Thread: using kick mics for flr toms

User Info Menu

Default using kick mics for flr toms

just wondering is anyone on the forum using a kick mic to mic the floor tom and what you have experienced when doing this ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: using kick mics for flr toms

only one i've ever used has been a d-6... and it sounds fine, but i did end up rolling off some of the bottom cuz it can introduce a little extra boom. i know the d 6 has a fairly generous eq curve built into it, maybe a different mic with a flatter response would be a better choice. bottom end is always relative but it seems like any time i've tried to introduce much below 80hz on anything other than the kick it starts to get a little mushy and starts losing some definition. give it a go ! just keep the high pass filter at the ready!

User Info Menu

I had a matching CAD 7 set of mics and used the "bass drum" one for the floor toms with my Pearls since I used my Shure Beta 52 for my bass drum. No issues at all.

If you experiment, let us know what you think.

Good question, BTW.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I used a Beta 52 on my 16 once in the studio. Didn't notice any difference with my ear and only a slight difference on the grid in Pro Tools.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I use an AKGD112 on my 14" ft, sounds great. Captures the low end really well and mimics a 16"...almost. Much nicer sounding than a Sennheiser e604 on the floor tom.

Try it out, you just might like it. I have a couple videos up in the video forum if you want to hear an example, though the songs I have up might not give you the best impressions since the drums are mixed with a track.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Having a bass drum mic on a floor tom doesn't make that much of a difference. I think most people that say "yeah, sounds great!" are just having a self-fulfilling prophesy. They WANT it to sound fantastic and convince themselves it does. The frequencies that a bass mic will pick up over a tom mic are hardly (if at all) noticeable by ear.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Having a bass drum mic on a floor tom doesn't make that much of a difference. I think most people that say "yeah, sounds great!" are just having a self-fulfilling prophesy. They WANT it to sound fantastic and convince themselves it does. The frequencies that a bass mic will pick up over a tom mic are hardly (if at all) noticeable by ear.
    I wouldn't do this if it didn't make a difference over using the Sennheiser e604, as I mentioned I tried both and the AKGD112 produced a better raw sound than the e604. I try to get the best raw sound before adding any EQ so that I can achieve the best natural sound possible.

If it's all in my head, well then at least I can use 2 kick mics to mic by bass drum if I needed to.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

i trigger my kick so my cad 7 is on my large floor tom. sounds great.

User Info Menu

Mate at uni used a D-112 on a floor tom in some electronic music. Never heard his stuff but he raved about the massive sound he got for the next week.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

ok so after a few experiments i found i ended up cutting out most of the low end to tighten up the tracks ...and lets face it most of the sound comes from good over head positioning

sm57 are still the king in my studio

User Info Menu

"and lets face it most of the sound comes from good over head positioning"

i will second that.... most people don't believe me when i try to tell them that