Thread: Are Remo djembes REALLY "indestructibe"

User Info Menu

Default Are Remo djembes REALLY "indestructibe"

Hey guys, new to the site and new to djembe'ing. I've got my first drum circle tomorrow after work, and the meeting place is close to my work (which is a looong way from home).

I know one of the selling points to these Remo's is that they aren't as affected by weather, humidity, etc. as "real" djembes. Tomorrow is going to be around 85 degrees and probably 100% humidity as it always here. lol Will my djembe be OK in the car?

I will keep it out of direct sunlight and can even cover it up if that helps, but it's definitely going to get HOT in that car. Please tell me it's gonna be OK because it just isn't practical to go all the way back home to get it after work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are Remo djembes REALLY "indestructibe"

I own a synthetic djembe and I would not take that chance. This is probably kind of late response though. Let us know if you did leave it in the car all day so we can learn from your experience with it. Good luck

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Are Remo djembes REALLY "indestructibe"

Hey, rooster! Welcome aboard and glad to see you love hand drumming and "djembe'ing."

As Pearl MCX Man said earlier, it's after the fact, and all things being equal, a synthetic head is more resistant to weather changes than a skin head. Having said that, man, it's not a good idea to leave a djembe (or for that matter, any drum) in a car for an extended period of time, particularly in hot weather.

Problem is that the inside of a closed car, even at 70 degrees outdoors, can heat up to over 140 degrees in a short period of time. Covering the drum with a djembe bag--which I hope ya bought when you got the drum--will help to a certain extent, but with a synthetic head you may run the risk of loosening the adhesive which holds it in place. Keeping it in the trunk may be the best alternative, but keep it covered and don't let it bang around in the trunk, no pun intended.

Although I must admit, come to think of it, hand drumming and hand drums originated in primarily tropical and sub-tropical climates, so it's possible I'm a little more paranoid about drum damage than most!

Hope you and your djembe make some great sounds after work, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The remo drums aren't as affected by weather changes, however being in a hot car for that long might do something. If nothing else I am almost sure it will go out of tune, though that is easy to fix, being drum-key tunable and having a synthetic head. Try to cover it with as much as you can so it is not directly exposed to the sun. These drums have been used outside in marching band front ensembles and similar situations where the drum is often exposed to the sun, and in Texas and other nearby states that can get to well over 100 degrees. The only change that I am aware of was slight de-tuning.
    I would still try to avoid it when at all possible though, just to be safe...

User Info Menu

I put my Remo Djembe through a lot of abuse through the years, and now, it looks like it. The rubber ring around the bottom is gone. The bottom 4 inches of covering (Kente cloth) are as well. THe head's plies are separating and it needs replaced, if it wasn't so expensive, and If I didn't switched to a real djembe.

Indestructible? No. Could I put a real djembe through that same torture and have it as playable? Of course not.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I have a designer series camo one and it has seen a full day of sunday then ended in prob a min of rain all well though
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Keep a hand drum in your car, whether it's synthetic or not? In the heat and humidity? Heck no!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the advice and the warm welcome! I look forward to joining in the discussion around here whenever possible.

As for this issue, of course I waited too late to post my question and no one was able to respond before I had to make a decision. Just to report back, I took it with me and it stayed in the car all day. I believe I lucked out as far as the temp goes because it rained a lot of the day which kept it a little cooler. Of course I guess the rain could pose it's own issues but whatever the case, everything seemed to be fine.

Your advice is duly noted however and I will keep it in mind for the future. I do hope to buy a "real" djembe eventually and you can be sure I will heed all of these warnings then!

User Info Menu

I have a Remo Advent djembe http://remo.com/photo/catalog/6/28/756/big.jpg that I used to keep in the car with my Meinl doumbek. I never had problem with it. Can't say the same for the doumbek, though. It's no fun tucking an aluminum drum under your arm after its been in the car in January in Michigan. Eventually, I switched to a cajon.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Are Remo djembes REALLY "indestructibe"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Keck View Post
    I have a Remo Advent djembe http://remo.com/photo/catalog/6/28/756/big.jpg that I used to keep in the car with my Meinl doumbek. I never had problem with it. Can't say the same for the doumbek, though. It's no fun tucking an aluminum drum under your arm after its been in the car in January in Michigan. Eventually, I switched to a cajon.
    Not mention the hot weather in the midwest!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck