Thread: pdp american vintage review

User Info Menu

Default pdp american vintage review

Hey there drum world! I was thinking about purchasing a new set of pdp american vintage drums, but not sure if worth it or not. I like the idea of a vintage drum sound, but with modern touches. Anyway, let me know what you think.

User Info Menu

Default Re: pdp american vintage review

Maple/mahogany will give a lot of a vintage vibe, but it will be a little more focused rather than open in the sustain department. Considering they are intended as a less expensive alternative to DW Classics, i'd say they're a great deal for anyone lusting after the Classics.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The PDP American Vintage kits are excellent. The shells are Mahogany / Poplar / Mahogany with 10 ply Maple reinforcement rings. I played one at my local drum shop and was very impressed with the sound. I'd love to own one. I felt the $1,100.00 price tag for the 3 drums was a bit steep though. I'm keeping my eye on them to see if the price drops.

User Info Menu

When it's all said and done and you take into account the different playing environments, head selections and tuning variations, do you really notice any significant tonal difference making it mandatory to focus on one unique wood combination when selecting a new drum set?

Even in my basement, where the acoustics were the same for every different kit I took in there to study, most differences were so minute if I didn't have them side by side it wasn't obviously noticeable that there was that big a difference in tones.

Other than the physical impact of feeling the drum impact on your body, the tonal qualities could all be mimicked rather easily.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I tend to agree with Bish. What I have found, and I have much less experience than Bish buying and selling kits, is that shell thickness and drum hardware (plus heads and tuning) seem to have a noticeable impact with how a drum sounds. Die cast hoops definitely make a drum sound different than triple flanged.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

^ I second what he just said.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8