Thread: Aquarian Cymbal Spring

User Info Menu

Default Aquarian Cymbal Spring

Aquarian Cymbal Spring... I thinking of purchasing the Aquarian Cymbal Spring for my china. is it good or is it a fail?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Cymbal Spring

I've been using one on my china for 7 years. I love it. Will buy again.

User Info Menu

I used to use them on my e-cymbals........never used them on acoustic cymbals. The only thing I didn't like was the way they mounted. Seems like there could be a better way

User Info Menu

I have one, but I took it off my china because I didnt like the way it flopped, but I use it on my stack and it works great!

User Info Menu

I use one for my china... works great...it's the yellow one... the more rigid one out of the two...

Here is a post from a while ago from PerryGoRound about mounting it...

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=24

I did something similar by using a coupling nut (google it). Got one that fit my cymbal stand thread, then got another bolt to screw in to the coupler and then mounted the cymbal spring on that. Was able to really crank down on it and didn't care if the threads got damaged.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFreeDrum View Post
    Aquarian Cymbal Spring... I thinking of purchasing the Aquarian Cymbal Spring for my china. is it good or is it a fail?
    The springs are great for chinas but as LG said, the mounting of the springs on existing threads of a cymbal tilter can be a little dicey if you don't modify the tilter. I would use a threaded collared sleeve to protect the threads. Here's where the problem lies in my opinion. The Aquarian Springs can be used on practically any stand but the attachment point is generally over the threads on the cymbal tilter.

I think there's a member on DC who has modified their cymbal stands to accommodate the mounting of the springs. I took the liberty of modifying an existing product to demonstrate what the mod could look like.

It appears to be an item you can find at any hardware store? The only challenge in my opinion would be matching up the NTP (National Thread Pitch) of the threaded cymbal tilter to accommodate the protective sleeve.

There are plenty of drummers who've used the Aquarian Springs without any damage to the existing threads on the tilter but as a former mechanics porter, I was taught to never to attach things that has a threaded surface.

If I were to use this product, I'd take it a step further and mod the tilter with a sleeve to be able to protect it so the stand can be used without any threat to the threads on the tilter. It could end up looking something like this:

User Info Menu

FWIW....one of the Sales Managers that I've dealt with for over 22 years at Zildjian vehemently told me: DO NOT USE THOSE CYMBAL SPRINGS!!!

I used them for a while before that and broke a lot of cymbals using them. Once I quit using them....I didn't break as many.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I have them on all of my cymbals. The yellow one is for all china's and any cymbal over 16" The red ones are for all cymbals 16" and smaller. On the tightening screw on the threads issue. I have been using them for years and as long as there is no movement at the point of contact, which there never is, there is zero evidence of damage. And even if there would be any, it's at the bottom end of your threads which you'll never have to use anyway. On the flopping issue you just have to get used to the speed of the movement back and forth. It comes back at the same speed. As far as the cymbal breakage issue, the springs are supposed to prevent this from happening. So what has been said is completely opposite of what I've heard on all the reviews that I've read. I think their great. No more wing nuts, felts, sleeves, and washers to worry about losing at a gig.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I had the my china on the red one but it flopped around a lot so I went and got the yellow one which is a big improvement I think. I love it though, hopefully my china's will last a lot longer now.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

I use it on my 18" A Custom China and it performs perfectly. I use the yellow one and like the others, I also feel that the way it is mounted leaves a bit to be desired, but it definitely works. It really opened up the sound of my cymbal too.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

When I work as a drum tech with DamageDrummer, the Aquarian Springs only advantage to a quicker set up in my opinion is there's no felt washer to loose during set up and tear down. You still need to remove the top rubber washer on the Aquarian Spring in order to remove the cymbal from the stand if you transport cymbals and stands separately. According to Damage, he was cracking cymbals when he was using standard wingnuts with felt washers. He fully endorses the Aquarian Springs.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Aquarian Cymbal Spring

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFreeDrum View Post
    TONY...
    I HAVE BEEN AN ENDORSER FOR AQUARIAN FOR MANY YEARS...
    I LOVE THEIR PRODUCTS (& ROY BURNS GOD BLESS HIM) !!!!

I WAS INTRODUCED TO AQUARIAN CYMBAL SPRINGS
    BY ROD ROD MORGANSTEIN( DIXIE DREGS)
    DURING THEIR EARLY '80'S TOUR FOR "UNSUNG HEROS"
    I USE THEM FOR ALL MY CYMBALS TO THIS DAY,,,
    NO KEY HOLING NO FLOPPING AROUND....I ALWAYS HAVE A COUPLE
    EXTRAS IN MY STICK BAG ( JUST IN CASE)...

50 YEARS OF DRUMMING HAVE TAUGHT ME MANY THINGS,,,
    "AQUARIAN HEADS (TOMS & SNARES "COATED SUPER II'S)
    BASS DRUM BATTERS (SUPERKICK I & II'S..)
    AQUARIAN CYMBALS SPRINGS (FOR RIDES & CRASHES)
    HECK I EVEN CARRY A PAIR OF NYLON
    AQUARIAN STUDENT MODEL DRUMSTICKS THAT I USED 6 NIGHTS
    A WEEK (SOMETIMES 18 HRS A DAY) IN NEW ORLEANS,,,
    THAT ROY DOESNT EVEN REMEMBER MAKING!!!!
    (HIS VP REMINDED HIM THEY STOPPED MAKING 'EM
    COS THEY DONT BREAK,,& THEY'D LOSE $$$ COS OF IT!!!)

AS AN HONOR ROY MOONED ME IN FRONT OF 3000 PEOPLE
    @ PASIC 1995 HERE IN PHX AZ,,,
    I CHOSE AQUARIAN FOEVERMORE,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I played a gig on someone else's kit a few weeks ago & he used the springs. I hated the way the cymbals flopped & rolled around...it just seemed unnatural. Watching him play, I think he used them b/c of the way he played--he pushed the sticks into the cymbal rather than a "downward, sweeping motion". I'm guessing he would break a lot of cymbals if he didn't use them.

On a china--which is usually held tight to a stand so it can't move--the spring would def be better for the cymbal, so the cymbal's not taking all of the stress of the strike. Like I said, tho, use the heavier one or it's gonna flop all over the place.

That's just my generally untested theory based on using someone else's equipment for about an hour.
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare