Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom stands

A slightly off topic question, but, is there a limit to the size of a tom that can be mounted in a stand? Secondly, is there an advantage to mounting a larger tom (say a 16") on a stand instead of floor mounting (with respect to sound; I can certainly see why a rack or stand mount could be beneficial compared to floor mounts).
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

As far as the limit, there are concert toms up to 18" that are stand mounted. I'd guess it depends on the stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    A slightly off topic question, but, is there a limit to the size of a tom that can be mounted in a stand? Secondly, is there an advantage to mounting a larger tom (say a 16") on a stand instead of floor mounting (with respect to sound; I can certainly see why a rack or stand mount could be beneficial compared to floor mounts).
    You would only be limited by the size of the tripod on the stand that you want to mount the drum to. It isn't so much the size or weight of the drum as the stands stability.

My opinion an opinion only...nothing beats the solidness of a floor tom with legs

all the best...

User Info Menu

I like having my toms on a stand. I like having my ride closer to the snare. With an off-set rack tom set up, I achieve the right height and distance I need for a comfortable ride position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I like having my toms on a stand. I like having my ride closer to the snare. With an off-set rack tom set up, I achieve the right height and distance I need for a comfortable ride position.
    Definitely. Me too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    You would only be limited by the size of the tripod on the stand that you want to mount the drum to. It isn't so much the size or weight of the drum as the stands stability.

My opinion an opinion only...nothing beats the solidness of a floor tom with legs

all the best...
    I have a 14 and a 15 inch heavy maple floor toms on my kit mounted on one tripod stand. It holds up fine, except for the whole stability thing. I have some thing like 10 pounds of weight on the back leg of the tripod stand to keep it steady from heavy abuse.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

What about a rack instead of stands? After the research I've done, it seems like the rack is even more flexible than stands, as the rack allows placement of toms and cymbals anywhere, not limited by where a stand can go due to legs. The rack can span over places where a stand can't go. It's a more expensive option, but, it seems to me, provides even more options. Just my $0.02, and this from a guy who doesn't even have his rack yet
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I second that about that rack, I don't have one but i've been looking into getting one for a while now, even if it just sits in my basement making sure my kit is always in the perfect position. I'll have to take stand out gigging or anything because any stages around here aren't big enough for the amount of stuff i'd like to have. Which if you ask me isn't all that much.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    I have a 14 and a 15 inch heavy maple floor toms on my kit mounted on one tripod stand. It holds up fine, except for the whole stability thing. I have some thing like 10 pounds of weight on the back leg of the tripod stand to keep it steady from heavy abuse.
    Put a leg directly under the weight of the toms then you wont need a counter balance.

User Info Menu

For me, I definitely like my toms mounted on stands vs kick. My kick is virgin (untapped) and I intend to keep it that way. Also, greater flexibility w/ stands. I like to have everything positioned just right. I have 2 smaller toms (8" and 10") and 3 larger crash cymbals (15", 16" and 17") all mounted on a single double tom stand (DW 9900). It's by far my most encumbered stand and it's fine re stability, although it's a bear to move around.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't tamper with a "virgin" kick either, but if an opportunity arose on a great set with bass mounting tom, I would go for it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Both my rack toms are on stands because I have an offset config.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

My 10" tom's hanging off a cymbal stand with a 20" crash, 11" alternates with a 12" mounted on the kick along side Bullwinkle the Moose or a splash on a DIY tube. (It's handy having an extra kick mount.)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

My cymbal stands are more like "trees"......
    My remote hat on left side has hihat,crash cymbal &
    tom arm & multi clamp for picollo snare,,,,no snare on floor (yet)

right hand side is ride cymbal,ice bell on top, lp cowbell below....

Or "da ultimate tree" is ride cymbal.crash cymbal.closed hihats
    and lp jam blocks all on one base !!!
    Altho havent called to action wif roland ekit (yet)...tis available
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    My cymbal stands are more like "trees"......
    My remote hat on left side has hihat,crash cymbal &
    tom arm & multi clamp for picollo snare,,,,no snare on floor (yet)

right hand side is ride cymbal,ice bell on top, lp cowbell below....

Or "da ultimate tree" is ride cymbal.crash cymbal.closed hihats
    and lp jam blocks all on one base !!!
    Altho havent called to action wif roland ekit (yet)...tis available
    I've tried that...got too heavy to carry to and from stage. But my toms were on the stands too.

User Info Menu

I like toms on a stand
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I like my toms on a stand especially cause I play a 24" kick and my Tom is off to the side. Until recently I always have my floor toms mounted to a stand but with my new kit I didn't get the option and my 16 & 18 have legs. It's ok but I like them mounted a lot better
    Last edited by drmpunk; 09-03-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Spelling