Big R set out to gigs vs. my Pearls. It's a 2-22" kick, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 setup. However, I still haven't taken the whole kit out to a gig since the 80's. I've been contiplating taking the whole thing, but it will depend on the venue. And yes, I'll take pics to prove it.

But, 99% of the time, I gig with no more than a 5 piece kit, 2 crashes, HH and a ride cymbal. Funny how that happens the older you get.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

1-up-2-down
    Less is more for ME
    BIG-*** drums but not many of them
    Ludwig Keystone in Mint Oyster GG wrap
    9x13
    16x16
    16x18
    14x24
    Pearl masters series all maple 6.5x14
    Zildjian-Sabian-ProMark-TamaIronCobras-LudwigAtlas hardware
    REMO FOR LIFE

User Info Menu

4 piece kit with hi hat, ride, and 2 crashes. That's what I play on and all I need. I play in a 90s cover band and anything beyond what I have now would be overkill for me.

User Info Menu

When I first started playing it was a 6-piece kit (3 up, one down) with 2-3 splashes, a couple of chinas, several crashes, hats, and ride. My little band started getting popular, so we started getting more gigs. Went to a 5 piece kit after a few months along with fewer cymbals. We got even more popular, playing out almost every weekend if not 2-3 shows a week, I went down to a 4 piece, and this is where I've stayed for a long time. Even now that I don't move my kit every week (playing at church), it's a 4 piece kit with hats, 2 crashes, a ride and a splash.

User Info Menu

I'm a 4 piecer, pretty much, but sometimes less for a small acoustic thing or something.

Big or small, I suppose the set should facilitate the music you play. 4 piece is plenty enough for anything I ever play. I suppose if I had the opportunity to play more progressive stuff like Rush, Pink Floyd, etc... I would go with more sound sources (ie. drums and cymbals).

all the best...

User Info Menu

I play a 4 piece with hats, 2 crashes and a ride.

I find that I'm much more creative on my 4 piece kit, if I play a bigger kit my fills get so boring! I just end up playing 16th notes around the toms, so the 4 piece suits me down to the ground

User Info Menu

Both are great. With a big kit you have loads of sound colors if the music will work with them, which can allow for a lot of creativity. But a small kit can also allow for a lot of creativity because of the limited sound options. Either way I like having lots of different cymbal sounds. That is often more important to me than the number of drums.

User Info Menu

A good drummer will be creative whether it's on a 10 piece set or a chair with 2 spoons.

User Info Menu

Ehh well yes and no. Yes, they will display advanced technique and style. Also no, because you simply can't make the same sounds and arrangements as you can on a big kit. You just simply can not do the same things that you can on a big kit, if you are adept at playing them. They're different beasts.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    A good drummer will be creative whether it's on a 10 piece set or a chair with 2 spoons.
    BINGO!!!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    And I don't really get how people hate electronic drums because they "feel different". I don't think they do. But to each his own.
    Umm... yeah, they feel different!! LOL. Oh, amateurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Ding, Ding, Ding... we have a winner!!

I play what there is room for. I have a 7 piece (3 up two down, single bass, double pedal) and 2 hats, two rides, splash, couple chinas, and 6 crashes. I take it all and set up what I can when I can. That way I have my choice of drums and cymbals and am never saying "gosh, I wish I had...!"
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG