Thread: Speed and Metronome

User Info Menu

Default Speed and Metronome

Hello everyone. Quick question for you. I am currently working out of the New Breed book. My teacher has assigned me a couple of pages and has asked that I read the snare line as the bass drum line and to practice at 63 bpm (I'm still a beginner-ish). I tried working through the pages last night with the metronome and it feels too fast. So, do I struggle through (I have two weeks to work on this) or do I slow the metronome down to a comfortable speed and slowly increase it, hoping I have it up to speed by my next lesson? I know 63 bpm seems ridiculously slow to most of you, but to me, those particular pages have a whole lotta notes going on for my little foot!

Thanks!
    Dany

User Info Menu

Default Re: Speed and Metronome

I would slow down the tempo to a comfortable pace...when you've gotten good at that tempo, slowly bump it up and keep repeating the process until you are at the level your teacher expects.

Be patient.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Ditto what EddieV says
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

+1 on what the other guys said. Practice slow until you are comfortable and keep practicing at the slow speed. This will build muscle memory. Then speed up a little, like maybe 2-3BPM. Repeat. Speed up again. Repeat.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys. I had a feeling that's what I needed to do. I think I'm capable of playing the notes at that speed, it's trying to read fast enough. Some of the notes are new to me and my brain needs time to process what I'm looking at. Plus, on two particular pages, the notes look all crammed together, which doesn't help. I will slow it way down, and if it isn't at the speed he requested by my next lesson he probably won't beat me with a drum stick or anything, right?

User Info Menu

So long as you're as accurate as what you can get at a slow speed first, then you can build on the speed. same thing with reading notes. I empathise with you because whilst I have the drumset reading skill down fairly well, melodic percussion lines are a whole different ball game....I'm still a student in that area and will be until I'm old and grey, lol. A good teacher should be wise enough to know that everyone learns at their own pace. Best of luck with your practice and studies.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Ok, slowed it WAY down. Increasing incrementally at 3 bpm a day. Working out great so far! I should be at the speed he requested no problem by the time I have my next lesson. Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

You've already got your answer, but slow and correct is WAY better than fast and inaccurate. Speed comes with time, strive for accuracy.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Started out at 46 bpm. Have slowly been working my way up. I'm up to 59 bpm with two days to go to reach 63 bpm as requested. I'm very proud of myself for working through this and knowing it's accurate. My reading speed has increased, my foot is getting stronger and I can FEEL when I hit something incorrectly. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danydew View Post
    Started out at 46 bpm. Have slowly been working my way up. I'm up to 59 bpm with two days to go to reach 63 bpm as requested. I'm very proud of myself for working through this and knowing it's accurate. My reading speed has increased, my foot is getting stronger and I can FEEL when I hit something incorrectly. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    Congrats..................patience and dedication will take you a long way. Keep it up.