Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stupidest thing ive heard recently

User Info Menu

Default Re: stupidest thing ive heard recently

Any instrument you play can be a harsh mistress. I've seen decent musicians quit after playing for a good period of time, for reasons that made no sense to me.

Time is usually the biggest factor. Family, work, lack of a place to play, whatever, can have a effect on your attitude towards playing.

Confidence is another. You must have confidence in your ability to play and a willingness to continue to learn. I've seen musicians reach a certain level, then are content to stay there.

I've been at this for over 1/2 a century and still try to learn something every time I play. Doesn't always happen, but, on those days when you find something new, makes it all worthwhile.

User Info Menu

On the other hand, I've told people I quit altogether just so "they" would leave me alone.
    "They" being the musicians who constantly hound you to start a band and you know you're not compatable.
    But if you're both drummers I doubt that was his reason.

User Info Menu

I figure no one has an obligation to explain to any one why they choose to do or choose not to do anything. This includes smoking, drinking, sports, or pursuing music. People give up music all the time for reasons that only really matter to them. This guy probably gave the drums a whirl and decided it wasn't his cup of tea. Give him his space.

Many times I have bumped into people who were enthusiastic musicians 30 years ago or something, and they're not playing any more. That's life. Most are overtaken by the work-a-day realities of life and family etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    No he doesn't play in bands or anything. Just a guys who plays drums.
    There's his problem. At 27 he should be playing with others, even if it's just for fun.
    I can understand people who have done the whole "being in a band" thing & now just want to play, but if he's never done it that's probably why he's giving up.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with his reasoning, but if he doesn't want to play for whatever reason, that's his decision and should be respected. Just my opinion.
    Great post X

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I figure no one has an obligation to explain to any one why they choose to do or choose not to do anything. This includes smoking, drinking, sports, or pursuing music. People give up music all the time for reasons that only really matter to them. This guy probably gave the drums a whirl and decided it wasn't his cup of tea. Give him his space.

Many times I have bumped into people who were enthusiastic musicians 30 years ago or something, and they're not playing any more. That's life. Most are overtaken by the work-a-day realities of life and family etc...

User Info Menu

I have to agree with kaygee. I personally haven't practiced regularly in months, why? Cuz I'm to busy. I work have a girlfriend and have other things to do. I have family and friends who practiced and gigged heavily in there younger years, than as they got older they got families and jobs and whatever else. And now most of them don't even play there instruments anymore. Remember drums are a luxury not a necessity, and some people just can't afford the luxury anymore. I myself still practice once every few weeks or so, and I still play at church every Sunday. But even though I said I would make playing a priority, and that I would try to do it no matter what, I've just found that I don't have time for it like I used to. It saddens me, but hey that's life. I've also had to give up other things that I enjoyed doing almost as much as playing drums. But against, that's life.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian