Thread: porthole

User Info Menu

Default porthole

well, i think its time to make a port hole for my bassdrum, and since i wanna do this right i need to know were to put the hole, and how big it should be and what i should cut it with etc.

User Info Menu

What does a port hole do? muffle the drum?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

You mean you want to put a hole in the resonant bass drum head?
    Typically this for using a mic in a live situation. However, I think it makes most bass drums sound better and project better. There are kits for this. I believe the company is called "holz". Do a search for them... their product comes with instructions, and the product itself is a metal ring that prevents the head from cracking or tearing at the spot that you will cut.
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Some think that port holes are just for micing but they also allow the drum to breathe a little in un-mic'ed situations. It allows just enough air to escape that it gives the bass drum a little more "thud". Otherwise, the drum (depending on how it's tuned of course) can sound a little ringy or "boingy". I personally fell in love with port holes when the idea was introduced back in the 80's. Remember, port holes are not for everyone. A lot of drummers are trying to get back to a more purist way of thinking. (i.e. Why would you put a hole in the bass drum? You don't put a hole in your tom.) But as I teach my students, if you want a nice rock/funk type of thud from your kick, then why not do whatever it takes? I don't buy all this crap about you can't put a pillow in your bass drum because of x, y , and z. If you acheive the desired sound you're looking for, who cares what method you use to get it? Conversely, if you're playing traditional jazz, you're not going to be wanting a bass drum with a huge pillow and a port hole. You're going to want the drum to sing. This requires more resonance and tone from the bass drum. When I'm playing in a jazz combo, I use a smaller kit that's tuned for jazz.
    Last edited by drummer; 09-04-2007 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I ported my bass drum it does get rid of some of the ringing, and resonance that you get without it, and it does help you get more of that thud sound. I found with the head ported I didn't need to mute the drum, but if I needed some muting I could roll up a towel and stick it in the porthole without removing the head.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

i use the ol' hot tin can method for making holes. however the metal HOLZ look pretty cool.

all you have to do is take your average tin can heat it up on the stove till its red hot and place it wherever you want the hole. take safety into consideration, use gloves and make sure area under the head is not flamable.

User Info Menu

Lol funky, that does sound like fun. I took mine into the music store and they did it for me using a proper kit. I got one of those red groovy looking rings which look really cool and yes the bass drum had a better note to it (in my opinion) after that.

User Info Menu

There's a little kit that Remo makes called DynamO's. They're just basically a stronger black plastic ring, perfectly sized to the hole. All you have to do is whip off the backing, to get the adhesive side and place it wherever you want the hole. Then with an Exacto-knife or Stanley knife, cut the hole out. The stronger plastic stops you from cutting right into your bass head, and you end up with a perfectly sized hole.

The plastic is also meant to add a fatter, more punchy thud to your bass drum, but I haven't heard too much difference so far.

I'll post up some pics of the job I did when I get a chance. I only did mine over the weekend as well.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

thanks for the suggestion guys.

User Info Menu

I put a port hole in my bass head just so I can smuggle things like cookies and candy bars more efficiently. Blessings.....

User Info Menu

LOL Good one Middleman!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!