Thread: airports are fun.......not.

User Info Menu

Default airports are fun.......not.

stuck in sydney airport for 4 hours on the way to cairns. thank god for bars!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Default Re: airports are fun.......not.

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    stuck in sydney airport for 4 hours on the way to cairns. thank god for bars!!

I've gone through that a few times and agree with you 100% on the bars.

Was in a plane that dropped several thousand feet due to turbulence. Didn't have any drinks before, but had several after.

Had to circle about 80 miles off Houstons Hobby airport due to heavy thunderstorms over Houston for about a hour and a half, nothing to do except have a couple of drinks. I asked the stewardess if the plane had enough gas to keep flying in circles for over a hour. She told me it wasn't a problem, but found out later that it was. Finally landed and had to grab a shuttle to DFW. Had a couple of more toddys on the flight, so by the time I got to Dallas, while not actually drunk, was probably as close as you could get to it and still walk straight.

User Info Menu

I passed out before a landing once. Never felt a thing
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ugh. I travel a lot for business. Always have. I have some horror stories in airports and airplanes. From 12 hour delays and stuck at the gate, to an emergency landing due to a complete hydraulic failure. It's not a great life, but it's my life.

Tex

User Info Menu

Stuck in Ohare for 6 hours during return trip from Cancun late in evening along with everyone else. No place to sit or lay down. SRO.

Don't recall cause.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Had an aborted landing at LGA once. The landing strip that's halfway out in the water. That was kinda cool.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have never known anyone that can't tell me about at least one thing that was completely out of the norm while flying. I know I have plenty of stories while flying back and forth from Cali to Minn.

June 2006, I was doing some work in Illinois and had to catch a flight out to San Francisco. The only flight I could find was through Delta and had to layover in Atlanta. I was on kind of a time schedule and thought I could still make my appointment. Flew into ATL and wouldn't you know it, there was some huge storm that was coming up out of the Gulf. Plane bouncing all over the place and someone threw up from all the turbulence. That's always such a wonderful thing to hear when you're kind of feeling a bit nauseous yourself. We landed, I deboarded only to find out that all flights in and out were cancelled until the storm passed. I knew I wasn't going to make my appointment, so had to do everything via Skype. Of course my laptop battery started dying on me and couldn't find an outlet save my life. :::sigh ::: Since I still had a few days to kill, I figured I'd just continue my journey out to San Fran anyway. 12 hours later, caught another flight out which I thought would fly straight into San Fran. The airline decided for some reason only known to them, to stop in Sacramento and have everyone deboard and catch another flight to San Fran. Another 6 hours goes by, I'm ready to fall asleep standing up, we finally board. Quick flight out to San Fran, which is always an adventure landing because you feel like you're gonna land in the ocean. Somehow, I made it to my hotel but by then I was so sleepy I just didn't care. The only good thing that came out of that whole trip was I met my wife.

I've had numerous fun experiences flying back and forth from MN to CA, especially when the halfway point is in Denver, CO. Coming in over the mountains always makes for a nice roller coaster type of ride. Taking off out of Denver is fun too. You never know if you're actually going to clear the mountains that the plane flys directly at on take off.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 06-23-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

What? Spess-O.....you were in Sydney for a few hours? No way! Mind you, been next to impossible to catch me most weekends with my work and rehearsal routine.

Next time you're around this way, giz a hoy, will ya? Cheers man!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've flown back and forth between San Jose and LA more times than I can even remember. I've also flown to Maui, Portland, Seattle, and Orlando, and nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened to me on the flight or at the airport. Unless you count being held up for 20 min at security because I forgot to take my cell phone out of my pocket...

In August I have a 20 hour flight to Manila with layovers in Honolulu and Guam. That'll be the longest flight I've ever taken by far...we'll see what happens.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I have never known anyone that can't tell me about at least one thing that was completely out of the norm while flying.
    I haven't. At least nothing completely out of the ordinary. But then again I've only ever flown twice, from Wellington to Auckland and from Auckland to Wellington. But I guess since it is always ridiculously windy in Wellington, landing sideways is a common thing here
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Ugh. I travel a lot for business. Always have. I have some horror stories in airports and airplanes. From 12 hour delays and stuck at the gate, to an emergency landing due to a complete hydraulic failure. It's not a great life, but it's my life.

Tex
    Yep, I can relate Tex.

I ended up staying an extra night in Beijing due to a maintenance issue a few weeks back. Not the 1st time having to stay overnight somewhere, but the reason why I had to stay another night is what got me. This also caused me to miss being home in time for Mothersday. The strangest part of the situation was that the maintenance issue didn't cause the extra day layover, it was caused by the flight crew allowing people to leave the plane for a 40 to 50 minute maintanance fix. I've been delayed before due to maintenace issues, but I never had a flight attendant announce a 40 to 50 minute delay and then immediately tell everyone that they were free to get off of the plane and roam around an Airport. By the way, this was a completely full, Boeing 747-400 with a maximum capacity of 379 passengers. I first thought, well if they're letting people off, then they're not telling us everything. However, 20 minutes later, the flight attendant came over the intercom and stated that the problem was fixed and they were going to try getting everyone back on the plane. Umm...yeah. Anyway, there was a couple that were sitting behind my that got off the plane and decided to not come back. However, due to the fact that they left untagged items in the overhead compartments, we couldn't leave. So, not only we couldn't leave, but we were in China and now there was an immigration issue to top things off. We had to go backwards through the Beijing airport and immigration which took most of the day. There's more to this fiasco with hotels, shuttle buses and vaugue information regarding the flight home the following day, but I probably lost most people at this point by now. Regardless, it was by far the most bizzare/frustrating airport experience that I've had over the years.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Speaking of airports, our singer's going to be flying to Russia for a month, she's competing in an international singing comp, plus getting to catch up with family in a few parts of that vast country. God knows how long she'll be on the plane, glad it's not me!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I have never known anyone that can't tell me about at least one thing that was completely out of the norm while flying. I know I have plenty of stories while flying back and forth from Cali to Minn.
    Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I haven't. At least nothing completely out of the ordinary. But then again I've only ever flown twice, from Wellington to Auckland and from Auckland to Wellington. But I guess since it is always ridiculously windy in Wellington, landing sideways is a common thing here
    Except for this guy named Zack.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!