Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting accent cymbal options

User Info Menu

Default Mounting accent cymbal options

I picked up a Paiste 8" accent cymbal and it arrived today. I know there are (at least) a couple of configuration options, and I wanted to see if I can get the group's input...

I read some folks like to mount inverted over an existing cymbal (like a ride or larger crash). If you do this, I would assume you want to put a felt clutch between the 2 cymbals. Do you strike both at the same time, separately or all of the above? Is the purpose of this type of configuration to get a blend of both cymbals?

Many thanks for any input you might have.

Mark
    Last edited by Cap'n Crunch; 06-05-2013 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mounting accent cymbal options

I mount my accent stuff with Tama clamps. Currently I have at least 4 clamps in use.

Seen there I have 2 Tama clamps and boom arms on the left for a 10" splash and a 6" bell. On the right side I have a clamp/boom for the 18" china and a clamp and L arm for the 9.5" bell.

User Info Menu

Ok - so accents separate "and" (appears) inverted (unless my older eyes are playing tricks on me).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post
    Ok - so accents separate "and" (appears) inverted (unless my older eyes are playing tricks on me).
    How you mount them is up to you, my friend. I guess technically my china is inverted, as most guy's are. The bells are definitely inverted and the splash is normal.

User Info Menu

I have a feeling I'm about to ask a dumb question, but that's never stopped me before, so...

Why upside down?

User Info Menu

I have a feeling I'm about to ask a dumb question, but that's never stopped me before, so...

Why upside down?
    The bells? Honestly that's how I saw them mounted before I had them so that's what I did when I got mine. I have no reason beyond that. They sound largely the same either way.

User Info Menu

I find upside down bells have a better character than right side up bells, but maybe it's because you can basically only hit an upside down bell on the shoulder, but can choose whether to hit with the tip or shoulder on an upright bell. I don't own one, so I can't test. Someone else may confirm.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

If it's a splash, I just put it upside down on top of my wingnut. Easy, cheap, and space saving.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have a Paiste 4" Accent bell and a 6" no-name bell that's shaped almost like a very heavy Wuhan china. I always mount them upside-down over another cymbal. The 6" bell has a much fuller sound when mounted this way. The 4" sounds the same either way but I just prefer it. I usually use the 4" bell though. Just get a cymbal that you don't use the bell of, put a thinner felt on top, then the bell, another felt and you're set. I use thinner felts on those since there are 3 instead of only 2, therefore not choking up the bottom cymbal.

User Info Menu

Tama clamps and arms. These things rock!

Last edited by ntn2it; 06-05-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the feedback. Right now I've got it mounted piggyback over my 18" crash, but I'm getting a little resonant noise from the crash even w/ the extra felt that I'm not happy with. I'm inclined to go w/ a separate clamp/arm myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post

I love the adjustability of the Tama clamps. Much nicer than the Gibraltar piece I have. Don't care for that so it stays on my practice kit.

User Info Menu

Happen to have model #'s on that particular Tama clamp/arm combo? Thanks.

User Info Menu

These are the two I use. The MCA63EN boom arm and essentially the CYA5E with the same clamp as the first one.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Marko!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Marko!
    Sure thing.

User Info Menu

I never realized that mounting cymbals upside down might change the sound characteristics. I always thought it was just a space saving thing. Hmmm... now ya got me thinking.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I never realized that mounting cymbals upside down might change the sound characteristics. I always thought it was just a space saving thing. Hmmm... now ya got me thinking.
    Mark,

Initially, I had my Zilbel mounted "normally", but after looking at Marko's, I inverted it. I could get much more consistent / solid contact................and it sounded better IMO

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that several companies make cymbal stackers. I have one, not currently in use, that you can thread on over the top of the wingnut on an existing cymbal. The stacker has it's own felts and wingnuts.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Mark,

Initially, I had my Zilbel mounted "normally", but after looking at Marko's, I inverted it. I could get much more consistent / solid contact................and it sounded better IMO

Cool! Thanks for the info Butch!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I love the adjustability of the Tama clamps. Much nicer than the Gibraltar piece I have. Don't care for that so it stays on my practice kit.
    Im with you guys, ive got the same tama clamp and boy i love it.

It super adjustable, super strong, and gives enough space between cymbals, even to have a 20" ride on it. Im so confident with mine im going to get another soon and run my ride off it, cut out using another stand. I know it might sound a bit dodgy, but ive done it with this one and it was more stable than some stands ive used!
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gottdonn13 View Post
    Im with you guys, ive got the same tama clamp and boy i love it.

It super adjustable, super strong, and gives enough space between cymbals, even to have a 20" ride on it. Im so confident with mine im going to get another soon and run my ride off it, cut out using another stand. I know it might sound a bit dodgy, but ive done it with this one and it was more stable than some stands ive used!
    I've hung a 20" ride on mine too. Had that AND an 18" china and a 14" tom on the same stand. No problems other than it was a bear to carry on and off stage so I stopped doing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I've hung a 20" ride on mine too. Had that AND an 18" china and a 14" tom on the same stand. No problems other than it was a bear to carry on and off stage so I stopped doing it.
    Wow! I bet it was, i bag cymbals on stage so shouldnt be too big an issue for me
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that several companies make cymbal stackers. I have one, not currently in use, that you can thread on over the top of the wingnut on an existing cymbal. The stacker has it's own felts and wingnuts.
    Yeah I have a couple of DW cymbal stackers that I use for mounting small bells or splashes on top of other cymbals, they're very handy indeed.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I'm not a big fan of mounting cymbals over cymbals. I use these. I have one holding up a cute little 8" splash. It is currently riding on the snare drum. I also have a second one, that I clamp to my floor tom, and put a 20" ride on it. Holds up like a champ.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi