Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crash / Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crash / Ride

I just got a Sabian ISO 20" crash. It sounds great as a ride. It's ride quality is the reason I bought it. It's one of those cymbals that you're supposed to vote on. I've not use it with my band yet, but at home I like it. The crash sound doesn't go too well with my Paiste Sigs. but I've got an HH 16" and a 13" AA They go good together. I think I'm gona try using just the 20 and 16 with my new band. It's nearly all late 60's and 70's stuff.

User Info Menu

I use a Zildjian Z Custom 19" Projection Crash as a crash/ride, and it's the best ride I've ever owned. Although it was never intended as a ride, it has a wonderful wash, a bright and cutting crash, but also excellent stick definition and a MASSIVE bell that sings like no other I've played. If it ever breaks I'll be devastated.
    Premier Genista Maple - 22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x16
    Tama 14x6.5 SLP Studio Maple Snare w/ Wood Hoops
    Mapex 10x5.5 Black Panther 'The Stinger' Snare

Zildjian Z Custom 19 Projection Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 18 EFX Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 6 Splash
    Sabian B8 Pro 18 Ozone Crash
    Sabian AAX 18 Stage Crash
    Sabian AAX 13 Fusion Hi Hats
    Paiste Signature 8 Splash
    Stagg SH 10 Splash
    Stagg SH 8 China Splash
    Wuhan 18 Crash/Ride
    Wuhan 14 China

User Info Menu

I'm on the fence with this one. There are vary valid points made for those in favor of a crash/ride and those that are not.

I am leaning more toward Phroggee's opinions. While there may be specific labels placed on cymbals to designate their purpose I would think it's personal preference as to what you want to do with a cymbal based on the sound you get from it. While there are "traditional" ways that crashes and rides are set up and used there's nothing saying that that is what you have to do with that cymbal. I have crashed a ride many times and ridden a crash just as many times. Heck I even took a marching band/drum corps cymbal and used it as a ride for a "special effect" kind of thing- (18" Zildjian and it had a weight and sound of a 20" or bigger heavy ride with a cool ping to it), had the rivet in the eye and the leather handle/strap still in it.

I'm not opposed to trying anything new of different.

There is one thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread and that is someone or a few drummers saying they haven't found a crash/ride that they like. While I have never specifically looked for a crash/ride I still, to this day, haven't found that "perfect" ride…yet!! And for some reason I think that will be a forever search. I have rides I really enjoy as well as crashes but that one, perfect ride is so elusive…
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I agree with the above. A cymbal is a cymbal and can be used for an purpose imaginable. Many rides have crash-ability and vice versa. Some don't, but the drummers ear can tell the difference.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I was in GC a few months ago just killing time. Someone was in the cymbal room doing some testing. I hear this nice sounding ride then all of a sudden he wails on it. WOW I go.
    Run back there and ask him what he was hitting.
    I now have a 21" Zildjian Sweet Ride. Just love it.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I've got a 20" A Series Crash Ride that I've been using as my primary gigging ride for almost a year now. Fantastic cymbal. Great as a ride, and it can actually be used as a crash. I am one of the lucky ones.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

BackStreetDrums Guest

A Sabian Artisan Vault, 20" and 22"..both rides, but both light enough to offer a good crash...4 cymbals in 2. Less to haul, carry, setup
    Great for jazz.

User Info Menu

I have a Sabian B8 Crash/Ride on my students kit. I only let them use it as a ride. It sounds horrible as a crash and just as bad as a ride. But it was cheap and I just bought a cymbal pack for teaching

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I'm on the fence with this one. There are vary valid points made for those in favor of a crash/ride and those that are not.

I am leaning more toward Phroggee's opinions. While there may be specific labels placed on cymbals to designate their purpose I would think it's personal preference as to what you want to do with a cymbal based on the sound you get from it. While there are "traditional" ways that crashes and rides are set up and used there's nothing saying that that is what you have to do with that cymbal. I have crashed a ride many times and ridden a crash just as many times. Heck I even took a marching band/drum corps cymbal and used it as a ride for a "special effect" kind of thing- (18" Zildjian and it had a weight and sound of a 20" or bigger heavy ride with a cool ping to it), had the rivet in the eye and the leather handle/strap still in it.

I'm not opposed to trying anything new of different.

There is one thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread and that is someone or a few drummers saying they haven't found a crash/ride that they like. While I have never specifically looked for a crash/ride I still, to this day, haven't found that "perfect" ride…yet!! And for some reason I think that will be a forever search. I have rides I really enjoy as well as crashes but that one, perfect ride is so elusive…
    Yes .. thank you for putting it so eloquently .
    I have been using a Zildjian 18" Medium as a crash ride since 1985 . Recently I bought a 21" Zildjian K Crash/Ride that I just love .
    Use whatever sounds right for the situation regardless of what's written/stamped on the cymbal .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backstreetdrums View Post
    a sabian artisan vault, 20" and 22"..both rides, but both light enough to offer a good crash...4 cymbals in 2. Less to haul, carry, setup
    great for jazz.
    yes

User Info Menu

I would only use a crash-ride cymbal if that was the only cymbal (other than the hats) that I had setup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I have never seen a combination Crash / Ride cymbal that I liked at all.
    A cymbal is either a crash.........or a ride........or effect.........simple.
    Exactly. I had a bronze crash ride on my first drums, and I'll never go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have an old 20"atlas crash/ride cymbal that I use and it sounds amazing. I also have a Sabian jack dejohnnette' 20" crash that is a great crash/ride that I love. I love crashing on rides. I don't bring a lot of cymbals out on gigs so having the ride cymbal serve multiple purposes is a plus for me. I've had my eye on a sweet ride for a long time. Think it's time to go ahead a pond scoop one up!! Also getting into the Sabian groove ride as well!

User Info Menu

21" Zildjian Sweet Ride sounds great as a ride & also a crash. Thrash mine to death & it's fantastic. I also have a Z 23" Power Ride which I use for the "Ping" effect when needed.

User Info Menu

I have two cymbals that could be called crash-ride cymbals. My HHX Evolution Ride is very crashable, and I like the ping too. I also have an SR2 18 inch Thin that I bought as a crash but later found out that if you play it near the bell, it has a good ping sound. I used it at a jam and really liked how it sounded as both a ride and a crash. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army