Thread: Scored a new Ride cymbal at GC's list sale

User Info Menu

Default Scored a new Ride cymbal at GC's list sale

Well I went to the list sale today. I've been thinking for a long time about upgrading my ride to something a little less bright with a more classic jazz sound. I found a used 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Classic Ride for $160.00 after trying it and several others out for a while I whipped out the GC credit card and bought it. I did like the Zildian K Dark ride a little more, but at over $300 dollars I didn't like it that much more. I think I got a pretty good deal on a cymbal that is just what I was looking for. Salesman said the guy that owned it traded it in for a high end bosphorus cymbal. It's it perfect condition no keyholing or cracks.
    Last edited by Church Drummer; 09-03-2007 at 04:39 PM.

User Info Menu

I wasn't all too happy with the sound of Zildjian setup. Honestly, I don't see what all the hype about them is, especially with the A customs. They sound muffled and flat, but did have a nice bright tone. If anything I think they K's are the best. Congrats on your purchase.

Were they selling whole set's for $20 down your way, PB?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'm not PB, and I didn't pay much attention to what deals they were making on sets, since I'm not in the market I didn't want to look and be tempted. The better half might not be so understanding about another new set of shells so soon. Right now my priority is upgrading my B8s to some quality cymbals.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

they had a full dw kit in mine for 1 thousand dollors, and i mean full shells, hard ware, the works and i allmost cryed because i cant afford one thousand dollors. and why do you like sabian the best cd? and why paist for you 32nd?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Sorry Church Drummer lol. I guess I relate church and pastors in my head and think of the same thing haha.

And DD, Paiste is an incredible cymbal all around. Every cymbal up from the Wild 2002 family is completely hand made and incredibly satisfying. Next time you go to Guitar Center check out the cymbal room and compare every other brand to Paiste's. The only thing wrong with them is that they're underrated and a little overpriced lol.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

nice score church drummer. thats a great ride.

User Info Menu

32HB, I've seen Church Drummers' posts. To have you mistake him for me, I am honored. He seems like a great guy!

CD, I think you did well on your buy. To get the Sabien Hand Hammered Ride for only $160, well, my hats off to you, brother!

I went to the GC in Nashville this morning, and I scored an 18" Wuhan China cymbal, and a used 120w Crate Acoustic amplifier (really lucked into that one). I can do the little bit extra, because I don't have a better half to consider. Off hand, I think we both did well!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I actually almost went with a Paste Alpha series ride, but it was a little brighter sound than I was looking for so I went with the Sabian HH instead. I do really like the Zildian K, and if I had an unlimited budget I probably would have went with that. Drummerdavie to answer your question, I like Sabian mostly because I think they are good sounding cymbals at a reasonable price. There are others that are a little better, but they tend to be a lot more money.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Well I went to the list sale today. I've been thinking for a long time about upgrading my ride to something a little less bright with a more classic jazz sound. I found a used 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Classic Ride for $160.00 after trying it and several others out for a while I whipped out the GC credit card and bought it. I did like the Zildian K Dark ride a little more, but at over $300 dollars I didn't like it that much more. I think I got a pretty good deal on a cymbal that is just what I was looking for. Salesman said the guy that owned it traded it in for a high end bosphorus cymbal. It's it perfect condition no keyholing or cracks.
    Awesome man, I love getting deals, and you got an awesome deal.

User Info Menu

To Pastor Bob & Church Drummer:isnt Drumming Its Own Religion?we Are All Brothers Brothers On This Ride So "play If Forward",,cd Excellant Choice,,,,i Believe Beauty Is In The Ears Of The Beholder When It Comes To Cymbal Sounds,,,,pb Good Choice As Well,,,heck I'm Usin A Sabian 21 1/2" Chad Smith Signature Crash For A Ride What Do I Know? Hahhahaha