Thread: Pedal Problem

User Info Menu

Default Pedal Problem

I have the exclusive privilege of getting to play on not one, but two "budget" gibraltar double pedals. One is mine on my practice e-kit and the other is on my acoustic set at my band's practice place; I'm actually pretty lucky because the second one is my guitarist's (he's the original drummer) that I get to use so I don't have to bring mine every practice.
    The thing with the Gibraltar pedal is, its not a bad pedal at all, but the beaters just won't stay in their holders. The lugs eventually become near useless at holding the beaters into place and I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to hold the beaters in tightly. I wrap rubber bands on the shaft of the beaters to hold the pedal in to place, but the pedal is still prone to flying off (It actually happens alot, for some reason) At home on the ekit, I don't have the flying off problem, probably because I don't get as "into it", but the pedals will still spring around and make a horrid clicking noise every time I hit the pad. On an e-kit a noise like that really sticks out. If I'm using headphones I don't mind so much, but I'm really conscious of the noise I make seeing as I play in an a room open to the rest of the house.
    Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pedal Problem

Its been over tightened and its stripped.

User Info Menu

Still having issues with the Gib beaters flying off?? If you don't have the need to remove the beater for storage or transport, my suggestion to you is the use a product called JB weld. It's and expoxy adhesive that bonds metal pieces together. It comes in 2 tubes that have to be mixed together like regular epoxy. It's applied directly and dries within 24 hours. Slip some JB weld on the shaft of the beater and slip it into the pedal and wait 24 hours and it will never be a problem again.

User Info Menu

Yep. Stripped out from constant tightening. It happens. Not really any good way to fix it. One would be to drill a small indent into the rod so that the set screw actually sets into the indent on the rod. Because it isn't tightening against the rod anymore. Or another way, like Late8 says, would be to JB weld it where you want it for the last time. This would be a nearly permanent fix with no further adjustment possible for as long as the weld holds.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Drill out the hole, re-tap it and put in a new screw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Drill out the hole, re-tap it and put in a new screw.
    Assuming you've never done anything like this what equipment is needed to do this?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

if you have no knowledge, take it to a machine shop. the might charge you $10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    if you have no knowledge, take it to a machine shop. the might charge you $10
    Or go buy a decent pedal...