Thread: New to drumming

User Info Menu

Default New to drumming

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Just bought a mapex meridian birch after selling every piece of guitar equipment I owned. It sounds crazy but I've wanted to play drums since high school but my parents swayed me towards guitar. Now that I have my drum set I don't really know where to start as far as learning. If anyone can throw me some advice is really appreciate it. Also I'm getting ready to move soon and my set will be in storage for some time, is there anything I can do while they are in storage to keep my skills from getting rusty?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New to drumming

Welcome to Drum Chat Gabesaysdude!

While those drums are in storage, get yourself a nice practice pad and go crazy on rudiments.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC! Like PB said, practice pad. Better yet, a little advice from a very experienced member of this forum who has been playing over 50 years.... take a pillow, fold it in half and hold it between your knees. Makes an awesome practice pad. It really helps develop wrist strength.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

First off... Congratulations on the Meridian Birch, it's an excellent kit.

Second; the guys are correct; a practice pad will help loads.
    I have a Billy Hyde 8" pad that's solid rubber and it is very responsive.

User Info Menu

Google "rudiments" if you're unsure of what they are. They're quite fundamental exercises that will heavily contribute to your playing.. Even the pro's still go crazy on practicing them! As the guys above said, a practice pad or something similar will be great to work on these rudiments when you can't access your drumset.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I found a nice set of practice pads set up as a five piece. Are there any books you guys recommend i buy so I can study?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabesaysdude View Post
    Thanks guys, I found a nice set of practice pads set up as a five piece. Are there any books you guys recommend i buy so I can study?
    What style are you in to?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    What style are you in to?
    I like a lot of death core stuff like white chapel and oceano. I also like hardcore bands like stick to your guns and this is hell. I'm leaning more towards playing the hardcore stuff. Seems a lot more fun than playing blast beats and break downs.

User Info Menu

Gabesaysdude, first of off Welcome...remember when you first started to learn the guitar? well drumming is no different..you need 1. guidance ( as in instruction ) and most important 2. practice practice practice. maybe not the advice you want to hear but dude there is no back door or fast track..it just takes time and dedication. good luck..and remember what ever you do don't forget to......
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I'm leaning more towards playing the hardcore stuff. Seems a lot more fun than playing blast beats and break downs.
    Hardcore music tends to rely a lot of breakdowns.

User Info Menu

i think the pillow works much better than a pad , for me a pad is too responsive , my drums are never tuned high enough to equal the response that you get from a pad , pads are very good for short practices but i think if your going to practice for a long period of time (more than a week or so) go with the pillow. this is all just my opinion , but it has worked for me for over 40 years ....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Pads and pillows are good for wrist strength, pillows maybe more, especially if you haven't gotten to the point of utilizing the bounce of a snare head. Then it's a new game. Good if your Tom heads are loose: you get no bounce to play with. Snares, tho, are almost always tuned tight so a pad actually helps adjust to that. Pads also give you some sound feedback while you learn new things, moreso than pillows do. They are less frustrating. As you build up speed, after a while I 'd use the pillow to "warm up." in other words, each practice surface has it's uses and limits.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Just picked up a practice pad, i plan to be going crazy on rudiments using that and a pillow while I sit in the hospital and wait for my wife to go into labor

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just picked up a practice pad, i plan to be going crazy on rudiments using that and a pillow while I sit in the hospital and wait for my wife to go into labor
    ah your wife's going into Labour?? you'll start the drums in 5 years then...
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    ah your wife's going into Labour?? you'll start the drums in 5 years then...
    No doubt. We've got a 14 month old at home....I've never drummed less in my life.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, welcome to drumming and congrats on the upcoming life-changing event.

Good luck and practice. Years ago, I would have recommended an instructor, andstill think it would be beneficial for most drummers...............but you can get good, solid instruction via youtube nowadays. I wish it was there when I first started.

As others recommended.....................use the pillow...............it's cheaper and more beneficial IMO, than a pad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Welcome to the forum, welcome to drumming and congrats on the upcoming life-changing event.

Good luck and practice. Years ago, I would have recommended an instructor, andstill think it would be beneficial for most drummers...............but you can get good, solid instruction via youtube nowadays. I wish it was there when I first started.

As others recommended.....................use the pillow...............it's cheaper and more beneficial IMO, than a pad
    I agree with YouTube but I would say a personal instructor would be the best for new people because they make sure you don't start with ba habits and they can make a more personal way for you to learn at least a couple to start wouldn't be bad until you can read and all that.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

^this

your first 5-6 lessons are generally the most important

User Info Menu

I'm also an inspiring drummer. Ever since I want to enroll myself to a studio where they can teach me how to play drums, but due to time schedule I've to give it up. I'm planning to take up few lessons next month and hopefully I'd be able to do so. As of the moment when at home I usually play a guitar and sing great worship songs.

User Info Menu

I'm new myself. I'm enjoying playing. Good luck. Good choice on the mapex.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

can't go wrong with mapex.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums