Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping Tempo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keeping Tempo

So what happened? Were you off, or were the....gasp!.....awesome guitar players off?
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Here's a link that may help

http://bestdrumtrainer.com/tt/

It's pretty good to be able to check yours, or Mr "walking 'nome", time

Was a humbling experience when I first used it.
    That's also the same trick that a great Sydney session drummer, Andrew Gander, had shown a class of us when I was doing lessons at Billy Hydes years back. I've been using the same idea for some of my students when I know they have a tendency to rush. It's something I still practice as much as I can today so that I can keep my time as solid as possible.....I program 3 bars of click or percussion on my Roland drum machine and leave the fourth bar silent. Especially when you practice three bars of rhythm with the click and one bar of drum fill without it....you can then tell straightaway whether or not you have a tendency to rush fills.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I wonder how I survived without ever playing with a 'nome or a click for 45 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I wonder how I survived without ever playing with a 'nome or a click for 45 years.
    Thats what I was thinking. I only ever used one in a studio.

User Info Menu

dam your band mates are just not nice ....

i would have walked

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoyaDrumr! View Post
    Thanks Mark, I really don't know what to do here. I have plugged my metronome into the PA so that the whole band gets in sync but we could barely hear it once the guitars started. So I placed it on the bass drum and just made it flash and the 2 guitar players told me the swore they saw it speed up. I don't want to get to the point where I am trying to prove them wrong, I just want to get to where I know 100% I am right.
    Timing on computers pretty darn accurate. The best in the business couldn't hope to compete with even your smart phone. And a dedicated metronome has only one function in life: keep time. I seriously, seriously doubt that any person is going to be better than either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    That means their timing is off.
    I'd bet lunch on this.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Here's a link that may help

http://bestdrumtrainer.com/tt/

It's pretty good to be able to check yours, or Mr "walking 'nome", time

Was a humbling experience when I first used it.
    That's awesome. I'd say that's way better than a standard metronome. Now to see if they have a smartphone app. TO THE APP STORE!
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

[QUOTE]
    I wonder how I survived without ever playing with a 'nome or a click for 45 years.[/QUOT
    I think way too big of a deal is made about tempo. The most important thing in band playing is playing together. With tight beginnings and endings and grooving throughout...Who cares if a song started at 120 bpm and ended at 123 bpm?

all the best...

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=kay-gee;553720]

I think way too big of a deal is made about tempo. The most important thing in band playing is playing together. With tight beginnings and endings and grooving throughout...Who cares if a song started at 120 bpm and ended at 123 bpm?

all the best...
    99% of drummers wouldn't notice a change from the beginning of a song to the end of a song of 3bpm. But I have seen bands that have started at 120 and ended at 140 or better. Even non-musicians notice that kind of change.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=LagerHead;553728]
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

99% of drummers wouldn't notice a change from the beginning of a song to the end of a song of 3bpm. But I have seen bands that have started at 120 and ended at 140 or better. Even non-musicians notice that kind of change.
    Im sorry but then he/she is a crap drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. I only ever used one in a studio.
    Personally, I don't like using them either, but if the "band" is having timing issues.....................it'd be a good tool to check

User Info Menu

Be at the point where you manipulate the click. For example pretend that the click is the off beat 8th note or even a certain 16th note division. This video really helped me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXE87DWaAg