Thread: Gretsch Catalina Jazz vs. PDP Concept CM4

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Catalina Jazz vs. PDP Concept CM4

Am needing a small, lightweight kit to use playing semi-acoustic gigs, smaller venues, etc. My main set is a '86 Pearl MLX Masters, 5 piece and a bit too much for what I'm playing now.

Question is, anyone have experience with either the Gretsch Catalina Jazz or the PDP Concept CM4? I realize the Gretsch has mahogany shells vs. maple for the PDP, thus completely different sonic attributes - am mainly interested in quality, sound for the size, etc.

The Gretsch kit consists of a 14X18 BD, 8X12 RT, 14X14 FT and a 14X 5 snare.

The PDP consists of a 16X20 BD, 9X12 RT, 12X14 or 14X16 FT and a 14X5.5 snare.

Comments, experiences?
    TIA
    Bill

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Jazz vs. PDP Concept CM4

I have a Gretsch Cat Club Jazz kit and a pdp X7, which is the predecessor of the Concept series (some changes were made, but I think it's probably close enough for me to be able to give you an informed opinion in comparison to the Gretsch kit). They really are applies and oranges -- which is exactly why I wanted them both. The Gretsch kit is great for jazz and a vintage rock sound. The pdp is a great rock kit. When I move from playing the Gretsch kit (which I tune high and open) to the pdp kit (a more EQ'd sound, even with G2-over-G1 heads), the difference is night and day.

I will say that hardware on the pdp kit is pretty lousy. Maybe they've improved it with the Concept series, but if not, the tom mounts tend to deform and begin to flare out, pushing on the tension rods. (I started a thread about this a while back, maybe last summer, if you want to research that issue more.)

I haven't had the Gretsch kit long enough to form an opinion about the hardware. The rack tom mount attaches to the tension rods, which would seem in theory to create tuning problems, but I personally can't hear the difference it makes (comparing the tom held or mounted), so maybe they've figured out the secret recipe.

Lots of people complain about the snare as the weak link of the Gretsch kit, but I think it has a great vintage-trashy sound. I used to have a Roland e-kit that had a "Vintage" kit setting with this same snare sound. I came to love it, and this is the "real" version of that sound! But I doubt it would work very well for "modern" rock.

I've never owned the X7 snare, but I heard it was weak.

Was any of that useful?
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

BackStreetDrums Guest

I would seriously look at the SONOR Bop set...less than $500...excellent sound even with the factory heads (remo), but changing them improves an already good sound.

http://sonorusa.com/sonorblog/drums/...ets/sonor-bop/

User Info Menu

Between those, the Concept gets my vote. For one thing you get maple, which smokes luan(the thing companies call "Phillippine mahogany") shells. If they were the actual mahogany which Keller produces it would be a much different story however. Those are very nice shells with a controlled sustain, and a dark tone. Tough to finish, but a lovely shell in it's natural form.
    Last edited by Russ; 07-06-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I would look in to Sonor Force and Mapex Meridians as well. I just got a 5 piece Mapex Meridian Maple 20/10/12/14/14 for just a little more than the Cat Jazz costs. Having played both, at least to my ear, the Mapex sounds much better.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle