Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupidest thing ive heard recently

User Info Menu

Default stupidest thing ive heard recently

Drummer I talk to at work said he wasn't really into playing anymore. Mostly because he's not that good and said he was too old to learn anymore. Guy is 27.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: stupidest thing ive heard recently

thats a weak excuse and probably not the reason he isnt playing
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Sounds like he's covering up for the age old "I really don't want to have to put in the time it takes to become good."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Drummer I talk to at work said he wasn't really into playing anymore. Mostly because he's not that good and said he was too old to learn anymore. Guy is 27.
    He's too old at 27? Wow. Maybe you should advise him to join AARP while he's at it.

Jeez, I'm almost twice his age and I never want to stop learning!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

it sounds like a bit of a rubbish reason, plenty of people don't even start until they are 20 ish.
    He can't want to drum that much.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Very common. It takes a notch above a fleeting interest in drumming to commit to it. It can be expensive, burdensome to store, and disruptive to others. For the 28+ years I've been playing drums, it's become a part of my life and there isn't a day that goes by without it in my routine.

User Info Menu

He's been playing a few years it sounds like too. I told him I'm 33 and just started to seriously try to learn to play drums. I'm even teaching myself double kick. My dad was in his late 40s when he learned to play guitar. Now he knows how to play the banjo too. Its just a cop out.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

You are what you think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You are what you think.
    Not to mention what you eat, as well!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Another set of drums for E-Bay.

User Info Menu

You are never too old for drumming. The way I see it is that you got or you don't. Sounds like he don't.

User Info Menu

If you have a pessimistic mindset about learning like that, you wouldn't get far if you tried anyway. What a rubbish excuse. The bloke doesn't have an obligation to play drums or anything, but if that's the reason he's convinced himself he can't, he definitely needs a bit of a reality check. We've had members on this forum starting in their 50's and 60's!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I started in my 30's.Never to old to learn.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Not to mention what you eat, as well!
    Almost Matt eats a lot. Look at his avatar.

User Info Menu

Lol yeah. I think its a waste.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I don't necessarily agree with his reasoning, but if he doesn't want to play for whatever reason, that's his decision and should be respected. Just my opinion.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Maybe if he were able to be in a band it would help as an incentive injection.

User Info Menu

I'm 44, and I'm not that good either...but I suspect that most people can't judge their own talent. Many times they are better than they think (although I'm pretty confident that I'm not that good, LOL). I never had much time for music, bands and drums, but now that my kids are older and I have more personal time, I'm finally able to spend more time playing drums and playing in a band.
    I really don't care how good I am. I play because I have fun, and the more I play, the better I get. There's ALWAYS someone better. I think that if someone quits something that they enjoy doing because they aren't as good as they wish they were, then they're cheating themselves out of the joys of life. If they won't do something because they aren't any good, then life will be real tough.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm 44, and I'm not that good either...but I suspect that most people can't judge their own talent. Many times they are better than they think (although I'm pretty confident that I'm not that good, LOL). I never had much time for music, bands and drums, but now that my kids are older and I have more personal time, I'm finally able to spend more time playing drums and playing in a band.
    I really don't care how good I am. I play because I have fun, and the more I play, the better I get. There's ALWAYS someone better. I think that if someone quits something that they enjoy doing because they aren't as good as they wish they were, then they're cheating themselves out of the joys of life. If they won't do something because they aren't any good, then life will be real tough.
    I agree with you,most people don't know how good they are playing. I have this problem.I won't join a band because I don't think I am good enough to play a gig but yet when I play a song or 2 with a friends band,people ask me if I am in a band and I say no and they tell me I should join one. I got 2 offers to join a band a turned them down.One guy works at the local GC and said that he knew someone is looking for a drummer and they supply an e kit and I still refused that offer. I like to play,I won't deny that,and even with my back and neck in a huge mess with pain every day,I find a way to play. I have fun playing and now that my son is learning,I am learning more as well and teaching him some things. I'll always play until I can't move my arms or legs. Music has been a big part of my life for several years and when I started playing,I was hooked.
    Moral is,others think I am good enough to be in a band but I don't think that way myself. I am happy with what I do at home and have the chance to play with a friends band here and there. Enough for me.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Agree with him until he's ready to give away his drums. Ask him to help load them up in your vehicle.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Agree with him until he's ready to give away his drums. Ask him to help load them up in your vehicle.

Education! I'm starting to learn from the best! Aim high and look way ahead!
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Lol yeah. I just hate to see another musician give up without a real good reason. My last bands guitar player quit because the kid we had playing drums wouldnt show up. We were friends for 9 years and now he don't talk to me anymore. For no reason. He now refuses to play with anyone else. Eh people.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Win.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You're never to old to learn anything new, that's for sure.

The only thing that he's too old to do is be in One Direction.

At the same time, if he's been out playing a lot, I've heard that being on the road does one of two things: 1. It makes you old quickly, or 2. it keeps you young forever.

He may be going through the latter.

User Info Menu

No he doesn't play in bands or anything. Just a guys who plays drums.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal