Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used kits online.

User Info Menu

Default Used kits online.

I know i'm not the only one to have scored a wicked deal for a kit or cymbals used online or on a local classifieds site. I'm thankful for people like that.

But is it just me and where I live or does everywhere have people selling beginner kits with with cheap brass cymbals, or just low end bronze for ridiculous prices. Once I seen someone trying to sell what was 2 of Pearl's lowest end exports put together with cheap hats, 2 brass cymbals and a splash for $2000. The same guy also had an ad for a "replica animal kit from the muppets" when it was just a cheap westburry kit with an animal bassdrum head. He had it for $1500 FIRM... I had sold the same Westburry kit for about a year ago for $250. It just grinds my gears when I see people with these outrageous prices on stuff, either they don't know better or they're really trying to scam.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Used kits online.

Quote Originally Posted by NedgarAllanPoe View Post
    either they don't know better or they're really trying to scam.
    I'd say the latter....................trying to make a quick buck

User Info Menu

I see this all the time in the Austin CL... $500 kits (new) with B8 cymbals, asking like $1200~$1500, and the ad claiming they paid $1800 new, and that they still have the receipt...
    I just want to send them an email to say if that's true, then they got robbed.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NedgarAllanPoe View Post
    ...either they don't know better or they're really trying to scam.
    Definitely the latter. They know what it really & are just trying to snag someone who has heard of the brand name but doesn't know exactly what they're looking at.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I've emailed the dude with the ridiculous ads saying something like "I have some expensive drum gear, can you please explain what makes this kit worth $2000?" and all he did was reply saying "f--k u if ur not interested" Then I just told him how outrageous and unfair the ads were and how his "animal replica" was a load of bull!

User Info Menu

The was a Black Beauty on the bay that the guy was asking $3,000 for about a year and a half ago.

You always ask a bit high when you are the seller as it gives some bargaining room to both parties, but some of the prices I've seen are way, way, out of line with what the thing is worth.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 06-28-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: ==

User Info Menu

I'm thinking that all they want to do is show off what they have, and IF somebody wants it bad enough, then they make some cash. I don't even waste my time or theirs calling on over priced stuff.

User Info Menu

i just found another 5 piece Pearl ELX kit with 2 cheap Zildjian ZBT crashes...guy is asking $1200...claiming he paid $2000 for it.... good for him getting ripped off

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlipDWfan4lyfe View Post
    i just found another 5 piece Pearl ELX kit with 2 cheap Zildjian ZBT crashes...guy is asking $1200...claiming he paid $2000 for it.... good for him getting ripped off
    I saw almost the same ad on Craiglist, except it was for a Pearl Export series, with ZBT HH, crash and ride. Asking price was something like $3500. I emailed the seller out of curiousity. His response? It's a nice set of drums and they are Ziljeen Symbols(his spelling, not mine) and you should see them! This is a steal!

I sent him a couple links from Guitar Center. Needless to say, I didn't receive a response.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

One that i just saw that made me burst out laughing was a 6 piece kit...but it wasnt a 6 piece in the way that you would think of a 6 piece

2 toms
    1 snare drum
    1 kick drum = 4 pieces

1 hi hat stand
    1 cymbal stand = 2 pieces

4 + 2 = 6

User Info Menu

One that i just saw that made me burst out laughing was a 6 piece kit...but it wasnt a 6 piece in the way that you would think of a 6 piece

2 toms
    1 snare drum
    1 kick drum = 4 pieces

1 hi hat stand

4 + 2 = 6
    Good thing he wasn't throwing in a pair of sticks. Then it would have been an 8 piece kit. Must be that new math.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Well this is sort of relieving that it's not only people around here that think they can get away with it, but it's also a little disheartening that there are people everywhere that post outrageous prices that make no sense at all.

And Rick, I agree when I sold my old westburry I put it up for around $350 at first and then ended up selling for $250. I'm happy with that since I got a few years out of it.

User Info Menu

"Caviat Emptor"" Let the buyer beware!

There are lots of rip-offs but sometimes the seller just isn't a drum person. I know of a few instances of my own. Someone was advertising a set of Remo drums. The drums had no badges so the Remo logos on the batter heads were the only identifying marks.

One time I went to see some "Ludwig" drums being offered at ridiculous low price. Turns out they were total el crappo drums that someone had put a Ludwig logo reso on the bass drum.

In these cases it was more ignorance of drum stuff than an attempt to rip off.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Post an ad exposing the attempted rip off in the same forum where the ad is posted.

Larrysperf Guest

That's nothing I have a cow bell Im selling for 1000.00 bucks its sweet even have some cow dung to go with it lol
    First offer gets it Hey Rick needs a cow bell lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    That's nothing I have a cow bell Im selling for 1000.00 bucks its sweet even have some cow dung to go with it lol
    First offer gets it
    What color? Does it come with it's own stick?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yes it does. Signed by Neil Peart himself. Well, actually, it's a printed signature. But I'll throw it in for an additional $100 because it's slightly used.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Bish, were you referring to the cowbell, or the cow dung?

All this is pretty common right now. I didn't see it nearly as much when the economy was good, but when it tanked people got desperate. At first, people sold stuff cheap just to stay afloat, but that changed to overpricing stuff. Then the number of scammers shot up. They're just looking for a sucker.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Yes it does. Signed by Neil Peart himself. Well, actually, it's a printed signature. But I'll throw it in for an additional $100 because it's slightly used.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Bish, were you referring to the cowbell, or the cow dung?

All this is pretty common right now. I didn't see it nearly as much when the economy was good, but when it tanked people got desperate. At first, people sold stuff cheap just to stay afloat, but that changed to overpricing stuff. Then the number of scammers shot up. They're just looking for a sucker.
    I appreciate your quick responses. Unfortunately I have found one cheaper on another website so I think I'm going to purchase mine elsewhere. Have a good day, suckers.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I gave away some great deals on my local CL and I was impressed at the knowledge the buyers already had about the kits I was selling. My take on the over-inflated prices found is greed. I went into selling my stuff knowing I'd be lucky to recoup even 1/2 of what I paid into it which never happened. I wanted my items to move quickly. The longer the kits sat in my closet served me no purpose but take up valuable space.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I gave away some great deals on my local CL and I was impressed at the knowledge the buyers already had about the kits I was selling. My take on the over-inflated prices found is greed. I went into selling my stuff knowing I'd be lucky to recoup even 1/2 of what I paid into it which never happened. I wanted my items to move quickly. The longer the kits sat in my closet served me no purpose but take up valuable space.
    Yes, but there is a difference, Rich. You're a nice guy. Honest too. You're one of the nicest human beings I have ever met. I consider the people that you sold your gear to to be some very lucky and fortunate individuals.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Yes, but there is a difference, Rich. You're a nice guy. Honest too. You're one of the nicest human beings I have ever met. I consider the people that you sold your gear to to be some very lucky and fortunate individuals.
    Thanks Mark. That's very kind of you to say....

User Info Menu

I think it's probably 10% of these ads the seller is actually clueless as to what the components are worth, or it's a dad selling off the kit he bought for his kid that isn't interested anymore and he doesn't know what things are worth. But for the most part I think most of these ads are unscrupulous rip-off artists trying to take advantage of people that don't know any better. I always call them out on their claims and threaten to report them. Usually they take the auction down. Sometimes they get reported. There is enough crime out there in the world. We don't need it to be on Craigs list and E-Bay as well.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Most people are selling something they are stuck with..or got handed to them in there lap..I can just hear it now.." dude you can get a whole lot of dough for your kit..I saw one online that looked just like yours for $2.000.00!" right? when I sell something online I do my research start with a decent price and let the others bid as they see fit.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

2 toms
    1 snare drum
    1 kick drum = 4 pieces

1 hi hat stand

4 + 2 = 6
    Yep, I see that on Gumtree out here a lot. One even said 9 piece which turned out to be:

3 toms
    1 snare drum
    1 bass drum
    then...
    1 hi-hat stand + generic hi-hat cymbals
    1 crash/ride + stand
    then...
    1 cowbell attached to a clamp (kept separately)
    1 drum stool!

5+2+2=9

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8