Thread: Lesson Quandry

User Info Menu

Default Lesson Quandry

Hi all,

I’m new to DrumChat. I have an interesting situation I could use some advice on. First a little background.

I’m 49 and have been drumming since I was 12. I took lessons through my teen years into my late 20’s and while I learned a lot, I never was a standout. I’ve played professionally and absolutely love playing. I love listening to and watching technical drummers like Neil Peart and while I can fake my way through some RUSH tunes I’m never going to be Neil. I enjoy the meat and potatoes style of drummers like Ringo Starr, Herman Rarebell and Joey Kramer.

Here is the problem.

I now live in New Orleans and love the local music and drumming style, though I don’t want everything I play to be second line influenced. For my birthday my wife gave me an introductory drum lesson with drum legend Johnny Vidacovich. I have no clue how to even go into this lesson. I can play but I feel that I’m going in as a beginning 12 year old all over again. I know I can gain something from this great man but how do I even start?

Any advice/suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lesson Quandry

Welcome to Drum Chat Johnny Blond!

Remember how you felt when you had your lessons in your teen years. You were open to learning what the teacher could offer to you. This is exactly how you need to approach the lesson with Johnny Vidacovich. Just be open to what he will offer you as the student.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Remember how you felt when you had your lessons in your teen years. You were open to learning what the teacher could offer to you. This is exactly how you need to approach the lesson with Johnny Vidacovich. Just be open to what he will offer you as the student.

Just my 2 cents.
    yep.....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    Exactly this. It's the way I have to think now as I keep learning and improving on tuned percussion, piano and other percussion instruments. You never stop learning.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Since this is an "introductory" lesson, he will ask you to work around the kit so he can get a feel for the current level of ability. If you read charts, that's good but if not, he will work around that. He will be able to provide a few drills for you to work on to improve what you already have............or maybe a simpler way to do something you can already do.

However the one thing you can certainly expect is that he will attempt to book you for a series of lessons.............perhaps even with price breaks..........for example, a weekly lesson for a year.
    So you need to be thinking about how you want to react to that.

Whether you like him or what he teaches you can play a big role............I would likely want to think it over and get back to him with your preferred frequency of lessons, if any.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Since this is an "introductory" lesson, he will ask you to work around the kit so he can get a feel for the current level of ability. If you read charts, that's good but if not, he will work around that. He will be able to provide a few drills for you to work on to improve what you already have............or maybe a simpler way to do something you can already do.

However the one thing you can certainly expect is that he will attempt to book you for a series of lessons.............perhaps even with price breaks..........for example, a weekly lesson for a year.
    So you need to be thinking about how you want to react to that.

Whether you like him or what he teaches you can play a big role............I would likely want to think it over and get back to him with your preferred frequency of lessons, if any.

Great Advice!