Thread: Patio drumming

User Info Menu

Default Patio drumming

Couple questions. First off I have been playing for a while and have played numerous shows and am comfortable in that sense. However I haven't really played many patio gigs with just one acoustic guitarist who sings. Just a couple of times for a few songs while not getting paid.

1) What style of drumming should be used and with what equipment? Do you use a hi-hat for beats or just simply a bass and snare? Do you bring a ride/crash? Or do you just bring a cajon perhaps?

There should be no "right" answer because certain styles can sound better for certain songs, but I am just curious to the different methods some of you use. Any additional techniques or tips would be great!

2) I have a 20" kick on my kit but ordered a brand new quality kit with a 22" kick drum. Is a 22" kick too big for patio? I was going to sell my old kit and hopefully get $400 max, but I think I'll just keep it for now and use the 20" for patio that way I can make that money back rather than bring a brand new quality kit to these gigs.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Patio drumming

Really what determines that is how the guitar and vocals will be amplified. If it's going to be a loud gig with a full PA system, then your normal kit might be ok. But if it's unamplified acoustic guitar and vocals, you probably should just do use cajon.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

What's a PATIO Gig?
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Smallest drums possible, and likely just a kick, snare, and hats. Some extra percussion is good too. Sometimes just chill the drums and shake a tambourine or something.

all the best...

User Info Menu

i woud just take my basic kit (hats, ride, crash, and drums) and see what happens. then go from there.

have fun man!!
    OCDP VANICE SERIES BLUE ONYX
    22" bass drum
    12" tom
    16" floor room
    13" pearl piccolo snare
    14" ocdp snare

Zildjian cymbals
    20" A Ride
    18" A Crash
    18" Z3 China
    17" A Crash
    14" A Hi hats

Practice
    Vic Firth
    Heavy hitter stock pad
    REMO, IRON COBRA, PRO MARK, AHEAD

User Info Menu

If it's an acoustic job, there's always a Cajon, shakers, or a small kit with Hod Rods/brushes.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

^ This. Or even a djembe if you know how to play one. I'm looking to get a cajon plus a cajon pedal to add to my percussion arsenal.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Theres a setup Ive seen on Youtube that is like a psudo-c.ocktail kit. Heres a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2t9SoBBA9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zo55SW-RNo

This way you can still sit down, just bring like one tom and a snare (as well as cymbals). Using the floor tom as a bass drum you have much more room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    What's a PATIO Gig?
    Patio just means like an outdoor gig at a bar, where most bars in the summer have a patio you can sit outside on and drink beers, usually they'll have an acoustic singer and sometimes a 2 piece, acoustic and a drummer.

User Info Menu

I'd say a cajon or djembe kind of acoustic thing. Likewise, you could just use a smaller kit. As long as it isn't overwhelming the rest of the band, I'd say it will fit nice.
    "If you've got a problem, take it out on a drum."
    -Neil Peart

User Info Menu

Tune your kick very low and resonant, use a very soft wool beater, so you get a nice low resonat but not loud boomp sound, a nice shimmery ride your snare, some brushes and lots of creativity.

User Info Menu

It all depends on the music, patio/venue, the room you have, the sound you're trying to achieve, the volume you want/don't want... a number of factors.

I play in a full band but the two guitar players do duets as well and at times they want percussion backing them. So I have congas, bongos, a crash/ride, shaker and tambourine that I will take for smaller, patio gigs. I have used a cajon but we all seem to like the hand percussion I mentioned above.

Having a smaller kit as Northern Redneck described is a nice option also. I just haven't found the need for one with what I am doing with my guitar players when they do duets.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I like djembes
    If we stand for nothing we'll fall for anything.

Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 2017

Gig'em and KCCO

User Info Menu

Hey,

Yeah it way different. My girlfriend is a singer song writer, and we play a lot of duets...It all depends on what you want to do.

I always bring my snare and a hi hat...I have a little 10in snare that I bring out on occasions. I also use my crash cymbal and usually put my highest tom on a clamp an attach to the cymbal. Sometimes I use a bass sometimes no, but I always bring a cajon that I sit on. Depends on how patio it is...I bring sticks and brushes and I end up playing a lot of it with my brushes. I have the vic forth whites and purples, the white are a little stiffer and more "rock" then the purples which really are much better for playing traditional jazz brushes. I like the brushes because the hi hat and the cymbals don't stand out too much or aren't too punchy. , subtle is what I am always going for.

Their is no right answer, but it is fun just to bring pieces of a kit and play something suuuuper simple. Also you dont want to be up on the stage with a monster kit in front of a mellow singer song writer.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

check out Rival Sons, Michael Miley is the king of this acoustic gig