Thread: Breaking Down the Barriers

User Info Menu

Default Breaking Down the Barriers

Since I was trained in the sciences instead of the arts, I am a logical thinker rather than a creative thinker. I have worked on learning rhythmic patterns, but I always wondered whether I would always have to copy someone else's playing, or whether I could take what I know and apply it creatively to put my own stamp on the music that I play.

Today, that question was answered. In our band rehearsal, I actually came up with some different ways to play on several of our covers of songs. I really enjoyed throwing in my own creativity, and I realized that I was beginning to interpret songs in terms of my own creativity. This was such a pivotal moment for me, that I just had to share the moment with you guys. I'm on cloud nine right now!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Breaking Down the Barriers

Congratulations! The most fun in playing music is "making" music. I also try to put my mind into our originals. At first it is just basic rhythms, but after playing it a few times, the creativity comes out and rears it's ugly head. Fills fall into place and even a stray off beat every now and then. The drummer has all the fun!
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Such wonderful moments when we have those little breakthroughs. Awesome PB!

User Info Menu

What took you so long?

You were at that place a while ago, I think you just didn't trust your ability.

User Info Menu

PB, it won't be too long before you'll be throwing in accents, unexpected rolls and displaced patterns with the best of 'em. Chuck in some stick tricks and you'll be steaming, Champion!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Such wonderful moments when we have those little breakthroughs. Awesome PB!
    + 1

Love the description as "pivotal".................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

to quote BB................when in doubt.............roll

Good feeling isn't it PB?

User Info Menu

That's great to hear pb! I'm very happy for you!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    What took you so long?

You were at that place a while ago, I think you just didn't trust your ability.
    Well, trusting in my own ability is harder than it should be, because I wasn't brought up playing music. I have been singing in school choruses, and in church choirs all my life, but that it all about singing what a score tells you to sing.

I'm growing in my abilities as a drummer, and I am stretching the creative side of my brain, but I still don't have any real confidence in my creative abilities. I know that my creative abilities are improving, but until yesterday, I was keeping my rhythms pretty simple to fit the abilities of the rest of my bandmates. The good part is that over the 2 years that we've been playing together, we've all been growing, and it is allowing us all to begin becoming more creative.

Over the past few months, I've changed little things here and there, but yesterday I made some big changes to how I was playing to different songs. I was received very well by my bandmates, and it was extremely gratifying. In my work for the church, I usually leave the creative things to others, because it just hasn't been one of my strengths. The cool part is to realize that, at least in the musical realm, it's starting to change. Recently, I noticed it in my rehearsals for singing songs on Sundays, but doing it on the kit was a huge step forward for me, because it is the instrument that I have played for the shortest time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Bob, I'll show you a fun exercise:

Sing a rhythm, like "Duh... da-dot, ta, dot, dot, dot". Then play it on the snare drum. Then play that same rhythm around the kit putting a different part in each limb, so for example the first "duh" will be on the bass drum, the second two notes on the snare and the rest on the toms or the cymbal. This will lead to a lot of new ideas.

Play that one awhile then sing a new rhythm and do it all over again. It will start to get the juices flowing.

Then, take a catchy jingle like "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, Oh, what a relieve it is".
    Play that around the kit in the same manner, using as many different combinations as possible. When you stumble across one of those that you really like, focus in on just that one and develop it. When you "develop" it, you practice it many times over and over until it becomes second nature.

This is one method out of many that can get your creativity flowing.

User Info Menu

PB, this is one of the steps in preparing for original music playing. Why do we all copy drumming parts especially when doing covers? because someone created those and they sound awesome. so there you go..anther feather in the stick bag.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Bob, I'll show you a fun exercise:

Sing a rhythm, like "Duh... da-dot, ta, dot, dot, dot". Then play it on the snare drum. Then play that same rhythm around the kit putting a different part in each limb, so for example the first "duh" will be on the bass drum, the second two notes on the snare and the rest on the toms or the cymbal. This will lead to a lot of new ideas.

Play that one awhile then sing a new rhythm and do it all over again. It will start to get the juices flowing.

Then, take a catchy jingle like "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, Oh, what a relieve it is".
    Play that around the kit in the same manner, using as many different combinations as possible. When you stumble across one of those that you really like, focus in on just that one and develop it. When you "develop" it, you practice it many times over and over until it becomes second nature.

This is one method out of many that can get your creativity flowing.
    Thanks Drummer, I'll definitely give it a go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    PB, this is one of the steps in preparing for original music playing. Why do we all copy drumming parts especially when doing covers? because someone created those and they sound awesome. so there you go..anther feather in the stick bag.
    The truth is that I just don't have the chops to do what every original drummer does. Out of necessity, I change things to a simpler form. But starting to feel like I can take the basic rhythm of a song and create a drum part from scratch that does justice to the feel of a song is pretty cool.

I know this isn't something new for most of you here, but I really wanted to post it for some drummers that come here and might be going through the things I have gone through. Ok . . . I also wanted to go, "Woo Hoo!"

User Info Menu

Congrats. It always feels good to break out of a rut and start moving forward again.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Time to start getting crazy, PB. Just do fills and rolls the entire song.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're achieving benchmarks and surpassing significant milestones as your drumming journey continues. Way to recognize those accomplishments Bob. You'll gain more confidence as time marches on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Q: What do you call it when 3 or more tallented musicians play different songs at the exact same time?

A: Jazz.

Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

What exactly does "Woo Hoo" mean. Is that Latin for whoopee?

User Info Menu

Woo hoo translated into Cali-speak = Awwwwwesome duuuuuuude. But when you say it, you have to sound like Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    What exactly does "Woo Hoo" mean. Is that Latin for whoopee?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Woo hoo translated into Cali-speak = Awwwwwesome duuuuuuude. But when you say it, you have to sound like Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
    Done that!

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Just done that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    ...............or you could be extremely creative like this guy