Thread: Cleaning conga and bongo heads

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning conga and bongo heads

Hey, bongo brothers--what do you use to clean and/or maintain the skins on your hand drums? Some people have told me to apply an unscented lotion to the heads (much as you would to dry skin), let it soak in a bit, then wipe them dry--but it seems to me that it would mess up the sound of the skins and attract more dirt...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey Bro, I have never found anything to clean my conga/bongo/djembe/ashiko drum heads. I am afraid to use anything on them as I don't want them to ever get wet. Occasionally, a drop of sweat gets on one and when I wipe it off, I have a clean spot. Does'nt last long though. I have been told to use soap & water on conga/bongo heads as they are thicker and more forgiving than djembe/ashiko heads. I know you need to soak the djembe/ashiko heads in water to stretch them and make them plyable when you first put them on, but you don't want to ever get them wet after that as they will stretch abnormally.

Besides, they dirt gives them character!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning conga and bongo heads

Tell ya what, 1DrumBum, then my congas and bongos are loaded with character!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck