Thread: hi-hat stand help for beginner

User Info Menu

Default hi-hat stand help for beginner

so I have a sonor force 507 as my first drum kit, I have been practising for about 2-2 and a half months now and I am looking to buy a new hi-hat stand as im not liking the current one I have.

I think it is the standard one you get with the kit (I bought my kit 2nd hand), it just says sonor on the pedal, but it just doesn't feel right, for instance when I go to my lessons the one I use there feels awesome compared to this (I now he has a very good one and its expensive.)

it feels sort of clunky and the pedal does not feel smooth, anyway I was hoping on some suggestion for a new one I could get that is not extremely expensive, but pretty good at the same time.

anyway I would appreciate all thoughts and suggestions, thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: hi-hat stand help for beginner

have you tried adjusting the spring tension? those ones that come with a set are often not that great. What is your budget?

User Info Menu

If there's no way to make the pedal delivery smoother, I'd look for stands that have that ability, find out what stand you use in your lessons and look at ones similar to them.

I'd go for Gibraltar hardware if it's not too dear.

User Info Menu

hi, no I have not tried doing that.
    how would I go about doing it?

yeah I didn't think the stock ones would be too good which is why I am looking.

as far as my budget goes I would say maybe around £100, but I could spend more if the right one was there, obviously I don't have huge amounts of money but I don't mind spending what I do have on something I know will benefit my playing and sound experience if you know what I mean, obviously if I can get a pretty good one cheapish I would prefer that, but fire away some suggestions if you have any.

also another thing is when I close it, it doesn't close properly, I have to push really hard for it to close fully, is this normal?, because again when I practice on my drum teachers its not like this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    If there's no way to make the pedal delivery smoother, I'd look for stands that have that ability, find out what stand you use in your lessons and look at ones similar to them.

I'd go for Gibraltar hardware if it's not too dear.
    again im still pretty new to it all so how could I make the pedal delivery smoother on the one I have?

User Info Menu

Lubrication and most all stands have a tension adjustment knob. Take a good picture of it in the area just above the pedal and maybe we can show you where it is if you can't find it, if it's there at all. If it's this one or something just like it, your screwed. There is no adjustment. Lubrication might help a little. Unfortunately it's cheap. Sorry. Welcome to Drum Chat.

Last edited by wolvie56; 06-02-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I'd agree with massaging it first. If you are mechanical at all, see if you can disassemble it and lube it up. It could possibly be gritting inside the mechanical parts and need to be cleaned and relubricated. For pennies it could save you hundreds of dollars and the time to shop.

Plus, if you eventually still decide to purchase a new one, you'll have a nice backup.

With just a little bit of TLC most every hat stand should give you good quality service. Even if the internal spring is a bit worn out, a new one will only cost you a few pennies, as well.

It's worth the effort to look into it first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Lubrication and most all stands have a tension adjustment knob. Take a good picture of it in the area just above the pedal and maybe we can show you where it is if you can't find it, if it's there at all. If it's this one or something just like it, your screwed. There is no adjustment. Lubrication might help a little. Unfortunately it's cheap. Sorry. Welcome to Drum Chat.

yeah I have just had a quick check and it looks like its that exact same pedal.

hanks for the welcome.

User Info Menu

so do you think any of these would be good?

Gibraltar 4607 Lightweight Double Braced Hi-hat Stand

Gibraltar 8607 Hi-Hat Stand

User Info Menu

I have checked aswell on my pedal and its the same as the pic above, looks like the exact same pedal.

User Info Menu

You might have a bent rod or the upper and lower rods aren't properly attached to each other. Remove the hats and the upper tubing to expose the rods. See if you can unscrew the top rod from the bottom one. You may need to grab the lower rod with needle nose pliers to unscrew the top. Look down the lower tube for any obstructions(being used there could be anything stuck there!) Lay the upper, removed rod on a flat table top to check it for any warping or curvature. Push the pedal down a few times and watch the chain action. If the pedal doesn't return to its up position you now know it's not rod related but rather a spring problem. Flip the whole assembly upside down and see if you have a nut at the end of the chain or a washer that may be missing or loose allowing the chain to jam at some point in its travel. I have the 200 series Sonor which I accidentally disassembled after a gig-unscrewed everything, including the chain from the rod!
    Good luck and if nothing else, you'll gain some knowledge about hh construction.!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yeah,,,,what he said,,,

slinglander,,,my phriend,yer advice is always right on..
    You are a valueable assett to this forum,,,
    thxs for bein in my life...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I would look for one that has a tension adjuster. That way you can dial in what feels best to you instead of trying to work with something that can only be one way. You might need to drop a little coin for it but it will be much better. It's a very important part of the kit and a good one will make you happy.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

my dw remote hihat has a tention adjustment...lubs it
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"