Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumping Ship

User Info Menu

Default Jumping Ship

I've played Gretsch for the last ten years and have loved my Catalina Birch kit and my Catalina Club kit. Even though lower end sets they have served me well and always had a good sound with them. I've considered upgrading and getting a new set, but have reservations that I may not get the sound I've grown to love so much.

I've looked at DW's, which are a bit pricey for the setup I'd like to get. I've considered TAMA's Starclassics, but once again a bit pricey... Staying with Gretsch, I've looked at the new Renowns, but still unsure...

To get to the point... a good friend of mine has a set of Pearl Masters that I have always loved. I've heard them live and on recordings and always sound amazing! For the money they would cost, quality of drums they are, and proving audio trials I've heard, I may be convinced this is the route I go in the future. I know it's all about the audio and what sounds best in the end. It is easy to find good things about each kit, but I'm looking for some insight from people who have these sets, about some of the dislikes or things you may know now that you aren't so crazy about, or didn't notice at first. Like quality control issues in the manufacturing process, mounting hardware concerns, durability issues or any insight would be helpful.

Here is a picture of the Masters set that draws my curiosity. Beautiful!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jumping Ship

I've had my Masters for over 5 years and there is absolutely nothing about them I dislike. The finish, the construction, the hardware, the sound...they have it all.

That blue is driving me mad. I'd scoop them up in a heartbeat if I was in the market.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I play a Pearl Masters at church. Great drums. And Pearl has some of the best finishes.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

i had been with Mapex for the last 5-6 years, i brought a Masters kit a few months ago and i love it, everything is exactly what i want in a kit, the sound/sizes/finish everything, i'd recommend a Masters kit to anyone.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

WOW, just go with it bro.. that is a beautiful kit and I have never heard one complaint about a Masters kit, it's a can't miss.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yes, don't hesitate they(Masters) are the greatest sounding drums ever. I am surprised that there are some Master owner here cause I thought I was the only one lol. I bought mine in 2005 when the MCX where introduced replacing the older Masters series and never looked at another kit since. No dislikes for this series, easy to tune (die cast hoops) great sound from the 6py shells, love the Optimount system etc. Just love em and I would buy another one if I had the money. Good luck to what you decide.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-17-2013 at 07:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    (die cast hoops) great sound from the 6py shells
    Wonder who thought of all that ?

Back in the early 70s when I was exclusively playing my olive & blue badge 3-ply Ludwigs, another drummer I knew brought home a new set of Pearls. I have no idea if Pearl at that time had pro line and other lower level kits available.............all I know is that his new kit was total crap and it was Japanese. Since almost all Ludwigs at the time were pro line kits, I assumed everybody that made drums simply had a single product to offer..........thus began my (admittedly) horrible bias toward everything Pearl...........don't like the name..........don't like the logo...........don't like the looks of the hardware and the racks.............never bought a Pearl kit and never will.........too many good American-made options............as in, the company that made your current kit also makes a pro line drum that is not only top-shelf, it has been a classic for decades and is also the drum that most other makers have tried to emulate.

However, after saying all that, I do realize my bias is exactly that, and Pearl makes some excellent drums............most of all, the Masters series.
    I am certain that the shells that Mangini uses will stand up to anything on the market right now........so they must be awesome.

Like someone else has said many times on this board -- you are the guy that has to live with your decision -- get what you want and embrace what you get.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Is that kit yours
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Pearl makes some amazing sounding drums and I wouldn't worry too much about "jumping ship" especially considering how much of an upgrade that would be! They will sound and look great. Buy what looks and sounds great to ya!
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Yes, don't hesitate they(Masters) are the greatest sounding drums ever. I am surprised that there are some Master owner here cause I thought I was the only one lol. I bought mine in 2005 when the MCX where introduced replacing the older Masters series and never looked at another kit since. No dislikes for this series, easy to tune (die cast hoops) great sound from the 6py shells, love the Optimount system etc. Just love em and I would buy another one if I had the money. Good luck to what you decide.
    You back??

User Info Menu

Wow, very nice looking kit!

User Info Menu

Everyone, thanks very much for the insight!! I have started a drum fund that i'm putting money into now specifically for the kit. Within the next couple months I hope to be posting pics of a new Pearl Masters Kit. HC, this is not my kit, but belongs to a long time, good friend of mine who drew my attention towards the Pearl line. I really love this blue to black fade color, but have also seen a black with galaxy sparkle on a Masterworks set another friend of mine has. It looks amazing under stage lights, but I haven't researched enough to see if they still have that finish. Time to do some homework and shop around for some deals. I'll definitely let you guys know when I finally get them.. Thanks again!
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

hey man, you said it yourself... the audio is what you're after. If you're stepping up in both the quality of the sound and quality of the instrument itself, it matters not what it says on the logo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Animaldrums9585 View Post
    I've played Gretsch for the last ten years and have loved my Catalina Birch kit and my Catalina Club kit. Even though lower end sets they have served me well and always had a good sound with them. I've considered upgrading and getting a new set, but have reservations that I may not get the sound I've grown to love so much.

I've looked at DW's, which are a bit pricey for the setup I'd like to get. I've considered TAMA's Starclassics, but once again a bit pricey... Staying with Gretsch, I've looked at the new Renowns, but still unsure...

To get to the point... a good friend of mine has a set of Pearl Masters that I have always loved. I've heard them live and on recordings and always sound amazing! For the money they would cost, quality of drums they are, and proving audio trials I've heard, I may be convinced this is the route I go in the future. I know it's all about the audio and what sounds best in the end. It is easy to find good things about each kit, but I'm looking for some insight from people who have these sets, about some of the dislikes or things you may know now that you aren't so crazy about, or didn't notice at first. Like quality control issues in the manufacturing process, mounting hardware concerns, durability issues or any insight would be helpful.

Here is a picture of the Masters set that draws my curiosity. Beautiful!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Nice kit those are so nice , love the color, what are those sizes..same sizes your looking for. If that is a 20" bd they have a great punchy sound to them
    Last edited by myk; 06-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Pearl Masters are nice drums! The national touring headlining drummers for two shows I worked as a local drum tech for my bud's metal band used Masters. They had lots of punch. Good warranty for kits made on or after June 15, 2009 to the original owner:

User Info Menu

I don't know anything about those drums other than they look fantastic.

User Info Menu

American factories are no better than overseas ones. It's just another place to make a drum. I agree that back in the 70s-80s it was a little rough for Pearl, but their influence over the drumming market is quite vast. Interestingly enough, Pearl has supplied shells for 30 different companies until the 60's when they started their own operations. Gretsch was one of those companies. The hardware looks a certain way because strong and stable, resistant to slipping or even breaking like smaller L-rods can. Only a few companies compare to everything Pearl offers, once you take their Masterworks program into consideration. They also fooled around with a type of acrylic shell at one point, and a composite as well. Innovators through and through.
    Last edited by Russ; 06-18-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Pearl has supplied shells for 30 different companies until the 60's when they started their own operations. Gretsch was one of those companies.
    Not for the Gretsch USA Customs............Don't know where you got that.
    Gretsch used the old American 3-ply shell construction until 1958 when they were supplied the 6-ply shells by the Jasper Wood Products Company in Jasper, Indiana. Jasper was known as a respected furniture business in a town of 10,000 that was mostly German immigrants and it makes sense that would have been an attractive aspect to Mr. Gretsch in Brooklyn, N.Y.
    The famous 6-ply Jasper maple shells (maple, gum, maple, gum, gum, maple) were constructed of Amercan sugar maple from Wisconsin and Michigan and utilized until 2003 when Jasper Wood Products closed shop.

If Pearl supplied anything to Gretsch, it was for something other than the Gretsch USA Customs - or Pearl owned the Jasper Wood Products Company - not a believable option that the German-American culture would tolerate in 1958.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Nope, not for USA customs agreed - but for other lines in the past. Although they could if they wanted, Pearl has contributed a lot to percussion(like making the seamless acrylic shells around the time of the "phenolic" type). It's good to be a little independent now.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Not for the Gretsch USA Customs............Don't know where you got that.
    Gretsch used the old American 3-ply shell construction until 1958 when they were supplied the 6-ply shells by the Jasper Wood Products Company in Jasper, Indiana. Jasper was known as a respected furniture business in a town of 10,000 that was mostly German immigrants and it makes sense that would have been an attractive aspect to Mr. Gretsch in Brooklyn, N.Y.
    The famous 6-ply Jasper maple shells (maple, gum, maple, gum, gum, maple) were constructed of Amercan sugar maple from Wisconsin and Michigan and utilized until 2003 when Jasper Wood Products closed shop.

If Pearl supplied anything to Gretsch, it was for something other than the Gretsch USA Customs - or Pearl owned the Jasper Wood Products Company - not a believable option that the German-American culture would tolerate in 1958.
    Just an aside...Jasper provided wood for Gretsch's guitar operation as well.

Pearl started off as Hoshino and produced MIJ drums under scores of different brands.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 06-20-2013 at 04:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    WOW, just go with it bro.. that is a beautiful kit and I have never heard one complaint about a Masters kit, it's a can't miss.
    Hey kelly -- as you know we get to open for 38 Special soon.
    Their drummer (Gary Moffatt) endorses Pearl and plays BMP Masters -- I'm sure they will sound awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Jap drums
    Oh come on man....Really?? We gotta go there with this racist crap? If it's too much to spell out Japanese, use MIJ, JPN but lay off the Jap abbreviation. It really pisses me off!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Pearl started off as Hoshino
    Hoshino Gakki, that's Tama, right? Do Pearl and Tama originate from the same operation?

Sven
    '13 Mapex Saturn (pre-Saturn IV)
    Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian K and Zultan Caz cymbals
    Shure, Oktava and Telefunken USA microphones

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Jumping Ship

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Oh come on man....Really?? We gotta go there with this racist crap? If it's too much to spell out Japanese, use MIJ, JPN but lay off the Jap abbreviation. It really pisses me off!!
    I hear you Rich, you tell him off he deserves it. kay-gee has been around awhile to know that is a nono especially around you. You would think he would at least apologize.That Bahamian air will do that to a person.

No, Rich I am not back just visiting once and while and see if anything changes around here. I may throw in a word or two here and there but that's about it. Don't realy miss it I feel better since I left this site no more wondering about who I offend or who offends me. Take care buddy.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-20-2013 at 07:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry Late8. I apologize profusely. It was a slip on my part and believe me...no malice or offense was meant. In the old days we used the word to describe instruments and cars etc... from Japan.

all the best...