Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do we all sweat profusely?

User Info Menu

Default Re: do we all sweat profusely?

Untouched photo of Jerry's head in a wrap and what looks like a reflection of the "Grim Reaper" floating by his head:

User Info Menu

that's flat out crazy right there.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I still say that you all work too hard at playing.

User Info Menu

like a hooker in church
    I'm sweating just thinking about sweating.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I sweat bacon grease. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    yes +1
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

I sweat a lot during setup and teardown. I don't sweat too much during a gig though as I have an 18 volt cordless fan sitting next to my hihats blowing up at me. Just need to use a towel every once in a while for the hands and forehead. Cordless fan is easily one of the best pieces of gear that I ever picked up and has become a permanent part of my gig kit.

At home I have central AC, so I setup my studio kit directly below 2 of the AC vents. Keeps cold air blowing on me all the time and I stay nice and dry!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    yes +1
    This is me!!!!
    Orange County snare.

http://youtu.be/IgdexxL-cmQ This was me when I was 14

http://youtu.be/kKsfh4jfhtk And me just screwing around

Quote Originally Posted by Brain The Minter View Post
    My throw off position is usually kneeling down in front of the toilet bowl... but not always, it depends how much time I've got before it eventually come out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I think I even sweat when I swim.
    hehehe...that was really good!

I'm like you...I sweat constantly and you will never see me anywhere without a towel within reach. My sweat will get in my eyes and just burn like acid or something. I can be sitting in a 68 degree room and start sweating if I do any activity. We keep our house at least 68 degrees or lower if we can.

My friends always tell me we could hang meat in my house it's so cold!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Once in a while some gal will come in with a short short skirt on and her blouse is bulging way out to the front and with a deep crevice ....now that gets me to sweating profusely~~~cause I have to look...just not enough that my wife takes notice...tough situations make me sweat a lot~!!! "

They notice. They may not say anything, but they notice it.

Women have eyes in the back of their head. Been there, caught hell for it.
    You're right Rick!

My wife says I can look all I want, just don't touch or spend money on 'em :-)

I also found out that she doesn't like me to drool either!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    A long workout on my drums makes me wonder where my scotch is.
    I always know where my scotch is!

I have it ready so if I have a great practice and play really well then i can reward myself.

I also have it ready in case I have a bad practice, so I won't worry about it too much!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Cool Re: do we all sweat profusely?

Do we all play drums?

I never understood why Desi Arnaz yanked his bow-tie off when he was performing "Babalu" on "I Love Lucy," but I did the first time I ever played congas and bongos in public! As we all know, drumming is hard work...that is to say, strenuous exercise!

There was one concert when a buddy and I were trading off on bongos and congas and I was really cookin'--I was sweating so much my glasses actually flew off my face on the stage in front of me...my bongo brother took over while I retrieved my glasses and we kept right on cookin' to the end!

There aren't enough towels I could stick in a gig bag to keep me completely dry during a concert!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I usually take my shirt off right before the show or play in a tank top and switch into a dry one after. I bring extra clothes to practice just so I don't have to wear the slimy gross sweaty stuff all the way home. being a drummer is hard work those guitar & bass players have it so easy, if only they knew.

User Info Menu

I remember as a teenager watching Matt Frenett in a Loverboy video. He was all sweaty and flailing wildly around. My Mom was watching too and asked, "Why is he working so hard, and why is there that painful look on his face? Gene Krupa used to play in a tuxedo and smile the whole time!"

I thought it was just her age talking at the time, but she kinda had a point. If most of your playing is in your wrists like it should be, drumming shouldn't be all that much exertion. Now, I know the Metal people need to be visual, but a lot of playing should just be in the wrists and not the arms. So-all things equal- in a room temperature situation, I probably don't sweat as much as I used to.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    I remember as a teenager watching Matt Frenett in a Loverboy video. He was all sweaty and flailing wildly around. My Mom was watching too and asked, "Why is he working so hard, and why is there that painful look on his face? Gene Krupa used to play in a tuxedo and smile the whole time!"

I thought it was just her age talking at the time, but she kinda had a point. If most of your playing is in your wrists like it should be, drumming shouldn't be all that much exertion. Now, I know the Metal people need to be visual, but a lot of playing should just be in the wrists and not the arms. So-all things equal- in a room temperature situation, I probably don't sweat as much as I used to.
    Great post and very true. But I think it really depends on the persons biology. I've seen Elvin Jones play and he played very controlled from the wrists and yet he was practically drowning in sweat.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've had shows that I looked like I jumped in a pool

User Info Menu

yeah my hands sweat badly and i usually have a fair bit running down my face. Its worse if i have a few big light hitting me or in a small bar. I've found myself starting to sweat before i've started playing at times
    “The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”
    Hunter S Thompson.

User Info Menu

Yes, profusely indeed! Once sweated through a suit at a wedding gig, not a good look!
    Last edited by BallywalterBeats; 08-21-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Great post and very true. But I think it really depends on the persons biology. I've seen Elvin Jones play and he played very controlled from the wrists and yet he was practically drowning in sweat.

all the best...
    Absolutely right there about Elvin. Seen quite a few photos of him with practically a sheen of sweat about his face.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoyaDrumr! View Post
    I usually take my shirt off right before the show or play in a tank top and switch into a dry one after. I bring extra clothes to practice just so I don't have to wear the slimy gross sweaty stuff all the way home. being a drummer is hard work those guitar & bass players have it so easy, if only they knew.

Very true!!!! They don't know how easy they have it!!!
    Orange County snare.

http://youtu.be/IgdexxL-cmQ This was me when I was 14

http://youtu.be/kKsfh4jfhtk And me just screwing around

Quote Originally Posted by Brain The Minter View Post
    My throw off position is usually kneeling down in front of the toilet bowl... but not always, it depends how much time I've got before it eventually come out.

User Info Menu

Yup, I get pretty bad swamp @ss when I play.

Especially if it's a summer gig here in Texas. I look like I just jumped into Lady Bird Lake with my clothes on.

User Info Menu

last show was a hottt stage. The normal being rushed crap set up sound check and start the set in 5 min. Barley had my sticks in hand and get the nod. My towel was missing! found it on the floor later on after I sweated out a gallon during the set grrrrrr.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I sweet bad and for my band Mechcanix I will be wearing mechanics cover alls with no sleeves and will be roasting bad I am sure.
    Conrad