Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snares

User Info Menu

Default snares

whats your favorite kind. material, size, snareing strands, heads, everything about your snare or the one you wish you had.
    i have a chrome pasific picalo snare 3.5x13 crome with standard strands. and a pasific x7 5x14 with a 42 strands and an evens reverse power dot head.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I'd like a bronze 7x14 with a 20 divided snare strand and some Evans heads sha.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

nice any manufacturer preferance?

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

DD, I've got a Gretsch Catalina maple snare that is 14x7, and it's got the stock head on it (Remo UT, coated). I really haven't decided where to go on the heads for this kit, but I am leaning towards Remo Ambassadors, coated. When I sat down and played the Catalina maple kit at the music store, I fell in love with the kit, because of the sound of the snare. It pops, but still has a bit of low tone to it. I love it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks pb. i may have to look into that one, (i have a chance for a free snare form my pops) by any chance have you played with a deeper one? say a 8 x 14 or 10x14 (i know dw makes one but i have never seen or heard it.)

User Info Menu

No, I'm a relative newbie - started playing a kit in March - so I have limited experience with the various snares. I have heard the 14X5 in birch, and mixed woods (Yamaha), and I thought they were OK, but when I heard the Catalina maple with the extra depth, I thought it was about the greatest sound I had ever heard. I'm sure there will be other snares that I will experience, but this one will be the one I judge all other by!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

allright i will definatly look into that one. if only there was giant room with every possible snare and cybol that we can try till we find the perfict one. that would make this so much easyer

User Info Menu

Amen to that!

User Info Menu

that and one for cymbols if someone were to open up that store they would over take gituar center in a month.

User Info Menu

I've only played on a 6x14 Pearl Forum snare. What snare would you recommend for an upgrade? I'll probably have some money on my birthday next month
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Orange County Drums makes the sweetest snares on the planet (IMO). The nicest one I've ever heard was a sixteen ply maple 6X14 with no vents.

User Info Menu

well i havent played with a whole lot. but if you want to stick with pearl then i would say the joey jordinson sig. not because its his sig but becase its a power picalo. it has the high pop and crack of a picalo but some solid power, if you dont then maybe the tama star classics those are fun i got to play with one yesterday at music village you can tune it to a high and tight, you can tune it low and rattley, popy, cracky, whatever you want. its a good snare.

User Info Menu

i have a few nice snares.
    14x6 13 ply tama g-maple - with evans coated g-1 batter, evans hazy 300 snare side, and standard puresound wires.
    great all around workhorse

14x5 pearl brass free floater - remo emporor x batter, ambassador reso, stock wires.
    the METAL snare

14x5 pearl maple freefloater - coated g1 (sometimes remo fibreskyn) over clear g1, stock wires.
    the JAZZ snare

14x6.5 ludwig supraphonic - coated ambassador over clear ambassador, standard puresound wires.
    the CLASSIC ROCK snare
    i use all of those on a regular basis and love em all for differeent things. the only other snare or sound i really need is a deep 14x8 maple snare, there are a couple DWs im looking at in that size. i might have my friend from treehouse custom drums build one for me.
    i also have a couple other ok drums...
    14x5 mapex pro m with ambassador batter and stock reso and wires.

old ludwig acryilte - coated amb over clear amb, standard puresounds.

User Info Menu

I'm fond of wood snares particulary. Doesn't matter to me as much the brand of snare drum as long as it's high quality. I can usually get it to sound good. I mostly use Remo coated emporers on the top and Remo ambassadors snare side for the bottom.

User Info Menu

have any of you ever used the spaun vented acrilc? i heard good things about them but cant find anyware that carrys them around hear.

User Info Menu

I have a snare made by SMD... Its 14" x 6.5", 10 ply mapel with several 1" holes in the shell. It sounds great, and its so loud it rarely needs mic'ing.
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

thanks matt that mostly what i was wondering about the vents.
    and welcome abord.

User Info Menu

My main snare is an Pearl Omar Hakim signature model. It's a 6x13 6ply all Mahogany. My future snares I want are one from Brady and one from Craviotto. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

I would get a sjc snare 8x14 steel or bronze with puresound 42 strand wires and a remo powerstroke 3 on top and ambasodor hazy on bottom.

User Info Menu

right now i use a 5.5X14 steel snare, stock heads, evans hazy 300 reso. stock wires.

what i dream of: A 6.5X13 Bell Brass Snare with Remo Emperor X batter and Clear Ambassador Resonant. 42 wire strand.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Cool

My primary snare is a PEARL FREE FLOATING MAPLE SNARE/LEFT SIDE SNARE IS A PEARL STAINLESS STEEL SNARE/I HAVE A PRE '64 LUDWIG SUPER SENSITIVE AND A LATE 50'S SLINGERLAND MAPLE (DUPLEX FINISH) SNARE...AND ASHAMED TO SAY A "YAMAHA POWER V" SNARE THAT EVEN GOD CANT HELP.....ANYONE WANNA TRADE,,,,HAHHAHAHA.....

User Info Menu

I like a lot of snares, but my favorite is the Spring Snare, I like to watch the little guy run through the snare, disengage the trigger bar and then watch as it’s flung off the ground. But that’s just me………

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    My primary snare is a PEARL FREE FLOATING MAPLE SNARE/LEFT SIDE SNARE IS A PEARL STAINLESS STEEL SNARE/I HAVE A PRE '64 LUDWIG SUPER SENSITIVE AND A LATE 50'S SLINGERLAND MAPLE (DUPLEX FINISH) SNARE...AND ASHAMED TO SAY A "YAMAHA POWER V" SNARE THAT EVEN GOD CANT HELP.....ANYONE WANNA TRADE,,,,HAHHAHAHA.....
    Please, stop yelling at us. Its hurting my ears!

User Info Menu

I like snares with a nice loud POP to them. If you listen to Primus at all, thats what I like to hear.

Side note: I have the regular Pearl Export snare that came w/ my set, but recently one of my boys stuck a couple pieces of chalk into the vent hole in the side.. so now I get a little rattle effect when I hit it. Kinda cool soundin
    "It's always funny until someone gets hurt... and then it's just hilarious!!!"

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat Crack Hitler!
    Have a good time at the best drum forum in the world
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!