Thread: Not Drums, But A Gear Review

User Info Menu

Default Not Drums, But A Gear Review

I have been struggling with sound thru my mics. I have been getting a descent sound, but not exactly what I have been wanting to hear. I want my drums to sound thru the mics, what they sound like in my room(full, open, warm sound with attack and punch)and I have not been hearing that thru my EV PL series mics. I also feel I shouldn't have to mess with a ton of EQ to get close to a sound I want, but still not achieving the sound I am after. I have been so frustrated with this. I am the type of person, that is something doesn't sound right, it bothers me to the point of distracting me from my playing. So I started doing some research, shopping around, watching videos and just spending a lot of time researching drum mics. Everything I read led me to the Audix D Series Mics(D2's, D4's and D6)so I started looking around online getting prices and I was like, OMG I can't afford these. So before I decided to take the plunge, I contacted a very well known, very talented drummer, who I happen to be good friends with(who also happens to own a recording studio)to ask his opinion, and he also suggested the Audix D Series mics, and that is was he uses, so I met with him, check them out, and was instantly sold on them. There solidly built, look fantastic, but more importantly, they produce the sound I have been desperately trying to get. So I spent several days shopping around, to see how cheap I could get these mics, because I just could not spend $800 on mics. So I ended up, after a week of constant searching and searching. I found all of the mics I need(wanted) for total out the door shipped via eBay for just under $500. This includes the heavy duty case, 2 D2's, 1 D4, 1 D6 the i5 and 3 D-Vise mounts. These are ALL brand spanking new, but I purchased them all piece by piece and I am stoked!!!

Now for the review.

Audix swears up and down that these need little to no additional eq, compression or anything. Well let me just say, THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! I turned all my EQ setting flat(0) and plugged these mics in and HOLY MOLY these mics are amazing. The sound that I have so desperately been wanting took literally 5 minutes to achieve. The D-Vise Mounts are so great and they allow perfect positioning with total ease. There is ZERO bleed from mic to mic ZERO which is HUGE to me and my room. The quality is just top notch, and I have to say I am beyond excited about these mics.

Expect a new video very soon, and I am sorry for the long review.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not Drums, But A Gear Review

DWdrumr.................I've also been looking for decent mics............I may go with the Shure 57-52 kit, just because the cost is significantly cheaper than the Audix mic packs..............still not sure (no pun intended) though.

User Info Menu

DW, thats a good story and great review
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I use the same mics and I agree with your review. I added (2x) Shure 57 and (1x) AKG T-170 as overheads mics:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I use the same mics and I agree with your review. I added (2x) Shure 57 and (1x) AKG T-170 as overheads mics:

Fantastic Brother!
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -