Thread: Car accident

User Info Menu

Default Car accident

Last Wednesday, I was in a car accident. I was the passenger in a car being driven by a good friend of mine, and within a minute and probably no more than 100 meters from departing, going up hill at no more than 45 km/ph, the car lost traction on the road somehow and hit a car parked on the side of the road. Our car rolled and ended up upside down, with a more than slightly caved in roof and lots of broken glass; both right hand windows, the front window and the back window were shattered.

Steve, my mate, and I are both fine. Other than the loss of his car, which he wasn't too cut up about because it wasn't an overly expensive car, he ended up with a grazed Elbow, and I ended up with some cuts on my elbows, hands, knees and feet, A bit of glass in me (which I was picking out gradually over the next three days) and some bruises on my chest and feet. It still hurts to breathe and raise my arms a little, but I'm fine. Because of my chest and bruised feet, however, drumming is out of the question for now.

I'm still a bit perplexed as to how it was even possible. Uphill at a relatively slow speed.. Rolled car.

I'm not questioning the competency of anyone here's driving, just as I know my friend Steve was competent. But I post this to ask that everyone please, please takes the utmost care whilst driving. I'm sure we're all aware of the risks and how to drive responsibly and properly, but I'm now more aware than ever of the fact that these things can come out of nowhere, and odds are the consequences could be far more than Steve and I got.

I'm frankly pretty happy to be alive right now and I'd hate for anyone to go through a similar experience. Minimize those chances in any way possible.

Have a good one, everybody.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Default Re: Car accident

I'm pretty sure it was aliens.

None the less, I'm glad you and your friend are ok.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Crikey Matty! Glad you're not that badly hurt.....rolling a car could have given you worse injuries to you and your mate. It happened to a friend of mine years back, Bart.....he counts his blessings due to the fact that his accident was on a rural road but co-incidentally happened right near someone's property, and that person was working not that far from the property's front gate, they then rushed to the scene and called for emergency....if it happened a little further up or down the road he wouldn't have had help straightaway....he had some pretty bad injuries (he made a good, though slow recovery) and without that help who knows if he would have survived or not.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-10-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Wow, that was strange. Still nothing known as to how it happened, like oil on the road, mechanical issue or something? Glad no one was severely hurt.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-10-2013 at 07:53 AM.

User Info Menu

glad you guys were okay. I was in a similar accident in high school. I was the passenger in this guys car a Datsun 510 and he rolled it into a parking lot. I remember it going slow the roll part and then climbing out upside down.

My only serious accident was at the corner of Hollywood and La Brea in L.A. my car 1966 Ford Falcon vs some other kinda car. She came down the hill thru the red light and smashed into us. Both cars destroyed but no one injured. I miss that car.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Glad you're ok. Take it easy for a while, get back to drumming shape.

User Info Menu

Yikes Matt! Glad to hear you're alright. Did the vehicle have a really high center of gravity, like a SUV? Very strange that it flipped over.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I'm with Bish..................had to be aliens...............glad you're okay

User Info Menu

Matt, I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse, but the whole "I'm fine" thing, given the injuries you describe, seems to mean, "I sure could have been hurt worse." Again, I'm glad you weren't, and I hope you heal quickly, because I know what your drumming means to you.

Oh, and your warning about taking our driving seriously is an important statement. Thanks for the reminder.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Be well, Matt.

User Info Menu

Yep, it's easy to just get in the car turn the key and go. But like you said, driving is a fine art not to be dealt with casually. One must reasonably expect the unexpected. Not sure any preparation could have helped you two. Any driver is at the mercy of the other and any and all obstacles therein. Cripe, you don't even have to be moving and still get hit....or how 'bout the stories about cars running into buildings and injuring people. It's al a crapshoot but a serious one at that. Glad you are O.K. Focus on getting well and not what went wrong. All you know is it happened.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Wow...wondering where you've been! Glad you're safe and in good shape. Prayers for a quick recovery!! Scary to read!! But I can't even fathom how you guys felt during and at the end of the entire ordeal.....

User Info Menu

Matt, the first thing I thought of was maybe balding tires? you hit a damp or wet spot with bald tires and off you go..glad your OK. you didn't say that you got checked out at a hospital? got to watch out for internal damage dude..keep an eye on how you progress on feeling better.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Wow, that was strange. Still nothing known as to how it happened, like oil on the road, mechanical issue or something? Glad no one was severely hurt.
    Thanks Oli. Not quite sure for certain. He has a feeling it was a problem with one of the front tires, but I guess we'll never know, the car was written off.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Matt, I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse, but the whole "I'm fine" thing, given the injuries you describe, seems to mean, "I sure could have been hurt worse." Again, I'm glad you weren't, and I hope you heal quickly, because I know what your drumming means to you.

Oh, and your warning about taking our driving seriously is an important statement. Thanks for the reminder.
    I guess I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible about it. Considering that people have been known to lose their life in accidents such as this, some bruises, cuts and glass sure seem like a preferable alternative, I must say! You're right though, PB. Thanks very much for the kinds words.
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow...wondering where you've been! Glad you're safe and in good shape. Prayers for a quick recovery!! Scary to read!! But I can't even fathom how you guys felt during and at the end of the entire ordeal.....
    Thanks for the reply late! Between moving houses, this whole ordeal and being in my last year of high school, which has a pretty heavy work load, I haven't had nearly as much time to come on DC as I'd like. Thank you for the kind words. We were quite shaken up, that's for sure, but we're all in one piece, that's the main thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    you didn't say that you got checked out at a hospital? got to watch out for internal damage dude..keep an eye on how you progress on feeling better.
    Oh, I left that part out. We were both taken to hospital in an ambulance. Because I hit my foot pretty badly, I couldn't walk, and we were both bleeding a bit (sorry for the descriptions here guys, not too fun to read I know) we were taken straight there. Steve had stopped bleeding by the time we got there, but they cleaned me up a bit and gave me some xrays. No broken or fractured bones, but, what IS shaping up to be some pretty bad bruising, especially on my chest.

Again, thanks for the positive words everyone. It's appreciated!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Geez. What an experience that must have been, eh? What a feeling of helplessness. Scary. What kind of car was it? I would think it must have been a front wheel drive car which lost traction and the wheel got jolted and turned to one side or the other which turned the car sideways to the downward slope. Can't imagine this with a rear wheel drive car unless he panicked and cranked the wheel to compensate somehow. Glad everything turned out okay, except for the 2 cars of course. Were you guys wearing seat belts?
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Car accident

Whoa, man! Glad to hear you're in one piece and, in due time, will be back behind the drums...

And glad to hear your commentary about how it could have been so much worse. Too many people don't stop to think what can happen behind the wheel, even in only a few seconds!

All the best, Matty!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck