Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A couple of questions

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default A couple of questions

    Hey, I'm still new to drumming. I'm self-tutoring myself and just trying to have fun and learn songs I like.

    My first question is about this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc0KSRjjbwc If you skip to 1:45 you'll notice the drummer (Dom) puts his right hand right up in the air ready to hit the snare (I know he's a lefty) but what I can't seem to see is how he isn't hitting his hi-hat hand when striking? I was messing around the other day and noticed if I tried doing that I would smack my other hand hitting the hi-hat. How is that drum kit positioned??

    Secondly, more serious now I'm trying to learn THAT song. It's called unsustainable and it's quite short but there's a drum pattern which I really love so trying my best to learn it. (Again it starts around 1:45 in that video). I'm counting 1 + A 2 + A 3 + 4 + with a quick bass on the 'A'. I'm finding it so tricky. Any tips?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: A couple of questions

    It just happens with practice....that snare hand just sneaks in there...yours will too, but it mat be painful for the 1st while...
    Your 2nd point, what I'm hearing is just kick drum on the 1, snare is falling on the 3rd beat of the bar....is this useful?

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: A couple of questions

    dont get frustrated if your having trouble playing along to Dominic Howard...He's AMAZING

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: A couple of questions

    It depends a lot on drum placement. And I am using a right handed scenario here. When your striking your hi hats, it would be advantageous that your right hand be coming down just away from the center of your snare. Because that's where your left hand stick will be going, right? You want to create a triangle with the snare center and the hi hat center being the hypotenuse. Everyone is different, but I like my hi hat positioned at 10:00 in relation to my snare, 3" away edge to edge. Plus it takes practice to get the timing down. Although it wasn't as mysterious as I thought it would be. Welcome to drum chat.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad






    C C Militia

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: A couple of questions

    Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    It just happens with practice....that snare hand just sneaks in there...yours will too, but it mat be painful for the 1st while...
    Your 2nd point, what I'm hearing is just kick drum on the 1, snare is falling on the 3rd beat of the bar....is this useful?
    Thanks very much. Watching it closely now I do see him time it perfect.

    A bit lost on your second point. Sorry! Do you mean in that beat because I can't work it out? Is there 10? As I say I was counting 1 + A 2 + 3 + A 4 + but I could completely off the mark! Thanks for your reply though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukeatoopis View Post
    dont get frustrated if your having trouble playing along to Dominic Howard...He's AMAZING
    Thank you! And I agree. He's one of my influences that got me into drumming. I saw Muse for the 1st time last year and 2nd time a couple of weeks ago part of their stadium tour.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    It depends a lot on drum placement. And I am using a right handed scenario here. When your striking your hi hats, it would be advantageous that your right hand be coming down just away from the center of your snare. Because that's where your left hand stick will be going, right? You want to create a triangle with the snare center and the hi hat center being the hypotenuse. Everyone is different, but I like my hi hat positioned at 10:00 in relation to my snare, 3" away edge to edge. Plus it takes practice to get the timing down. Although it wasn't as mysterious as I thought it would be. Welcome to drum chat.
    Thanks. I don't think I've actually given it that much practice. I was just unsure of whether there was any tricks in there like his kit being positioned differently.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: A couple of questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampires View Post
    Hey, I'm still new to drumming. I'm self-tutoring myself and just trying to have fun and learn songs I like.

    My first question is about this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc0KSRjjbwc If you skip to 1:45 you'll notice the drummer (Dom) puts his right hand right up in the air ready to hit the snare (I know he's a lefty) but what I can't seem to see is how he isn't hitting his hi-hat hand when striking? I was messing around the other day and noticed if I tried doing that I would smack my other hand hitting the hi-hat. How is that drum kit positioned??

    Secondly, more serious now I'm trying to learn THAT song. It's called unsustainable and it's quite short but there's a drum pattern which I really love so trying my best to learn it. (Again it starts around 1:45 in that video). I'm counting 1 + A 2 + A 3 + 4 + with a quick bass on the 'A'. I'm finding it so tricky. Any tips?

    Thanks!
    Watching the 1:45 snare hit, if you watch it closely, he brings the snare hand down first (as you would need to), and it's already under the hi-hat hand by the time any crossover occurs. Very typical move for the exaggerated showmanship drumming. It all comes down to putting the hit on the right beats, so in showman drumming doesn't really matter where your hands are in the air as long as you make contact with the various instruments in the right spot. This is not ergonomic, but it does put on a good show.

    On your second question, it really is just practicing the placement of the kick drum. Simple 8th notes on the hi-hat. Snare on the 2 and 4. kick drum is pretty simple too.
    Think of it as a 16th note pattern on the kick drum (1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a). I'll bold and color red the beats where the kick actually is hit in the pattern:
    1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

    So, the pattern ends up being, aside from a typical kick on the down beat of the 1 of the beat, it's on the + a ("and uh") of beats 1, 2, and 3.

    I'll come back and post a drum tab notation of the section if you need it.
    Last edited by Nechre; 06-05-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: hard to see the bolded '+'

    The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: A couple of questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    Watching the 1:45 snare hit, if you watch it closely, he brings the snare hand down first (as you would need to), and it's already under the hi-hat hand by the time any crossover occurs. Very typical move for the exaggerated showmanship drumming. It all comes down to putting the hit on the right beats, so in showman drumming doesn't really matter where your hands are in the air as long as you make contact with the various instruments in the right spot. This is not ergonomic, but it does put on a good show.

    On your second question, it really is just practicing the placement of the kick drum. Simple 8th notes on the hi-hat. Snare on the 2 and 4. kick drum is pretty simple too.
    Think of it as a 16th note pattern on the kick drum (1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a). I'll bold and color red the beats where the kick actually is hit in the pattern:
    1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

    So, the pattern ends up being, aside from a typical kick on the down beat of the 1 of the beat, it's on the + a ("and uh") of beats 1, 2, and 3.

    I'll come back and post a drum tab notation of the section if you need it.
    Wow! Thank you so much. Helped me alot. As I'm learning to play shall I count the E's even though there's not hits on them?

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: A couple of questions

    Count it If you need it. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of counting 1e+a, you might have to just count 1 + . I usually just count measures for a solo or when there's multi-instrument polyrhythms. Keeps me focused on my section of the playing. More of a feeler than a counter myself.

    The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •