Thread: Double Tom Stands

User Info Menu

Default Double Tom Stands

I'm looking at a couple of tom stands the Ludwig Atlas Standard Double Tom Stand and the Gibraltar Single Braced Double Tom Stand. The Gibraltar give me a little more flexibility as I can add a couple of boom arms for cymbals, where the Atlas only one. The Ludwig is double braced and goes with my drums, while the Gibraltar is single braced. The thing is my toms are shallow 7x8, 10x8, 12x8, but my bass drum is taller than most as it's 24x14.... I'm trying to avoid the clamp arms for the toms...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Tom Stands

In my humble opinion, I'd go with the Ludwig Atlas after looking at both stands. Why? The Atlas is double braced, and as you mentioned in your post, you're going need to extend the tom stand to clear a 24" bass drum which could result in a very tall and unstable situation. With the added weight of at least one or two cymbal boom arms, I would trust a double braced stand over a single braced stand:

Gibraltar single braced double tom stand. The tripod spread appears narrower than the Atlas stand if you compare both pics.

Ludwig Atlas double tom stand:

User Info Menu

I've been looking into a double tom mount too because what I have set up now is a kind of rigged up mess. I took the tom mount from the bass drum and tried to put it straight into a cymbal stand, but that didn't work because the tubing for the drum mount is thicker. So I took a pearl clamp (It's just like a double sided clamp I guess) and I attached it to one of my cymbal stands and put the drum mount on the other side kind of hanging over the cymbal stand to balance the weight. I think it's weird, but it's been working for a while.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Oops I went off on a tangent and forgot what I wanted to say in the first place... I have a PDP kit and I know PDP makes double tom mounts, but I was also wondering about Gibraltar ones, would the tom holders be the right size? I'm worried that it might be too big so it can't even go on or it might be too small so it would slip easily. These are the things I worry about.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

I'm not sure about the mount sizes. I have to do more investigating. Like I said, I don't want to float the toms over the bass drum with clamps on cymbal stands. I just wanted a little versatility because I'm getting some new cymbals, 10 in all and I'm not sure of my configuration yet. It's hard to get a mental picture, because my drums are still in the boxes. I'm waiting for my hardware. I had to send back what I received because I got 2 straight stands instead of 1 boom stand and 1 straight. I know I'm going to need more stands and some clamp arms and/or stackers.