Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i have noticed

User Info Menu

Default i have noticed

that as my skills expand the drummers i admire go down. for example tonight i learned how to play all of boxcar racers songs, i used to think travis barker was some gift from god to the drums, then i started to learn his stuff, and it never takes more than one try to get down nearly perfict, then i went to kieth moon and after a while i no longer think hes gods gift to the drum set, it seems i keep on haveing to find more and more good drummers to learn there stuff of. at the moment i have looking to grow in rock, poppunk, and funk can anyone sugjest a drummer besides ?uestlove, chad smith, or travis barker for these styles?

p.s. i have nothing against ?uestlove or chad, but i allready know rhcp stuff and dont want to do any more of it because three full albums was enugh. stupid freaking bassists who want to play like flea. darn them. but got me good at funk.

p.p.s. the drummers i have stoped looking at as gifts from god are still amazing drummers and have a big infuince in the way i play but i dont think there more than just amazing drummers at the moment
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Maybe your gods gift to the drums?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Neil Peart... LOL

I'd say start listening to stuff that is more drum focussed. In all of the genres you mentioned, the drums aren't the key part to the song, its just background noise. Although, the drummer from Godsmack is pretty good for Hard Rock etc.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Can't comment much on funk drummers - but the guys I look at and go Wow are Neil Peart, Danny Carey, Tony Royster Jnr, JoJo Mayer and Mike Mangini - they would be the main ones, so if I was gonna suggest drummers to anyone - it's those guys. Chad Smith, Travis Barker, they have got NOTHING on those guys.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

you got box car racer songs down? lol dang how long have you been playing? and i dont have any suggestions, just wanted to ask that lol.

User Info Menu

There are hundreds of "real" good drummers out there. You just need to look around a bit.

Drummers

User Info Menu

Just remember that being "God's gift to drumming" is not about how cool your individual talent is, although that is part of it. The real measure of "God's gift to drumming" is whether you can compliment the sound that the entire band is creating. It might even mean that you have to have the humility to tone down your talent for the sake of the sound. IMHO, that is the true mark of "God's gift to drumming."

Every band is different. Some are vocals driven, some are lead guitar driven, some are drummer driven, and some are even bass driven. It is up to each musician in the band to understand the make up of the band, and to let the unique personality of the band come forward. When this is done well, especially by the drummer, no one may ever know how really good you are, because you may be holding back for the sake of the band, and sound, but you are, again IMHO, truly "God's gift" if you can check your ego and do it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The real measure of "God's gift to drumming" is whether you can compliment the sound that the entire band is creating.
    Well said!

User Info Menu

funk drumming, 3 words.....TOWER OF POWER. david garibaldi is one of my favs.

User Info Menu

and i almost forgot, this may sound very weird to some of you but one of the albums that got me into funk drumming was THE BEASTIE BOYS - CHECK YOUR HEAD. mike d's breakbeat and funk drumming on that album is VERY kool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    funk drumming, 3 words.....TOWER OF POWER. david garibaldi is one of my favs.
    What Funky Said!!! Tower of Power is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Funk. If you want to go old school then some Earth Wind and Fire is in order too!!!
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

sonny emory (ewf) is pretty awesome too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    you got box car racer songs down? lol dang how long have you been playing? and i dont have any suggestions, just wanted to ask that lol.
    in november a year but i practiced 7 hours a day for six months straight.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

thanks guys i looked up some of these guys and dang man this is gonna be fun. im realy stoked to learn all this stuff now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    What Funky Said!!! Tower of Power is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Funk. If you want to go old school then some Earth Wind and Fire is in order too!!!
    Yeah, Funky and CD, Tower of Power and EW&F are two of the best in funk! Danced to EW&F all night one night, in college, for a dance-a-thon. It was for Muscular Dystrophy, as I recall (too far back now to be sure ). When you're too tired to think, all you do is feel the groove!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Funky and CD, Tower of Power and EW&F are two of the best in funk! Danced to EW&F all night one night, in college, for a dance-a-thon. It was for Muscular Dystrophy, as I recall (too far back now to be sure ). When you're too tired to think, all you do is feel the groove!
    back when you were known as "disco bob"? the back story is starting to come out a little here was it bobs life of 70s excess that led to his fututre career path. ?

User Info Menu

Could be. Although the "back story" probably started with a fall from my horse. Throwing your back out during an all night dance-a-thon is a much sexier story, so maybe we'll just go with that one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    sonny emory (ewf) is pretty awesome too.
    Yea, get the live compilation EWF album with Sonny on it. It's one of my favorite CD's. The arrangements/segways are incredible.

User Info Menu

i started playing at danney cary from this list of drummers (im not to fond of rush, niel is amazing but rush rubs me the wrong way) and i just have to say schism is a blast to play, and i cant belive i hadent herd of tower of power ive been missing out on great funk.

User Info Menu

Schism is a great song. The tribal beat for Ticks & Leeches is just amazing. The 46&2 Solo, Aenima, Lateralus, The Grudge, Opiate, Hush, the list goes on as far as Tool songs are concerned with just brilliant drumming. My least favourite is Undertow, but even then, his drumming is well above average.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Schism is a great song. The tribal beat for Ticks & Leeches is just amazing. The 46&2 Solo, Aenima, Lateralus, The Grudge, Opiate, Hush, the list goes on as far as Tool songs are concerned with just brilliant drumming. My least favourite is Undertow, but even then, his drumming is well above average.
    so far out of that list i have learnt aenima, laturus, opiate, and hush.
    also sober, and some of the other early stuff and they are all a blast man but its midnight hear so i had to stop no more tonight to loud but i feel all from this stuff i havent been so pumped to learn new songs since i heard about the new angels and airwaves cd

User Info Menu

Aww man, just because you're getting better doesn't mean those people are rubbish drummers. I used to think people doing basic beats were godly because they kept it up for so long. I still think people like Chad Smith are amazing on drums because they restrict themselves without making stuff stupidly easy.
    I hardly learn songs mainly just because I find them annoying to get down perfectly. But I understand the rush you get, and even better is when you take a beat and muck about with it, adding your own signature sound to it.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: i have noticed

Just remember that being "God's gift to drumming" is not about how cool your individual talent is, although that is part of it. The real measure of "God's gift to drumming" is whether you can compliment the sound that the entire band is creating. It might even mean that you have to have the humility to tone down your talent for the sake of the sound. IMHO, that is the true mark of "God's gift to drumming."

Every band is different. Some are vocals driven, some are lead guitar driven, some are drummer driven, and some are even bass driven. It is up to each musician in the band to understand the make up of the band, and to let the unique personality of the band come forward. When this is done well, especially by the drummer, no one may ever know how really good you are, because you may be holding back for the sake of the band, and sound, but you are, again IMHO, truly "God's gift" if you can check your ego and do it.
    HOLA como estas PASTOR_BOB CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT) EXCELLENT POINTS &EXPRESSED GREAT *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Default Re: i have noticed

Here you go, try this one for size, mr funk himself dennis chambers.
    dont hurt yourself now!!
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGsSL...eature=related

User Info Menu

Default Re: i have noticed

here is a nice sorta kinda funky tune, with a nice feel and dynamics, great to jam to this one. Plus the drummer is the ultimate punk avatar .
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8aeeSTthQ