Thread: Wrist/arm weights?

User Info Menu

Default Wrist/arm weights?

Hey all,

I've started with a new drum teacher, and being a newbie, I'm learning from square one. He's got me working on my snare with the snare fairly high, to the point where my arms, when I'm at position one, are almost parallel to the floor to ensure I'm not hitting inadvertent rim shots. This is pretty awkward for me, but if that's the way it's supposed to be... My question is, with this arm position, does anyone practice with arm or wrist weights? I tried this the last few days, primarily to continuously remind myself to keep the elbows up (the weight keeps the need in my head) not to mention that the increased weight will help with shoulder muscles over time. Is this weird, or have any of you tried this, too?
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrist/arm weights?

I've never used weights other than slightly heavier sticks.

As for the snare drum. Once you get behind a drum set, you will set the snare at a height and angle that is comfortable to you, not the teacher.

User Info Menu

i never have. Like Rick said it's up to you how you want it. Some guys have the snare tilted so much I can't see how they could play elbow up. Nicko Mcbrain comes to mind. A lot of guys from the 50's and 60's tilted it away from them always thought that was kinda wierd. I think that had something to do with the traditional grip.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Not sure what good weights would actually do. The movement should all come from the wrist and fingers. Maybe weights would help keep you from using your forearms? Does someone make stick weights you can put on the end of sticks to help build wrist strength?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I also think its up to you to set the height of your instruments...unless you're really out in left field with your setup and need a bit of guidance, its up to you, and none of this forearm parallel to the ground, as long as the sun is in the 7th quadrant of the zodiac type of rules...and what's position one? is this something i should know after 35 years of drumming?
    No weights, if you wanna increase your wrist strength, do wrist curls with a light dumbell...lots of reps, not much weight....or just drum more since that's what your goal is..

User Info Menu

dont play drums with weights on your arms .. youll be asking for trouble. if you feel that you need to be stronger ,lift weights , do curls , playing with weights will hurt your elbows. lift weights or practice with heavier sticks.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I've used sticks that are 1 step up in weight from what I usually use. Years ago I tried using very heavy sticks thinking they would make me much faster and when I went back to the sticks I normally used, I felt like I was playing with pencils.

1 step up will work, I've been doing that for decades and some people consider me reasonably fast.

User Info Menu

Not saying that your teacher is wrong, but you need to set your gear up so that it is comfortable for your body build. Not what he thinks is the preferred position to drum at. Not everybody is built the same. When sitting on your throne, your snare should be even with your belly. If he's worried about you hitting rim shots all the time, you should tilt your snare slightly toward you. Raising the snare sounds uncomfortable to me and would make rim shot more prevalent, right? Like what has been said, putting weights on your wrists will put stress on your hands, arms, elbows, and shoulders. Don't do it.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

For sticks....always practiced with abit heavier
    up from what i would normally use....
    When touring drums ewere usually elsewhere...
    So if i didnt have my remo practicepad kit in da room
    (no cymbals unless i used a towel over it) for rides
    i chose da "dennis chambers pillows,chairs,or couch routine...."
    plastic garbage can as a bass drum....
    I did practice wif ankle weights alot in da early days
    & occassionally later on....
    (helped because of my cerebral palsey weakness)...
    Recent routine these days is headphones in da roland...
    If i haveta physically work it...but.....
    Over 50 yrs of experience has taught me this...

The ability to hear plainly & precisely (with very few exceptions)
    allows me me to tap my pheat, & airdrum...
    Then transfer that movement to da kit ,,,,when i get there...
    Very few flaws exsist for me that way...
    But i been doin it for so long its 2nd nature...
    Not for everyone,,,im no drum god,,,just sayin...
    It works for me...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    dont play drums with weights on your arms .. youll be asking for trouble. if you feel that you need to be stronger ,lift weights , do curls , playing with weights will hurt your elbows. lift weights or practice with heavier sticks.
    +1, that just sounds scary..all kinds of tendons and little joints are affected as well as the undue tension it will be putting on your neck.. It's ok to lift weights and workout in this manner but to play something like drums is dangerous imo.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    He's got me working on my snare with the snare fairly high, to the point where my arms, when I'm at position one, are almost parallel to the floor to ensure I'm not hitting inadvertent rim shots. This is pretty awkward for me, but if that's the way it's supposed to be...
    Hi cabasner and welcome to DrumChat. As others have posted, there's no standard position for any drum(s) and it's all about comfort and not playing in a position where there might be discomfort or pain associated with the body's posture.

Rim shots is what I use when I play the snare and it's set high enough so my sticks makes contact with the rim on each snare stroke. Some drummers avoid rim shots and play with the snare slightly lower to avoid hitting the rim on each stroke so I'm a bit confused on why your drum teacher hasn't yet explored both techniques.

I also agree with others not to use wrist weights to help build muscle memory. Heavier sticks and practicing on a pillow or a thick phonebook will help build the muscle memory in your forearms, wrists and fingers.