Thread: Are the tom holder things universal?

Shazane Guest

Default Are the tom holder things universal?

Meaning I could buy toms of a different brand than the bass and would have no compatibility problems?

User Info Menu

No. There are very few, if any, that are interchangable. You could always buy some type of "rim mount" and possibly use those with the set up you are wanting.
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Yeah the only thing I can think of is that I saw a Gilbralter rim mount system once. If you converted all the rack toms to a single system, then it could work.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

most will either have a pearl style tube arm or a tama/dw type L rod type mount. and even then they are usually different sizes and not interchangable.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's a size issue more than anything, either the size of the mouting arm, or the hole on the tom that it attaches to could easily be different depending on the manufacturers.

That being said though, if you had the measurements and you knew they were the same, then I wouldn't think there would be a big problem that way, although any position locking mechanisims might not work, but you might be able to swap them around to.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

Shazane Guest

Well that really sucks, they should just make them a universal size, give drummers alot more option...

User Info Menu

Yeah, but if I was a drum maker, and I did that, I couldn't convince you that my mounting system was better than everyone else's. It's all about marketing, and we end up losing!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

here here pastor bob.
    they definitely aren't and as funkymcstain said before there are 2 styles. i myself have 3 toms by yamaha so rod mount. and 1 by tama so l-bar mount
    caution drummer may bite