Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dbl peddal vs. dbl bass drums

User Info Menu

Default dbl peddal vs. dbl bass drums

with do you like better? and why? im thinking of getting a better dbl pedal but could get an actual second bass and new single pedals for both basses for the same price as a realy good dbl pedal. witch do you like better?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Heard the argument over and over. I'm slightly biased towards the double bass because I'm into metal and all that jazz.

Double Bass
    PROS: More mounting possibilities, being centered, having the ability to have two different size bass drums, both drums have the beater hitting the middle of the skin instead of one slightly off....And you look cool behind two bass drums

CONS: More time needed to set up, and again you have to cart around another bass drum, more room needed to have two bass drums.

Oh and buying a hi-hat stand that could go next to your second pedal is expensive. (Most hi-hat stands are tri-pods and are not possible to set up next to your bass drum pedal if you have a double bass kit.)

Double Pedal
    PROS: Less space needed, can compensate for the the problem of having one beater off the middle by getting a wood beater etc, a good double pedal is all you really need to play metal etc (a second bass drum is normally just for show).

CONS: You don't let the skin 'breath'...I can't think any other reason off the top of my head, which is kind of bad considering I prefer double bass drum set-ups.

User Info Menu

actualy with the high hat if you tun it to be about a 90 degree angle to the pedal you can set it up to play with your heal and be fine. and the cons i can think for the pedal is that there less smoth unless you get a realy highend one and the other con thats a pro for the dbl bass is that you can set each pedal 100 percent how you want it you cant with the dbl pedal

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I play a double bass drum kit, and I have to tell you, forget double pedals.

Using two basses allows you to hear and feel your pedals respond much more than using a double pedal. There's no lag from a slave pedal. It's easier to play because you are more front on to the kit.

I think since I've bought my second bass, my speed has gone up twice as fast as it would've with a double pedal. I'm looking at getting some better pedals at the moment, but I'm a bit strapped for cash.

The hi-hat stand issue is a little annoying, although with my Pearl hardware you can rotate the tripod of the hit hat stand and move it as far out of the way as possible. I have it as close to me as I can without restricting the beater swing of the left bass pedal.

As far as I'm concerned, Two Bass Drums > Double pedal.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

well no matter what, the high hat pedal will always be kind of anoying to reach using pedal or DB. (from what iv heard). so thats a big thumbs down for me.

User Info Menu

Double bass drums. You can set them up to your own comfortable positioning without an extender bar in the way and mount more pieces on, simple as that. Also there's the fact that with double pedals, more pressure is added to the single drum during fast playing and can affect the tone. You can tune another bass drum to a different note as well as opposed to having the same note over and over.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

thanks i put in my order for a second bass today when i went up to the list sale witch is amazing

User Info Menu

I personally love a double pedal more. I like the look of a double bass set-up more but unless you have a tech or lots of patience go with the pedal. Tuning 2 bass drums and lugging them around can be a pain in the ***. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

Default Re: dbl peddal vs. dbl bass drums

I think 2 kick drums are better than a double pedal. I don't have 2 kicks, i have a crappy PDP dbl. pedal :(. The only bad things about having 2 kick drums is it takes up more room, its hard to keep the same sound, and it takes longer to set up. But with 2 kick drums, you can go faster with 2 crappy single pedals than you can with a good double pedal. Iv'e played on a double bass drum set at a store. the pedal wasn't a great one, but It was the fastest Iv'e ever played, even faster than the pearl eliminator that I tried at the store. With 2 kicks, you have more set up options. 2 kicks look really cool. If you are at a gig, the crowd will be more impressed if they see 2 kick drums. The head will also last longer because Only one beater will hit the drum.

User Info Menu

wow i havent looked back on this in a while. well i have two bass drums and yah the bling factor is awesome, and the tuneing options our great. tansport isnt as bad as i thought it would be, and honestly nither is set up. but the major problem ive been haveing is the high hat stand i like my high hat close to my snare and i could do that if i had a legless hat stand but i dont and i cant afford one so its kind of annoying but i love the feeling and with the different tuneings double bass paterns become realy cool.

User Info Menu

to each his own...I've had both and for me double pedal trumps double bass. my reasons: mainly use doubles for accents and fills. do not normaly play music that requires constant machine gun doubles. therefore the effort of lugging around the extra drum and the fact that i want the two kicks to sound like one drum = dbl pedal preference on my end. glad to hear your enjoying you dbl bass set up.

User Info Menu

A lot of good points have been made for each case. I prefer double bass hands down. So much so that I hunted down a second bass drum for my vintage Premier kit. I think the extra "burden" of having a second bass drum to haul is more than worth it for the comfort and symmetry of a double bass kit. I've actually had more luck with hi-hat stands paired with double bass drums (and an attachment arm) as opposed to a double pedal.
    Now if I was just using it for accents and fills instead of intricate beats and machine gunning, I might just use a quality double pedal and deal with it slightly being off and having the kit off center.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

yah i can understand for acents or fills it wouldnt be worth the trubbal. but most of my beats are based on double bass triplet patterns, or paradiddles or such. then its more than worth the trubble.
    but for every one pedal usesers and drum usesers alike what do you do for indepencence of feet to hands?
    like for example i sepertae a rudiment so my left foot plays the left hand part and my right hand plays its own part. or reverse that, or do it with the oposite limbs. or do a rudement with my feet while doing random stuf with my hands. one of the hardest things ive been working on lately was sugjested vicariously by ratmycue. feet paradidle, left hand clave on cow bell, right hand snare hi hat pattern in 4th/8th/16th notes. then switch hands and do the clave with the right and patern with the left.
    what do you do?

User Info Menu

Two bass drums. Ugh. Definitely not for me, lol.

Practically I think they're a nightmare, carting round an extra bass drum is not to be taken lightly. And plus, I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, if you've got two bass drums you'd better be prepared to own at least one of your own bass drum mics because loads of venues out there will not cater for double bass drum set-ups.

I know a guy who has a two bass drum set-up, he got so fed up with venues not being able to mic them both up that he bought a double pedal and used the second bass drum purely for show! Now come on, whats the point in that?

And also, I really don't agree that they look cool or impressive. Maybe to the metal heads in the audience they might think you look like Lars Ulrich or something but to be honest I think they look kind of silly, especially in small venues. I think the only people who can get away with two bass drums and not look a bit daft are the guys playing in major bands on big stages.

There's also a certain stigma about double bass drum set-ups. A lot of people would see the kit and think 'oh, here we go another Joey Jordison wannabe *yaaawn*', which of course is not a nice attitude to have but it will be there in people's minds and a lot of people might switch off to what you're actually playing.
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Ive only ever once played a kit with 2 bass drums but my mayt has a kit with a double bass drum pedal, i dont have (or particuarly want) either, but i did have the tym of my life playing the kit with 2 bass drums, a double pedal just doesnt feel real enough to me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    I know a guy who has a two bass drum set-up, he got so fed up with venues not being able to mic them both up that he bought a double pedal and used the second bass drum purely for show! Now come on, whats the point in that?.
    Well pretty much all the venues in York are tiny anyway except the Grand Opera House, and only touring bands play there :|
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Maybe so but everywhere has it's small venues, double bass drum kits just don't work in them in my opinion.
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: dbl peddal vs. dbl bass drums

HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMERDAVIE*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) I know from all the YEARS AS A VERY SERIOUS
    ARTISTIC ARTIST CREATIVE DRUMMER My WHOLE LIFE**- THAT I been PERFORMING with Double Bass ,I have Know Problems (AT) (OR) with
    Performing Very Complex Techniques with My Double PEDALS IN FACT THE FEET (PEDAL-TECHNIQUES )THE DRUMMER ARTIST LEARNS WITH ALOT OF WORK SHOULD & AND PERFORM EVERYTHING WITH his or HER PEDALS as GOOD AS YOUR HANDS do *EVERY KIND OF ROLLS FLAMS SINGLES DOUBLES PRESS -ROLLS EVERY THING**
    OF course (DIFFERENT STRUCTURED TECHNIQUES NEED TO BE LEARNED )BUT I know THAT IT CAN BE DONE BECAUSE I DO THIS ****Way befor
    THE DOUBLE PEDAL came I was useing TWO(2) BASS DRUMS ,Which At the time Was Very HOT ,But then At least for My Own DISTINCT UNIQUE TECHNIQUES I Find THAT useing Only (1)ONE BASS drum IS VERY HOT *
    I would Never go back to (2) TWO -BASS DRUMS ,AND For Me THEIR is
    No SLOW( OR) in better words ,THE Techniques THAT A Creative ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER MASTERS with A VERY DISCIPLINE CONTROL of EACH FOOT will Be JUST the SAME Meaning THAT Your LEFT FOOT PEDAL really Will Not Be SLOW (THE SLAVE PEDAL* as refer too THE TECHNIQUES THAT
    THE artist STUDIES Can BE FULLY performed Just AS WELL **I never REALLy
    HAD ANY problems Within THE CONTOL of My LEFT FOOT -PEDAL or ANY PROBLEMS with My (SOCK)-HI-HAT -PEDAL being In the WAY ,I just Know THAT THE ARTIST REALLY HAS TOO WORK Very HARD Too REALLY MASTER
    THESE TECHNIQUES Which Is ONLY going To ENHANCE THE ARTISTIC CREATIVE DRUMMER ARTIST in NEW HIGHER LEVELS NEW DIMENSIONS within HIS or HERS OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTRY ***I love USEING ONLY ONE BASS DRUM* BUT Like I always STATE WHAT EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST IS ALL GREAT ** GRACIASAS THIS IS A GREAT LEARNING JOURNEY***
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 04-26-2008 at 12:53 AM.

User Info Menu

i prefer double pedal. i have a DW 8000. i have no worries.for gigs or recording i feel its easier and less drama with one bass drum. i too use the double for accents and fills,with a real metal song here or there.but its not all i play.for recording, the slave bass drum would create sound problems with mics and such.i don't know anyone who can hear a song and be able to tell if its double pedal or double drum...but to each his own. i have no negitive anything for someone who has the two drums.i think it looks really cool and if you don't mind setting up and stuff, more power to ya.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Maybe so but everywhere has it's small venues, double bass drum kits just don't work in them in my opinion.
    I saw Evile when they did their tour promoting their album at the Junction. Their drummer's kit was double bass and it worked so amazingly well. The best thing is that it took up next to no more space than a normal kit.
    TBH I preferred the sound a lot more, double bass pedals always look silly in my opinion; it's like 'oh, do you really need that?'. They just seem like an afterthought.

BTW I assume you play in some York bands, what kinda groups do you know?
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, if you've got two bass drums you'd better be prepared to own at least one of your own bass drum mics because loads of venues out there will not cater for double bass drum set-ups.
    this is true but if you know how to tune your bass you can get some major volume out of it ive gotten mine to a point ware un miked they can still be herd over the entire band. i love it. but your right about them being a pain in small venues. theres this local one called mojos that im gonna try and fit my full set on(because i actualy use every peace of it) but its gonna take up about three fourths of the stage. pushing my band mates close to the edge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I saw Evile when they did their tour promoting their album at the Junction. Their drummer's kit was double bass and it worked so amazingly well. The best thing is that it took up next to no more space than a normal kit.
    TBH I preferred the sound a lot more, double bass pedals always look silly in my opinion; it's like 'oh, do you really need that?'. They just seem like an afterthought.

BTW I assume you play in some York bands, what kinda groups do you know?
    Ah, I really like the Junction as a venue, especially recently as they now have an amazing PA and lighting rig. My only complaint is its location. I've played so many gigs there I've lost count but never to a capacity audience simply because its difficult to get people to drag themselves all the way out there, lol. If it was in the middle of town it would be fantastic.

As for York bands I've been heavily involved in the York Uni scene for three years now and every now and again there'll be some fantastic bands that come and go. Fenna Rhodes and the True Ingredients were amazing when they were around, as were Conceptual Misfire, Lowground, Knick Knack & the Jam Master Square amongst others.

Currently I'm following Death Defying Life and Juliet Bravo quite closely, both very proficient at what they do. Also Half Hand Hoodoo and The Revelator Band have both blown me away live. Megawatt Winged Avenger were always good for a laugh and close friends of mine but they have recently split :-(

As for bands I'm in if you're in and around York keep an eye out for Make it Better Later, Low Flying Flag, Magic P and the Innuendos and Samba York. We take Samba out on the streets occasionally, especially around this time of year and its always good fun.

Anyway, apologies for taking that off topic a bit, I'd be interested to see a full double bass drum kit that takes up a similar amount of room as a single, that would be some clever setting up. I've seen kits like that in all the small venues around York (except Fibbers, never seen one there) and yes it can be done but I personally would never choose to do it. I've played on double bass drum kits when playing support slots around York and it always throws me off! Lol.

User Info Menu

why is there even a thread of this? the dbl. bass drum is much better. the double peddle is meant to imitate that while keeping space to a minimum. that's all. a dbl pedal wouldn't get as nice of a sound unless you had REALLY good technique and two beaters were NEVER touching the head at the same time.

User Info Menu

Well I think its already been mentioned but as far as I'm concerned the only reason you would possibly need a full double bass drum kit is if you were playing full on metal beats for extended parts of the song.

If its a case of using double bass as a way of adding little fills and licks, or the very occasional beat using double kick flams or runs I don't understand why a double bass drum kit would be a better choice.

User Info Menu

Well I think its already been mentioned but as far as I'm concerned the only reason you would possibly need a full double bass drum kit is if you were playing full on metal beats for extended parts of the song.

If its a case of using double bass as a way of adding little fills and licks, or the very occasional beat using double kick flams or runs I don't understand why a double bass drum kit would be a better choice.
    There's more to having a full double bass kit than full on metal beats for extended parts of the song. Playing complex rhythmic beats with your feet, symmetry, balance, comfort... those are just a few more reasons.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47