Thread: Bassdrum resonance head hole / kickport placement

User Info Menu

Default Bassdrum resonance head hole / kickport placement

Does anyone have feedback on where the hole is placed on a resonance head? I've always placed it in the bottom right (4 o'clock) position, but have seen it centered, 2 o'clock, all over. I'm about to get a kickport for my 20x18, and will be cutting the head. Does it really matter where it will be placed? Is it more for looks or do you actually get different responses/sonic properties by putting the hole in a different area of the head?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bassdrum resonance head hole / kickport placement

I bought a reso head that was already ported and installed a kickport. The hole is at the 4 o'clock position. I don't know if it makes any difference or not where it's located, just as long as it isn't in the center.

I'm sure one of the other more experienced guys can answer better than I can. Where's late8 when ya need 'em? LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I think the res' port placement is about the mic placement and looks. You don't want that port /mic blocking the res' band logo, right?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Somebody asked the same question to Remo and here's their answer:

User Info Menu

Interesting - thanks guys!

Currently there's no logo like I have on my other kit. Considering the multiple bands I'm in now, I may just do the old initials. However I think that would probably look better on a coated white/off white resonant head which I'm tempted to do anyways. Deep reddish brown shells plus white heads looks pretty cool to me.

User Info Menu

A well made & tuned drum doesn't need a port.

User Info Menu

Personally, I think a center hole would dry it out more than an offset hole since the center hole is directly behind where the beater hits.

thats just what I think, im not sure though.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trommel View Post
    Your opinion....I cut a port so I can get my kick drum mic deep into the bass drum to hear the beater attack the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trommel View Post
    i think EVERY kick drum sounds better with a port .well tuned or not.. my port is part of my bands logo, its a one eyed smiling face. i use the oval shaped port as the 1 eye on the smiling face.. i really dont think the position of the port makes a difference in sound .. if you look in my profile you will see what i mean .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    i think EVERY kick drum sounds better with a port .well tuned or not.. my port is part of my bands logo, its a one eyed smiling face. i use the oval shaped port as the 1 eye on the smiling face.. i really dont think the position of the port makes a difference in sound .. if you look in my profile you will see what i mean .
    +1 on that. I bought a ported reso and installed a kickport. HUGE difference.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Well I placed the kickport in the usual location (4pm), and it DOES sound better. Infact just tapping on the batter head, you can hear the difference in sustain (it actually had a wave to it). Color me impressed- kickports do make a difference!

Of course it also makes the sound engineers happier too which never hurts.

User Info Menu

lol yep your sound guy will love ya for it. and your kick will sound much better out front..
    Tamaholic