Thread: Can't get my ludwig acrolite to sound right!!!

User Info Menu

Default Can't get my ludwig acrolite to sound right!!!

Hello peoples!! just got my 3rd acrolite. my cousin gave it to me along with a ludwig vistalite kit and an old rogers kit. also an older tama starclassic birch 6.5x14 snare!! Christmas has come early!!!! anyway, i can't get this acrolite to sound right!! it has this pingy, knocky sound to it that i don't like and i can't figure out what it is. im pretty good at tuning. i've tried different heads and hoops!! i currently have a coated emperor on the batter and a remo snare side head. i've tried dw hoops, die-cast hoops, triple flanged hoops and nothing works!! i had a coated pinstripe on it first and when i switched to the emperor that helped. my other acrolites sound great. this one is giving me a headache. i've tried different tunings and everything. is there something else that i can try?? might get rid of this or trade it if i can't figure this one out.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can't get my ludwig acrolite to sound right!!!

did you check the wire ?
    a bit of moongel could help too
    i am tight on the batter and med tight on reso
    and it have no ring

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

i did try moongel. its not really the ring that im worried about. it's just a knocky, pingy, thin sound compared to my other acrolites and i really don't like it. i did try tuning the batter tight and the reso medium. it still has this nasty sound. maybe something is wrong with the shell. wana to get it sorted out soon.

User Info Menu

Stand away from it and have someone else hit it. See if you still hear it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Currently at a gig with this snare and I'm almost done. Can't get it to sound right at all. I might give it one more go tommorow at another gig. Can't figure this thing out. My other 2 acros sound amazing and this one sounds pretty bad. Any other suggestions??

User Info Menu

check if the shell is round with out both rim

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Have you checked the bearing edge? if the head is not seated properly this may be one of the problems...if the edge is not true then no matter what head you put on it will not help..OH and what year Rogers????
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
    it has this pingy, knocky sound to it that i don't like and i can't figure out what it is. im pretty good at tuning. i've tried different heads and hoops!! i currently have a coated emperor on the batter and a remo snare side head. i've tried dw hoops, die-cast hoops, triple flanged hoops and nothing works!! i had a coated pinstripe on it first and when i switched to the emperor that helped. my other acrolites sound great. this one is giving me a headache. i've tried different tunings and everything.
    It's very difficult to understand the sound you want vs. the sound you have now. You will just have to experiment and hopefully you can tweek it in. What heads, etc. do you have on the other Acro's and how may this one differ from those?

User Info Menu

I would never suggest a thick head for a snare batter, I would personally ditch the emperor and go coated ambassador. You also might want to loosen the reso head.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
    Currently at a gig with this snare and I'm almost done. Can't get it to sound right at all. I might give it one more go tommorow at another gig. Can't figure this thing out. My other 2 acros sound amazing and this one sounds pretty bad. Any other suggestions??
    Check that all hardware is screwed on tightly. Even 1 loose lug can change the resonance.

all the best...

User Info Menu

i would take the heads off of the bad drum and off of your best sounding acro , stack the shells with the batter side barring edges together with the good drum on the bottom. then check for gap between the 2 edges, then check for roundness of the shells , do both edges , that should tell the tale,, ill bet that its an edge or out of round problem .. you have ruled out rim and head problems so it has to be a bad edge or roundness problem. good luck.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

hey fellas!! i appreciate all the advice. found out it was the bearing edges on the batter that had some notches. i actually ended up selling it for very cheap because of the bearing edges. the guy said he can fix it. how would you fix the bearing edge on an acrolite?? i used one of my other acro's this morning at another gig and it sounded so sweet!! i guess the bearing edge is something i'll try to check for on a regular basis when i get a drum. this is the 1st time i've had that problem