Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Case (Trap Case for the old timers)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hardware Case (Trap Case for the old timers)

What I like about the bag I got that PB recommended is that it can load and unload standing up.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

thats a great case Jesse , i think its the best deal out there.... since the band im in is breaking up , i need to think about some new cases myself, the cases that i have now are huge and dont fit in my van . i think im going to order one of those too. lol but i'll wait until i hear how you like yours.......
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I'll let you know ASAP Tom.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

okay I've had a chance to use my SKB the medium hardware case for a gig. I have to say it worked out pretty well. Sure it's pretty heavy but everything fit in there in there. the wheels and all the handles make it easy to move around. Well, as easy as a bunch of hardware is to move around. YMMV. I think if I put a little more planning into it I might be able to get my drum throne as well. I am happy with my purchase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Road Bull View Post
    okay I've had a chance to use my SKB the medium hardware case for a gig. I have to say it worked out pretty well. Sure it's pretty heavy but everything fit in there in there. the wheels and all the handles make it easy to move around. Well, as easy as a bunch of hardware is to move around. YMMV. I think if I put a little more planning into it I might be able to get my drum throne as well. I am happy with my purchase.
    Just a thought...do you use hard cases to haul your shells? I found that the seat could fit seat to drum head (or upside down), into the 16" floor tom case and then the stand can fit easily into the hardware case.

Did that make sense?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Just a thought...do you use hard cases to haul your shells? I found that the seat could fit seat to drum head (or upside down), into the 16" floor tom case and then the stand can fit easily into the hardware case.

Did that make sense?

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I use Protection Racket soft cases for the drums. I find that it is the perfect mix for my needs. I will have to sere what kind of space I am working with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Did that make sense?
    YES! I put my throne top in with my 14" tom! I think I bought a 16" case though, bc I bought it with that in mind.

User Info Menu

Bags are out for delivery today, so in the next day or two I should have an initial review.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I used a SKB golf club case for years, i still use it for mt Superstars. i find the width of the larger SKB hardware case makes it more stable when on uneven surfaces,
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I'm still using a big bulky hockey bag with no wheels or shoulder strap, last gig my band played I had to park a good 5-10 minute walk away and had to lug that bag all the way to the gig... Pain in the butt, arms, legs and occasionally stomach when things would dig into me. Next time i'm dropping everything off first which would have been the smart thing to do in the first place. Anyways now I plan on using a fairly big suitcase with wheels, hopefully that'll hold together for a while.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    YES! I put my throne top in with my 14" tom! I think I bought a 16" case though, bc I bought it with that in mind.
    Nice!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Well, after packing one of the bags with 2 speaker stands, 4 mic stands, 2 guitar stands, and my mini boom stand for my kick mic, I'm sold. It's super easy to pack/unpack, and very easy to move around.

Most of my hardware is in another bag right now, but I'm feeling very positive about for my drum hardware as well. The plan is to have it packed with stands for a bigger setup (5 piece kit, hats, ride, 3 crashes), throne, snare stand and to pack my smaller hardware bag for use on smaller gigs with less cymbals needed.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

thats what i wanted to hear... thanks for the review bud , i think one of those are on my list.....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Jesse, this was my choice. I know that this is a little more than you budgeted (it's $189 now), but I think it's the best wheeled bag that out there. The wheels aren't attached to to the bag, but a dollie that is integrated with the bag. This also takes a lot of stress off of the zippers. It also stands upright for loading and unloading, so there's less bending over involved. You may not have reached the stage where you need that yet, but it's been great for me.

Nice, I like this bag PB. How much hardware do you, or can you fit into one of these? I like the idea of not having to bend over during setup and teardown. Especially teardown after playing all night. I use to take all my hardware in one big container with wheels that was made for hardware. But, as Bish mentioned, these things get very heavy. So heavy that I went and bought 3 PA Speaker stand bags to use instead. I split the hardware and put it into 3 seperate bags to make it easier on the back when lifting. However, doing it this way means more trips to the truck. At the time that I purchased these bags, they were $25 each. Now, they're up to $30. Still, not a bad price for a decent quality hardware bag.

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Another shout out for the golf bag flight cases/hard cases. I've picked up a few off CL for $50 on average, including an SKB (missing a wheel but should be able to get a replacement from them). The SKB one is WORTH IT for the latches alone- blows all else out of the water.

Anyone have any experience with these?

This looks like a solid investment as I could get all my shells on the cart in one trip, and make only one more trip for my two golf/hardware cases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Another shout out for the golf bag flight cases/hard cases. I've picked up a few off CL for $50 on average, including an SKB (missing a wheel but should be able to get a replacement from them). The SKB one is WORTH IT for the latches alone- blows all else out of the water.

This looks like a solid investment as I could get all my shells on the cart in one trip, and make only one more trip for my two golf/hardware cases.
    I've seen them, but have no experience with them. I've also contiplated getting one. But, then I stop and think of the typical venues that I play and realize that I probably wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify the cost. However, if you can put it to good use, I think that it would be very nice to have.
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

The carts are cool and very helpful (don't own one but have used one on occasion). It is nice to bring all the drums in one trip, and all the amps in another.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I'm on CL all day every day looking for deals on various musical gears.
    Same here my friend.

I use an SKB case I bought off CL for 50 bucks for my HH stand and rack posts and bars.
    I use the case below which is made by Sterilite and can be bought at most retailers for around 20-25 bucks. It has wheels which makes it easy to move. I used it for the cymbal and tom arms for the rack and small stands like the snare and such. It works great.

Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I've got one, and I love it. It won't help much if you're dealing with stairs, but if not, then it allows you to make fewer trip, and it saves your back. It also folds up nicely.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nice - which model number do you have PB? I've been looking at the R8.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    Same here my friend.

I use an SKB case I bought off CL for 50 bucks for my HH stand and rack posts and bars.
    I use the case below which is made by Sterilite and can be bought at most retailers for around 20-25 bucks. It has wheels which makes it easy to move. I used it for the cymbal and tom arms for the rack and small stands like the snare and such. It works great.

We keep our merch in one of those. What I like about the golf case is that I don't have to collapse the section of my cymbal stands to transport them. Stow the boom arm and fold the legs. Make set up at the gig much quicker b/c my stands are already at their correct height.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Nice, I like this bag PB. How much hardware do you, or can you fit into one of these? I like the idea of not having to bend over during setup and teardown. Especially teardown after playing all night. I use to take all my hardware in one big container with wheels that was made for hardware. But, as Bish mentioned, these things get very heavy. So heavy that I went and bought 3 PA Speaker stand bags to use instead. I split the hardware and put it into 3 seperate bags to make it easier on the back when lifting. However, doing it this way means more trips to the truck. At the time that I purchased these bags, they were $25 each. Now, they're up to $30. Still, not a bad price for a decent quality hardware bag.
    Sorry DrummerD, but I missed this one somehow. I have a rack that goes in a separate bag, but all other hardware goes in this one. There are 2 outside pockets that can handle cymbal arms when I'm using the rack, plus another smaller pocket up front. When I have the smaller kit, I generally use 3 cymbal stands, plus the hi-hat stand. Everything fits just fine. I don't carry my pedal in this because I have a separate case for it, but it wouldn't be a problem to get it in there.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

PB, I found I have to pull the Hi-Hat rod to make it short enough to fit. Did you find that?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Nice - which model number do you have PB? I've been looking at the R8.
    The R8 is the one I have, and it handles everything just fine - drum gear, and PA gear. It's nice not having to make so many trips. The only down side is that if there are stairs, you still end up making multiple trips. Where I play, I don't encounter many steps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    PB, I found I have to pull the Hi-Hat rod to make it short enough to fit. Did you find that?
    I have to do that with my SKB case as well.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"