Thread: Does anyone record their Gigs and what equipment do you use to record with?

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone record their Gigs and what equipment do you use to record with?

I use a M-Audio Micro Track Portable Digital Recorder with the Sound Professional Micro-Track Interface Power Microphone made specificly for the Micro Track. You can also record from the mixing board. Haven't tried that yet and don't have a reason to at this time. Uses a flash cards 64 up to 4G. Small, size of a digital camera, portable and no hiss on recording, or distortion at live performances. I'm a very happy camper. I have a cable that I can hook up to my car stereo and lisen to our gig on my way home. Put the Flash Card into my Card reader in my DVD player at home. To play on my (Bose) surround sound or download the music onto my computer and burn a CD. This little machine was heaven sent. I just needed the right mic. The original mic that comes with it can't handle loud music. Recorder cost around $350 and the mic. from Sound Professionals cost $100. Happy Recording to all.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the info Timer! I'm going to have to check into that. The only time we've recorded any of our gigs, we had somebody else come in and do it for us. I would like to start doing it myself. That sounds like a perfect setup.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone record their Gigs and what equipment do you use to record with?

I have used a Zoom H4n for years. Reliable and very good for the low entry cost, plus you can line-in or record the room.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone record their Gigs and what equipment do you use to record with?

Yup, Zoom H4N, its setup on stage somewhere usually near a monitor, to hear the vocals....not the best sound quality due to location, but it gives you a pretty good indication of what's going on....i also use it as my in ear monitor, running a long headphone cable, and the remote control that can be purchased separately...sounds better than earplugs!

User Info Menu

I just use my smart phone not bad. Outside and inside gigs.

User Info Menu

I use Rode mics and they are excellent. We also use Logic Pro as our DAW which I found easy to learn

User Info Menu

I use the Zoom Q8 video camera, a 6 channel Behringer mixer and 5 mics plus coming straight out of one of the mixing board low level outputs, for the vocals ( we do not mic our instruments. 2 mics on the drum kit... one of them on the kick and one as an overhead that is fairly close to the snare and pointed toward the toms plus one on the bass amp and one mic pointed toward the pedal steel guitar amp and the lead guitar amp and one pointed toward the fiddle amp. Recording at 24 bit/96 hz, Video is at 1080i. The audio is absolutely CD quality and the video looks really clear. The lens is a fish-type lens and we have 4 guys up front and the camera gets all of them plus me sitting at the very back of the stage.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Nobody uses a Samsung phone? They're the best!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have used the Zoom Q2n directly from the board to the line in and the sound is great. I use a long cable so I can start and stop the recording from behind the drums in order to create smaller files.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I do. Zoom q8.

User Info Menu

Occasionally both bands with one member’s iPhone...ugh!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I used my Nikon D3200

User Info Menu

I record our band with a Zoom Q8 ... I mic the kick and use an overhead mic for the snare and toms. I mic the bass cabinet and then use three mics to pick up the lead guitar, the pedal steel guitar and the fiddle. The vocals come direct off the mixer and everything goes into my 6 channel Behringer mixer and the two main outs on the mixer go into the two Q8 mic inputs...I disable the onboard XY mics. Once I get home, I download the Q8 video files onto one of my outboard HDD drives and then do my video and audio editing with the Cyberlink 16 PowerDirector and the Cyberlink AudioDirector 8. You will find two of my video's posted in the Video's section.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!