Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The cigars are out the window

User Info Menu

Default The cigars are out the window

Yep, I've had enough of them. Today is day number 7. Although, I hate to admit it, I went out and bought an e-cigar which is just like the e-cigs. I am hoping to start stepping down the nicotine intake slowly and finally just toss the whole works in the garbage. I do have to admit though, I am saving a ton of money not buying stogies. I was spending almost $200. a week on cigars. The e-cigar, I spent $80. for the setup and the liquid costs me less than $0.25 a day.

Man, I hate being addicted to nicotine. It's just so stupid. Arrrrg!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Default Re: The cigars are out the window

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Yep, I've had enough of them. Today is day number 7. Although, I hate to admit it, I went out and bought an e-cigar which is just like the e-cigs. I am hoping to start stepping down the nicotine intake slowly and finally just toss the whole works in the garbage. I do have to admit though, I am saving a ton of money not buying stogies. I was spending almost $200. a week on cigars. The e-cigar, I spent $80. for the setup and the liquid costs me less than $0.25 a day.

It's tough to beat an addiction to anything. I've seen the e-cigs work wonders for a few of my friends. At least your doing good and bring pro active towards your goal. Good luck man and hang in there!
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

$200 a week?? = $800 a month?? Good luck brother!!

User Info Menu

I'm an avid cigar smoker myself. Started a couple years ago when I turned 18. I've been smoking about once a day, which is $77/week for me. For $200/week, do you mind me asking what brand and model you're smoking?
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    I'm an avid cigar smoker myself. Started a couple years ago when I turned 18. I've been smoking about once a day, which is $77/week for me. For $200/week, do you mind me asking what brand and model you're smoking?
    Well, I was smoking Cohibas and Monte Cristos. The Cohibas would run me anywhere from $25. - $29. a stick.

I started using a Vision Spinner, which is more like an e-cig, but the battery feels like a cigar. Since I can't post a link, just google, Vision Spinner. The start up kit I bought was actually about $60., but I bought a bunch of e-liquids that resemble cigar flavors, thus the $80.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Ya, I know. I'm an idiot. I'm hoping to take that money and throw it in to a new kit. I'm looking into my crystal ball right now and seeing a new Gretsch USA kit and some new Zildjian custom A's.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Well, I was smoking Cohibas and Monte Cristos. The Cohibas would run me anywhere from $25. - $29. a stick.

I started using a Vision Spinner, which is more like an e-cig, but the battery feels like a cigar. Since I can't post a link, just google, Vision Spinner. The start up kit I bought was actually about $60., but I bought a bunch of e-liquids that resemble cigar flavors, thus the $80.
    Right after I picked up cigar smoking, Cigar Afficionado came out with their top cigars of the year list. That was the year the Alec Bradley Prensado was number one. After hearing that, I picked one up and really enjoyed it. So that's what I've been smoking. Only about $11 per cigar (Churchill size).
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

I applaud EVERYONE here that has taken the step to quit tobacco..saving your lungs so you don't end up walking around with a portable oxygen tank to keep you alive is HUGE!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    Right after I picked up cigar smoking, Cigar Afficionado came out with their top cigars of the year list. That was the year the Alec Bradley Prensado was number one. After hearing that, I picked one up and really enjoyed it. So that's what I've been smoking. Only about $11 per cigar (Churchill size).
    Oh ya, I don't doubt it. There are some good smokes out there than can be had for a decent price. I was buying boxes of cigars for around $100. Problem is, I'd go through 4-5 cigars a day. It adds up.

Nope, it truth, I'm done with it. I'm gonna kick the nicotine addiction next and just be done with all of it.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Man, you guys are crazy spending that kind of money on smokes. Good for you, Mark. Hope it sticks brother.

User Info Menu

I don't smoke cigars too much but bought 3 in a nice case in Cancun. I thought I'd share them with the guys in the band. When I got back here customs made me break open the box because the case had ''Made in Colombia'' or ''Product of Colombia'' something like that printed on it. Took the case from me and gave me the 3 cigars back. I can't remember what the Customs boy said to me but at first I laughed a little because this little puke was acting like John Wayne but he was being serious

Once you go into an airport you lose all your rights. Especially if you gotta go through customs.

anyway good luck Mark
    Last edited by slinky; 06-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Mark, good luck to you brother..............I'm still struggling on this end, and probably always will.

Those USA Customs and some Zildjians should be excellent motivation though. Keep it up

User Info Menu

Where did you get that E-cigs idea from?

User Info Menu

Good for you Mark. I'm pulling for you and praying for you brother. I quit smoking and drinking 3 years ago and quit a drug 7 years ago. Don't miss it a bit!!! However I have been chewing for 25 years and I still chew. Nicotine is by far the hardest of all things to quit!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Animaldrums9585 View Post
    It's tough to beat an addiction to anything. I've seen the e-cigs work wonders for a few of my friends. At least your doing good and bring pro active towards your goal. Good luck man and hang in there!
    It is very tough.

Ya, I know. I'm an idiot. I'm hoping to take that money and throw it in to a new kit. I'm looking into my crystal ball right now and seeing a new Gretsch USA kit and some new Zildjian custom A's.
    No, you're not an idiot at all. Just keep your focus on what you want to do, quit, and you will be fine. It will be tough at times but the longer you go without one the easier it will be to deal with a craving in the future. Before you know it you probably won't have any cravings. And keeping your focus on that new set and cymbals!!! Good goal to have now that you are saving money.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Where did you get that E-cigs idea from?
    I'll give ya a hint. Look in the mirror. (Thanks man.)
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Man, you guys are crazy spending that kind of money on smokes. Good for you, Mark. Hope it sticks brother.
    Thanks marko!

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I don't smoke cigars too much but bought 3 in a nice case in Cancun. I thought I'd share them with the guys in the band. When I got back here customs made me break open the box because the case had ''Made in Colombia'' or ''Product of Colombia'' something like that printed on it. Took the case from me and gave me the 3 cigars back. I can't remember what the Customs boy said to me but at first I laughed a little because this little puke was acting like John Wayne but he was being serious

Once you go into an airport you lose all your rights. Especially if you gotta go through customs.

anyway good luck Mark
    Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Mark, good luck to you brother..............I'm still struggling on this end, and probably always will.

Those USA Customs and some Zildjians should be excellent motivation though. Keep it up
    Thanks Butch. You have already helped me more than you know.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Good for you Mark. I'm pulling for you and praying for you brother. I quit smoking and drinking 3 years ago and quit a drug 7 years ago. Don't miss it a bit!!! However I have been chewing for 25 years and I still chew. Nicotine is by far the hardest of all things to quit!!!
    It is very tough.

No, you're not an idiot at all. Just keep your focus on what you want to do, quit, and you will be fine. It will be tough at times but the longer you go without one the easier it will be to deal with a craving in the future. Before you know it you probably won't have any cravings. And keeping your focus on that new set and cymbals!!! Good goal to have now that you are saving money.
    Thanks DSS. I know what you're saying about nicotine. I chewed many years ago AND smoked! I don't remember what I did to give up chew, but from what I remember, it wasn't easy. Cigarettes were another thing that was tough to quit. I just substituted cigars. I just want to be done with all of it. I'm tired of having to rely on something like this.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I do have to admit though, I am saving a ton of money not buying stogies. I was spending almost $200. a week on cigars.

I'm looking into my crystal ball right now and seeing a new Gretsch USA kit and some new Zildjian custom A's.
    WOW -- I spend less than that on my heroin habit and at least I get a great buzz out of it !

I'm kidding of course............but I am making a point.

$200 (52 weeks) = $10,400 per year.

$10,400 should buy a nice set of Gretsch/Zildjian............do it !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

$200 (52 weeks) = $10,400 per year.

$10,400 should buy a nice set of Gretsch/Zildjian............do it !

Ya, exactly. I really needed to start making better choices years ago.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Good for you my friend!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Good for you my friend!
    Thanks brother!
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I'll give ya a hint. Look in the mirror. (Thanks man.)

Stick with them. Come October, it will be 3 years for me on E-cigs, and I didn't have 2 seconds of withdrawl symptoms.

They do work. I'm glad I gave you the idea.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 06-10-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: ---

User Info Menu

Good Luck Mark, between me and the wife we smoke 4 packs a day, I don't want to do the math for a year. I'm gonna try the e cigs soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow!! that's a massive saving there, good luck with it.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Good luck you can make it happen! Plus getting new gear is awesome so stay focused!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Stick with them. Come October, it will be 3 years for me on E-cigs, and I didn't have 2 seconds of withdrawl symptoms.

They do work. I'm glad I gave you the idea.
    Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Good Luck Mark, between me and the wife we smoke 4 packs a day, I don't want to do the math for a year. I'm gonna try the e cigs soon.
    Thanks man. The wife, who smoked a little over a pack a day is on week 8 and she has told me she doesn't even miss them. I was very skeptical at first, but it amazing how much you do actually feel like you're smoking. Do your homework before you go out and buy one though. There are some on the market that are utter crap.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Wow!! that's a massive saving there, good luck with it.
    Ya, no kidding. I was spending close to that every month but, I'm not going to be a fool any longer with my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleb21 View Post
    Good luck you can make it happen! Plus getting new gear is awesome so stay focused!
    Thanks man. I appreciate the sentiment.
    Stolen from EddieV: