Thread: Sabian 17" HHX Evolution Effeks cymbal

User Info Menu

Default Sabian 17" HHX Evolution Effeks cymbal

I am considering on getting one next week if things work out right.I am wondering if anyone here has one or hit one. I have looked at the youtube videos and it seems to be an interesting cymbal. I was looking at a 16" or 18" HHX Ozone but with the holes in it,not sure I want to own one. I had the 18" AAX Ozone and 10" AAX Ozone splash and the splash broke at the bell so I dumped the 18" off since I thought it was to thin and would eventually crack.
    The Effeks seems to have about the same sound to my ears,a China/Crash mixture like the Ozones have. I have room to add 1 more cymbal over 16" so I have to make it count.After I add 1 more cymbal I will be limited to only a few splash cymbals since I have to many cymbals on my kit now.
    Here is the link to the youtube video
    http://youtu.be/D2Uhk4X7HuM
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Evos can take the heat

How did you go?

The HHX Evolutions seem to be quite flexible, as there have been some owners that attest that they stand up well (flex and bend rather than crack under force) even after use by heavy handed players.

I guess that'll be a plus if you get an HHX Evolution Ozone.

I have a 16" HHX Evolution Crash ---- absolutely love it. Though I don't lend it to heavy handed players (and am not heavy handed myself)...I think it is quite a well built cymbal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    I am considering on getting one next week if things work out right.I am wondering if anyone here has one or hit one. I have looked at the youtube videos and it seems to be an interesting cymbal. I was looking at a 16" or 18" HHX Ozone but with the holes in it,not sure I want to own one. I had the 18" AAX Ozone and 10" AAX Ozone splash and the splash broke at the bell so I dumped the 18" off since I thought it was to thin and would eventually crack.
    The Effeks seems to have about the same sound to my ears,a China/Crash mixture like the Ozones have. I have room to add 1 more cymbal over 16" so I have to make it count.After I add 1 more cymbal I will be limited to only a few splash cymbals since I have to many cymbals on my kit now.
    Here is the link to the youtube video
    http://youtu.be/D2Uhk4X7HuM

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian 17" HHX Evolution Effeks cymbal

I recently got the HHX 16" Ozone and similarly just love it - it's replaced my china at the moment as it's fast and loud, but gets out of the way perfectly after accents. Although I'm not the heaviest of players (I've never broken a cymbal in my life) I can't imagine it breaking under normal conditions.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

I didn't get the 17" Effecks cymbal. Decided I have enough of those type so of cymbals. Just sticking with what I have for now unless I come across a great deal. Right now I am only using a basic setup since I don't have the room in the new place to use all my cymbals.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Never tried that one, but I have tried the ozones. As long as you don't tighten down your cymbals too much and don't abuse them, they should last. The holes do make the cymbal easier to crack but again, if treated well they can last for a long time. I own a 16" B8 Pro Ozone, strangely it sounds really good to my ears. It has just a little bit of high-end shimmer, but not too much, so in a mix you still get that dark crash sound, but with a tiny bit of extra shimmer added to it. Mallet rolls on it are awesome too.

User Info Menu

I have tried that cymbal actually, there was one at a local shop for a while. I quite liked the sound of it, was a bit expensive though.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Default Making the Most of what is

Good to hear that you've decided what you'll be sticking with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    I didn't get the 17" Effecks cymbal. Decided I have enough of those type so of cymbals. Just sticking with what I have for now unless I come across a great deal. Right now I am only using a basic setup since I don't have the room in the new place to use all my cymbals.

User Info Menu

If anyone else is wondering about this cymbal, I've been using one for about a month now and love it. If you don't like low-pitched dark cymbals, stay away, but if you do, this is great. I would say the sound is more china than crash, but there is a mixture of both cymbal sounds in it. The edge is curved slightly downward, sort of like on a china cymbal when mounted bell-down but much less extreme. You can ride on it (slowly or it'll wash out), crash it, and get various other colors from it (even the bell is interesting, sort of like a much shorter ice bell). It's definitely worth checking out even if only for the unique sounds.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb More on the Sabian 17" HHX Evolution Effeks Cymbal

A good accompaniment to the O-Zone?

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    If anyone else is wondering about this cymbal, I've been using one for about a month now and love it. If you don't like low-pitched dark cymbals, stay away, but if you do, this is great. I would say the sound is more china than crash, but there is a mixture of both cymbal sounds in it. The edge is curved slightly downward, sort of like on a china cymbal when mounted bell-down but much less extreme. You can ride on it (slowly or it'll wash out), crash it, and get various other colors from it (even the bell is interesting, sort of like a much shorter ice bell). It's definitely worth checking out even if only for the unique sounds.

User Info Menu

Yes, they will work well together. I tried it with 2 Zildjian EFX (14" A Custom and 16" K) and it fit well. I ended up selling it just because it sounded pretty similar to my china and I have enough trash/crash sounds on my set, but if you want to add one I'd highly recommend it.

User Info Menu

I personaly want both of the cymbals but i have only heard them on mds
    Sabian!!!