Thread: Problem with Iron Cobras 600

User Info Menu

Default Problem with Iron Cobras 600

Hey guys, got a pair (set?) about 6 months ago, they've been grand, but in the past day or two, the right (master) pedal has kind of started catching on something on the way down, about halfway. It's like a clicking resistance. It's not very substantial, but it's enough to be annoying and throw me off.
    If feels as though it's a problem with the spring, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with it, and it still catches regardless of the tension in the spring. Slave pedal is still working fine.
    Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Problem with Iron Cobras 600

Quote Originally Posted by chikablam View Post
    Hey guys, got a pair (set?) about 6 months ago, they've been grand, but in the past day or two, the right (master) pedal has kind of started catching on something on the way down, about halfway. It's like a clicking resistance. It's not very substantial, but it's enough to be annoying and throw me off.
    If feels as though it's a problem with the spring, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with it, and it still catches regardless of the tension in the spring. Slave pedal is still working fine.
    Any suggestions?
    Not sure what model mine are but, I've noticed them doing something similar to this just the other day at band practice, it's the first time I've noticed it, but didn't have a chance to asses the problem. I've had them about 8 years now with no problems but I'll go check them out now to see what I can find.
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Animaldrums9585 View Post
    Not sure what model mine are but, I've noticed them doing something similar to this just the other day at band practice, it's the first time I've noticed it, but didn't have a chance to asses the problem. I've had them about 8 years now with no problems but I'll go check them out now to see what I can find.
    Worldwide Tama conspiracy?

I've tried switching the springs, and it's still there :/
    Also, it catches when the pedal is moving forward, once it's gone through about 45 degrees

User Info Menu

Not sure of that design myself but it could be that the part that the spring connects to at the "axle" is loose and needs to be tightened back to the beater shaft, if that makes sense.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Is the chain moving within the "sprocket" guides-does the chain slide sideways and ride up or down the sprocket edges during beater movement? Is the chain intact or does it have a loose, worn link?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Not sure of that design myself but it could be that the part that the spring connects to at the "axle" is loose and needs to be tightened back to the beater shaft, if that makes sense.
    Yeah, tried tightening and loosening it, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Is the chain moving within the "sprocket" guides-does the chain slide sideways and ride up or down the sprocket edges during beater movement? Is the chain intact or does it have a loose, worn link?
    Yeah it's staying on target, I'm not sure about the chains, nothing springs out at me, and they're still pretty new, but I'll try swapping the chains between the master and slave pedals

At this stage it's one of the few things I haven't taken apart

User Info Menu

If your pedals are only 6 months old, I'd definitely bring this to Tama's attention. I don't know what the warranty is on the 600 model, but if it's under warranty you should contact them right away.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Check to make sure the thing the beater slides into next to the cam isn't loose on the hex bar thingy (I can't remember the terminology).
    - Zack

User Info Menu

check the part where the spring is attached. in this pic it is the part with the hex nut in the center above the phillips screw ~

User Info Menu

So I've been tinkering with it all day, and after a few reassemblies, it's now working fine again. The only problem is, I'm not sure exactly what I did :/
    I suspect something had slipped out place, or wasn't sufficiently tightened.
    Cheers for the help

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    check the part where the spring is attached. in this pic it is the part with the hex nut in the center above the phillips screw ~

Quote Originally Posted by chikablam View Post
    So I've been tinkering with it all day, and after a few reassemblies, it's now working fine again. The only problem is, I'm not sure exactly what I did :/
    I suspect something had slipped out place, or wasn't sufficiently tightened.
    Cheers for the help
    Good news...............and welcome to the both of you

User Info Menu

+1 ^^^^^
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Change the springs and if that doesn't work report it to Tama it can't be found on their site but here's the link to it. http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/contact/de...RY_ID=5&area=3